Favorite Summer Vacation Spot?

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

The BIG trip is late August/Sept when we do a Windstar 10 day cruise (only 300 person ship) from Barcelona to Lisbon. Very excited for that one! (And I’m sure we’ll be thrilled to be home afterwards!) 

We don’t usually travel this much, but this is just how it worked out. Other than the cruise, the best part just might be a long weekend if we can sneak it in up in Highlands, NC. It’s not far away, but I can get a taste of the cooler weather many of you will be enjoying in WNY. Buffalo summers are awesome! 

Windstar cruise sounds great.  You will be spoiled.

Our next cruise will be a 14 day tour of the British Isles, Iceland and Scandinavia.

No that the kids are on their own, cruises seem to be our favorite vacation spot. 

8 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Good call Augie--Highlands is a tucked away gem in the NC mountains that features a lot of great bed & breakfast type locales, top notch!

My wife works with several people with places up there. They head up almost every weekend during the summer. We went for the first time late last summer, but God willing it will NOT be the last! 

8 minutes ago, LewPort71 said:

Windstar cruise sounds great.  You will be spoiled.

Our next cruise will be a 14 day tour of the British Isles, Iceland and Scandinavia.

No that the kids are on their own, cruises seem to be our favorite vacation spot. 

It was organized by our now retired priest. All he does now is put together trips and travel the world. He goes free for getting enough people signed up. He says he tries to never repeat a trip, because the world is a big place. He made an exception on this trip, he said it’s one of the best he’s ever done. He’s booked 50-60 people out of the 300 on the ship! It will be like a “reunion cruise” with so many old friends from Florida. 

Hope he can make it...he badly broke a leg near Machu Picchu or Galápagos Islands last year. Took 3 days  days to get off the mountain and back to the states. Fortunately one of the friends along with him was an orthopedic surgeon from church to help. Had surgery but pins and rods kept causing infections. Now removed he has to spend 45 days with his foot above his heart on an IV for antibiotics. Can you imagine!!!   Sorry, TMI.   ?

32 minutes ago, T&C said:

Favorite summer vacation here is heading back up to WNY for a week or more... good food, relatives/friends, and Letchworth + Watkins Glen. Ice cream too, can't get Perry's down here.

Lunch 

We actually spent our summers at Crystal Beach when I was a kid. (Dad drove in to work daily.)  I “got to” sleep out on the screened front porch. I learned later in life that there was just no more room inside the little cottage. To this day, I love sleeping out on the porch and often did on a hammock in Florida! 

The best place for our summer holidays is right here... you can't beat the South Island of New Zealand.

My favourite place for our (southern hemisphere) winters is either The Cook Islands (Rarotonga), or visiting friends and family in America, where it's the northern hemisphere's summer.

If I'm back for the NY summer, I have to spend time up in the Northern Adirondacks, away from the crowds in Lake Placid and the High Peaks. 

Edited by Bad Things
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Unfortunately, due to schedule conflicts, we almost always go to visit relatives in Florida for a week each summer.  Florida in the summer is brutal for a northerner like me.

My wife and I always spend a weekend in NYC as well.  My wife used to go with one of the kids, but now that they are grown she brings me instead.  We went a few weeks ago and saw the Temptations play/tribute. Loved it.

We always go to Old Forge, sometimes as day trips, and sometimes we rent a camp.  Last year we rented a large camp on Fourth Lake and invited several relatives.  It was great.

26 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Unfortunately, due to schedule conflicts, we almost always go to visit relatives in Florida for a week each summer.  Florida in the summer is brutal for a northerner like me.

My wife and I always spend a weekend in NYC as well.  My wife used to go with one of the kids, but now that they are grown she brings me instead.  We went a few weeks ago and saw the Temptations play/tribute. Loved it.

We always go to Old Forge, sometimes as day trips, and sometimes we rent a camp.  Last year we rented a large camp on Fourth Lake and invited several relatives.  It was great.

Not even summer yet, this is Tampa for the week:

lg_whats_ahead.jpg

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, T&C said:

Not even summer yet, this is Tampa for the week:

lg_whats_ahead.jpg

I always thought May was the hottest month there (50 miles south in Sarasota). The rains haven’t started yet, and that’s what cools things off. I found SC and GA to actually be hotter thru the summer. But if you’re from WNY I can see where it would be rough. That’s why EVERYBODY has a pool in FL. 

Edited by Augie

9 hours ago, T&C said:

The Comet is still going, its at The Great Escape in Queensbury NY...

Yes, I saw that BUT, it's not the same without getting a face full of those Canadian sand flies.  Also doubt that you could see downtown Buffalo from the top of their hill.

• Like (+1) 1

Family and I stayed at the farmhouse below in Brookesville Maine two summers ago and it was the best time of my life.  We hiked, went to the ocean and caught mussles to cook over the campfire, and explored some of the most amazing farmhouse restaurants I've ever been to.  I had my morning coffee on the deck watching the sun come up over a body of water down the street, and drank Alagash Beer while BBQing at night.   Just an amazing time.  There is a organic winery directly across the street with amazing blueberry wine.  Down the road is an ocean inlet with very people around.  Most relaxing seven days of my life.   My dream retirement.

Farmhouse Brookesville, ME

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Yes, I saw that BUT, it's not the same without getting a face full of those Canadian sand flies.  Also doubt that you could see downtown Buffalo from the top of their hill.

Ok.

Decent look at what it was... this was our big trip/outing in the summer in the 60's, could not wait for that day... it was magical back then to us kids. I will ride that Comet again lol.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bemus Point is nice, or many of those little towns on Seneca Lake.

27 minutes ago, T&C said:

Ok.

Decent look at what it was... this was our big trip/outing in the summer in the 60's, could not wait for that day... it was magical back then to us kids. I will ride that Comet again lol.

My sister used to wake us up on Saturday morning for the drive from Youngstown, NY! Early 70's...It was a classic time! Yes...the Comet!

Edited by Rocket94
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Bemus Point is nice, or many of those little towns on Seneca Lake.

My sister used to wake us up on Saturday morning for the drive from Youngstown, NY! Early 70's...It was a classic time! Yes...the Comet!

We also went here once a year on the 4th of July weekend... great park and great fireworks over the lake... it is still there: http://www.newconneautlakepark.com/

2 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I agree...some nostalgia cannot be repeated...or should I say history!

2 minutes ago, T&C said:

We also went here once a year on the 4th of July weekend... great park and great fireworks over the lake... it is still there: http://www.newconneautlakepark.com/

Never heard of it. Think of all of the treasures we miss. I hope you had a riot!

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, T&C said:

Ok.

I know it's the Comet but I remember it with those screens on the front car, to cut through the freakin flies.  No screens, not the same Comet to me.

28 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I know it's the Comet but I remember it with those screens on the front car, to cut through the freakin flies.  No screens, not the same Comet to me.

Don't remember any flies and I probably went there 12 years in a row... there was no screen. You must have gone there at a different time of the year.

Moving on..  the Smokey Mountains is another place that is nice to go to, just beautiful... peaceful. The little creeks are a bonus here.

24 minutes ago, T&C said:

Don't remember any flies and I probably went there 12 years in a row... there was no screen. You must have gone there at a different time of the year.

Moving on..  the Smokey Mountains is another place that is nice to go to, just beautiful... peaceful. The little creeks are a bonus here.

We stayed at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville a couple months ago with wife, son and his GF. Had not been there in decades, but I will still highly recommend it. Just don’t get one of the rooms in the oldest sections if you can help it.....”functional obsolescence“ is an appropriate term.  Still a great stay! 

Edited by Augie