NFL Bills QB Josh Allen discusses why he rarely threw into tight coverages in the 2018 season

HOUSE

2 minutes ago, AmishRifle said:

Can’t we all just get along?  

What's funny is everyone is basically saying the same thing. Josh Allen has no choice but to be much better with what they did around him. 

Sadly some don't understand that.

4 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

What are you talking about I was just saying he has no excuses now b.c of what they have done with the team.

Well, the excuses would be that he is only a 2nd year QB, still raw and inexperienced, lacks a true #1 receiver, and is playing behind a brand new oline that will likely take many games to mesh and play well together. I don't agree that he has no excuse. He is still a work in progress, as is the entire offense.

We didn't bring anyone in who is more than just average except for perhaps Morse. So we shouldn't expect the offense to be better than average.

Expectations are through the roof for Josh and I do not think he is going to be as good as everyone believes this season. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Josh Allen supporter. I just think he still has a long road ahead.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

That's funny since I am in the crowd that has to defend him. Sadly people don't understand what gets said and when it comes to the internet the first thing they do is attack what they don't understand like idiots.

Colts serve as the best example they upgraded almost everyone in that line and from day one you saw the difference. Today's NFL is easier on the offense as a whole.

At some point you have to stop with the "idiots" comments and all of that.   Just make your argument on substance.  

The offensive line does take time to come together.  However with all the player and coach movement - teams, coaches and players have gotten better at tightening things up in less time.  Offensive lines staying together and gelling in time is a thing of the past.  The same goes for the defenses -  so it does even itself out.  

There will be some communication penalties and missed assignments - it's naive to think that won't happen.  

I hate the excuses argument.  Allen is heading into his second year with likely 4 new lineman.  It won't be an excuse if that all doesn't come together - it's expected.  It won't come all together.  Allen is building a career and most believe he'll take another leap this year.  To say he and the offensive line are without excuse is just following the same vein of what you detest.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

What are you talking about I was just saying he has no excuses now b.c of what they have done with the team.

I think I understand what you are trying to say......

I thought Josh did pretty well with the situation he had last year and I expect him to take another step forward with improved protection and talent at WR......anything less then improvement would be dissapointing

Is that what you are trying to say?

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think I understand what you are trying to say......

I thought Josh did pretty well with the situation he had last year and I expect him to take another step forward with improved protection and talent at WR......anything less then improvement would be dissapointing

Is that what you are trying to say?

Yes, they improved everything they could around this kid. Now it is up to him to take his game to the next level. If we have failure at the QB position people here have no excuses as to why it is happening. 

Edited by Boca BIlls

I think Allen was also referring to the following things:

*  He didn't get a lot of first team snaps during training camp and the preseason.  How many guys did he throw the ball to who weren't even on the team in week 1?   Timing issues with his receivers largely happened as a result of his lack of first team reps during the preseason.  

*  The Bills also changed up their receiving corp drastically over the course of the season.  They let Benjamin & Holmes go and signed McKenzie.  This further hindered the ability of Allen to develop rapport with his receivers.  

By simply giving Allen the lions share of 1st team reps in training camp and during the pre-season games, he will have a much better opportunity to work out any timing issues with his receivers.  This alone almost guarantees better passing production.  Throw in the fact that the receiving group has been significantly upgraded talent wise and we have reason to be optimistic.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

He had to build TRUST.  

Get in sync with 

the same will apply this season 

hopefully this can be worked on in camp and PS 

Starting TC and rest of offseason program as the unquestioned #1 should help quite a bit with building said chemistry. The CBA’s weakness is in the limiting of time the coaches and players have with each other outside of the season, so every minute/rep that they do get is precious imho.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Starting TC and rest of offseason program as the unquestioned #1 should help quite a bit with building said chemistry. The CBA’s weakness is in the limiting of time the coaches and players have with each other outside of the season, so every minute/rep that they do get is precious imho.

Everyone is subject to the same rules and most of them have no problem with second year QB's.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Everyone is subject to the same rules and most of them have no problem with second year QB's.

Agreed. Josh also has the edge on guys like Trubisky and Goff in that he'll be playing in the same system under the same coordinator. Developing chemistry between coordinator/QB can take time just as it can take time for new players to get on the same page.

The Bills still have below average talent, namely at receiver, but there's enough to work with. The talent is not such that you'd expect an MVP type season, but I expect Allen to make a pretty significant stride in year two. Not quite sure what the debate is about.

Edited by LSHMEAB

5 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

The O-Line doesn't really take long to come together like other positions. You should see the improvement immediately. This year the team will only be as good as him, everything around him is in place.

I partially agree with this. Keep in mind, though, that the Bills not only have several new offensive linemen, but also a new offensive line coach. The level of talent across the line is certainly improved, but these linemen will be tasked with a similar challenge that Allen and the mostly new WR/TE corps will have: building chemistry with each other. In all likelihood, there will not be two linemen on the field that have played with the guy next to him before. Allen will have a new center, Ford is a rookie; I don't think we should expect to see a finely tuned offensive line "immediately", but "improvement immediately" (over last year's line) may be possible.

I do believe that the general perception of an o-line "gelling-grace period" is a bit overblown, but for this squad, it may take a few weeks to see them at full potential. Too much "newness" all around IMO for them to come out and show a vast improvement immediately (although I would love to be proven wrong by them).

And as far as "everything around him is in place"...while I really like the moves made this offseason and the approach taken by the FO, I'm not ready to say that everything is in place just yet. This may be a good group to build with for the future, yet they're probably a piece or two away from really putting them over the top. That, and the idea that this group has a lot of work to do to get on the same page. The roster is far from set at this point as well...

Ultimately this season probably does ride on how much of a leap Allen takes in his progression (a decent/good run game would certainly help matters). The fact that he's entering an offseason program as the entrenched starter should help him advance at a more rapid rate than last offseason, and the system is the same, but what may make the hill a bit harder for him to climb will be the numerous new faces on offense IMO. Unless Daboll comes out ultra agressive to start the season, I don't expect to see drastic improvement on offense early in the year (granted, an average offense would be drastically better than what we saw to start 2018). But if the defense can start the season better than last, a marginally better offense could be all that's needed for a couple early Ws.

So, I guess saying that I "partially agree" may have been a bit generous...I wouldn't say that Allen is out of excuses this year...that may not be the best choice of words; I do believe that there are a few valid reasons as to why things may not quite come together just yet, or so soon. I think that's part of the reasoning behind the "pundits" that are saying the Bills should be better this year and like what this regime has done and is doing, but not quite ready to unseat the **Pats. We may see a nice glimpse into the future from, say, week 9 or 10 on, but early season struggles caused by the reasons I mentioned may be what keeps the Bills just outside of the WC picture in the end. 

*edit: this was my first post since probably the end of last season, and I have only been back lurking since the draft. I'm sure I've missed a lot here, but my sanity is restored :D

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

5 hours ago, Chill said:

Honeymoon is over, expectations have risen.  No more excuses for Josh. The pieces are in place, it’s time to produce. 

Honeymoon is not over till i say it is.

Offense is nearly brand new this year ! huge makeover including Coaches.

relax my friend. or perhaps ? Chill  : )

it will come together

5 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

100% accurate. I only played into college division 2 and I will tell you oline can take the longest to play together as a unit. Five different people all have to do their job or it can impact every other persons performance. 

QB is the most singular important position in football but oline is the most important position group. 

yes and yes

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalophil1948 said:

I believe the biggest asset to the oline is Morse. No one was in charge of the oline last year. Morse is the only definitive starter at his position. With him taking charge of the protections and blocking scheme things will come together a little faster. This will help Allen the most and the running game

And why this was the Key pickup in  FA . Something i was very proud the Bills recognized , were will to pay for and then accomplish.

Game changer.

Allen will need to settle in/ down this season and get rhythm  and timing down with new O line and pass catchers.

he is the man in charge now. no question.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Yes he is, but this forum will try to find plenty of excuses for him anyway.

The one I anticipate the most will be "So much turnover on the entire roster in just a single off-season.  The team didn't have time to "gel" and build "chemistry".

(Keeping in mind "gelling" and "chemistry" are fan created fictions).

For whatever reason, these online sports forums attract mostly a certain kind of fan.  They are the kool aid drinkers and just want to feel good about their team and the hell with facts.  They are hear to say "rah rah" and nothing else.  

The real world isn't like that; it's easy to go out and find Bills fans who offer intelligent, objective discussion of the team.  

Not totally sure what that's about.

"The hell with facts"...you say that "gelling" and "chemistry" are just myths, created by fans in order to provide excuses (my interpretation of your post), yet anyone that's played the game, especially the best to have played, all will tell you otherwise...

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, rayray808 said:

I'm in love with him... there I said it

It was assumed already.

: )

2 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

That's funny since I am in the crowd that has to defend him. Sadly people don't understand what gets said and when it comes to the internet the first thing they do is attack what they don't understand like idiots.

Colts serve as the best example they upgraded almost everyone in that line and from day one you saw the difference. Today's NFL is easier on the offense as a whole.

and they got rid of the Coach already.

Many factors play into this.

Dennison did not get the best from his guys i felt. Kromer got more than i expected.

I have confidence in Daboll crew et al

1 hour ago, AmishRifle said:

Can’t we all just get along?  

go diddle  yurself

3 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Um, bro, the 2018 Colts started 1-5. That’s pretty much the definition of taking time to work together. They definitely did not gel from day one. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1