NFL Bills QB Josh Allen discusses why he rarely threw into tight coverages in the 2018 season

7 hours ago, loyal2dagame said:

Translation of Allen's comments: 

Kelvin Benjamin couldn't catch a cold if he was standing outside naked with a hose spraying on him in the middle of a Buffalo winter.

Now that's a pretty picture.

9 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

One big issue, Tanner Gentry is a guy you would say had good chemistry with Allen in college, you watch Allens college games and he wouldn't throw to him in tight coverages either. It's the type of QB he is. He holds onto the ball till a guy gets open

Agreed. I think trust goes both ways for a QB. He has to trust his WR. But he also has to trust his own decision making and ability. 

Unsure JA is just saying he didn’t trust his WR’s here. He may not have trusted himself to either make the throw, or the read. That’s not a knock, if anything I hope that’s what he was saying as well because it would be a pretty honest appraisal of his current skill set. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, White Linen said:

At some point you have to stop with the "idiots" comments and all of that.   Just make your argument on substance.  

Hahaha, should I refer you back to the NY Giants thread fellow hypocrite?

Edited by downunderbill

17 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...biggest crock of crap on the planet.....to borrow Cowher's OL assessment...."THE most important UNIT on the football field....if it breaks down as a UNIT, all else fails".....significant learning curve for individuals to get familiar with mates' tendencies before they jell as a UNIT......you think for one damn minute the NFL HOF stalwart tandems like Hitch/Jones or Shell/Upshaw developed their nuances OVERNIGHT?.....why did our OL nose dive with Richie's demise?   CERTAINLY could NOT have had anything to do with establishing left side OL rhythm over time....it's just "plug 'n play" as your suggest (oh boy)......

Only excuses are the ones some posters will be making for stupidity.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

He had to build TRUST.  

Get in sync with 

the same will apply this season 

hopefully this can be worked on in camp and PS 

At least he will get first team reps this year and not start 3rd on the depth chart with a rotation, that plus a better chance our receivers in camp will still be on the team in December should help alot.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, loyal2dagame said:

Kelvin Benjamin couldn't catch a cold if he was standing outside naked with a hose spraying on him in the middle of a Buffalo winter.

Didn't Zay try that? I heard he got a brain freeze and walked straight into a glass window..

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

Yeah Morse will hopefully gets things to jell faster. Just like Josh explains it with the timing and trust issues between him and receivers, so do the OLinemen have to know what the others will do with blitz pickups, assignments, etc. when defenses surprise them.

And indeed, Josh and excuses don't belong in the same sentence. He's never made any. His head is on straight: willing to learn, humble, respectful to teammates and coaches, while at the same time supremely confident in his abilities and mega competitive.

This is what I was thinking...only so much shine you can put on the turd which was last year.

Last year, other than Foster the rest of the revolving receiving core were inconsistent to terrible.

3 step drops and timing? Don't make me laugh, as Allen was pressured on nearly 40% of his drops.

Folks act all innocent and offended when they toss a lamp grenade out there that reads like Allen had to lean on weak excuses for not hooking up better with our receivers last year.

Of course that is going generate some backlash, as Allen had as many valid reasons for poor passing stats as that former rookie QB in Arizona had, yet still found ways to move that offense.

With veteran receivers running the correct routes to the correct depth and (once they gel - fingers crossed) an o-line that can block for a three-step drop with a clean pocket...the numbers will get better.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

"The hell with facts"...you say that "gelling" and "chemistry" are just myths, created by fans in order to provide excuses (my interpretation of your post), yet anyone that's played the game, especially the best to have played, all will tell you otherwise...

I have the pleasure of acquaintance with a SB winning, HOF retired LT - among the best to have played in some views.  (Folks who've been here a while know my kid attended the same school and was good friends with his son, no mystery, but acquaintance is all I claim).  Anyway, we had some conversation at a party about playing OL.   I can confirm that he felt "gelling" and and "chemistry" were far from fan myths or something players say in front of media and privately don't believe in.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

It is funny I posted what I did thinking if I don't make it a paragraph explaining what I mean when he has no excuses people would go crazy... Sure enough people can't handle the internet.

usually when someone says no more excuses its because there were previous reasons sed player brought up before

Josh never pointed out flaws in other peoples game he just focused on himself which is one of the things that endeared him to me.. He is no prima donna type.

I can see why people reacted the way they did I wanted to immediately after reading it. More likely do to lack of tone of voice and body language to read.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have the pleasure of acquaintance with a SB winning, HOF retired LT - among the best to have played in some views.  (Folks who've been here a while know my kid attended the same school and was good friends with his son, no mystery, but acquaintance is all I claim).  Anyway, we had some conversation at a party about playing OL.   I can confirm that he felt "gelling" and and "chemistry" were far from fan myths or something players say in front of media and privately don't believe in.

I am a OL coach (up to a small college level)

It is not a myth......

• Like (+1) 4

On 5/19/2019 at 12:28 PM, loyal2dagame said:

Translation 2:   "I never knew where the hell Zay Jones was going to be on the field--and neither did he."

6 hours ago, ddaryl said:

usually when someone says no more excuses its because there were previous reasons sed player brought up before

Josh never pointed out flaws in other peoples game he just focused on himself which is one of the things that endeared him to me.. He is no prima donna type.

I can see why people reacted the way they did I wanted to immediately after reading it. More likely do to lack of tone of voice and body language to read.

The player with no more excuses this year IMHO is Zay Jones.

1st season: played with injury

2nd season: missed OTAs and part of training camp after surgery for injury, 4-QB carousel

3rd season: healthy, says he has added lean weight and is ready to bring it

22 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

And why this was the Key pickup in  FA . Something i was very proud the Bills recognized , were will to pay for and then accomplish.

Game changer.

Allen will need to settle in/ down this season and get rhythm  and timing down with new O line and pass catchers.

he is the man in charge now. no question.

...agree....we just cannot let this kid think he needs to put the entire team on HIS shoulders weekly despite being willing to do it.....needs to be our long term answer at QB versus a short term gurney rider....just a pedestrian observation.....he needs to temper the "howitzer" into a touch/finesse trait for the shorter stuff, which I think Dorsey and Palmer can do.....and despite his uncanny ability for his size and agility, he needs to be more selective when pulling the ball down (perhaps prematurely?) to scramble to preserve his longevity IMO.....

20 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...agree....we just cannot let this kid think he needs to put the entire team on HIS shoulders weekly despite being willing to do it.....needs to be our long term answer at QB versus a short term gurney rider....just a pedestrian observation.....he needs to temper the "howitzer" into a touch/finesse trait for the shorter stuff, which I think Dorsey and Palmer can do.....and despite his uncanny ability for his size and agility, he needs to be more selective when pulling the ball down (perhaps prematurely?) to scramble to preserve his longevity IMO.....

the Tortoise and the Hare to some degree perhaps ? 

Let everyone do their job.

but honestly we all needed the spark he gave us last year. Many times he showed us his heart of a Bull. and the red cape being the endzone.

I am a believer in Josh Allen. even if becomes less than elite , i will be cheering for the Boy.
This year should be fun. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

the Tortoise and the Hare to some degree perhaps ? 

Let everyone do their job.

but honestly we all needed the spark he gave us last year. Many times he showed us his heart of a Bull. and the red cape being the endzone.

I am a believer in Josh Allen. even if becomes less than elite , i will be cheering for the Boy.
This year should be fun. 

...absolutely......one simple statement I read from this kid tells me there is some "no bawls...no blue chips...no guts ..no glory" moxy......his quote was "OUR team and OUR family".....so now I'll hang up and wait for my usual detractors to tell me about "kool-aid" is my blind favorite...go figure.....

12 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...absolutely......one simple statement I read from this kid tells me there is some "no bawls...no blue chips...no guts ..no glory" moxy......his quote was "OUR team and OUR family".....so now I'll hang up and wait for my usual detractors to tell me about "kool-aid" is my blind favorite...go figure.....

I keep a batch in the cellar ( kool aid )
 Distill it myself. sipping a snort back once and again never hurt no body.
Allen may be the one to turn this offense. like Lorenzo Hyde White have on the other side

• Like (+1) 1