NFL Bills QB Josh Allen discusses why he rarely threw into tight coverages in the 2018 season

1 hour ago, Boca BIlls said:

Now Josh Allen is out of excuses this year. 

Stop taking it out of context... 

Yes he is, but this forum will try to find plenty of excuses for him anyway.

The one I anticipate the most will be "So much turnover on the entire roster in just a single off-season.  The team didn't have time to "gel" and build "chemistry".

(Keeping in mind "gelling" and "chemistry" are fan created fictions).

1 hour ago, Boca BIlls said:

It is funny I posted what I did thinking if I don't make it a paragraph explaining what I mean when he has no excuses people would go crazy... Sure enough people can't handle the internet.

For whatever reason, these online sports forums attract mostly a certain kind of fan.  They are the kool aid drinkers and just want to feel good about their team and the hell with facts.  They are hear to say "rah rah" and nothing else.  

The real world isn't like that; it's easy to go out and find Bills fans who offer intelligent, objective discussion of the team.  

Not totally sure what that's about.

45 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...quite simple....."excuses" and "Josh" do NOT belong in the same sentence PERIOD....so what the hell are YOU talking about?...purely asinine statement......this kid is well grounded and owns up to his mistakes.....we could always hope for a RG I 7/8 as in "the W was ME" but "the L was on my teammates" type....yup, HIM....

In all fairness, they kinda do. His team at Wyoming was garbage, which explains his less than stellar college statistics. Last season, the Bills offensive talent WAS awful, which explains his completion percentage.

Excuses and explanations certainly overlap on a zen diagram, so not all excuses are created equal. Sometimes they have merit and there's certainly quite a bit of truth to the two examples I cited. Wyoming was not very good offensively and the Bills offensive talent was terrible in 2018. But one man's explanation is another man's excuse. Semantics.

Allen does appear to have a great head on his shoulders and has a certain aura that I find encouraging. At some point, there SHOULD be results and not explanations. I think that's what BB was driving at. This will (obviously as Marrone once said) be a big year for Josh.

This snippet was the first time I've heard him utter anything that could CONCEIVABLY be viewed as an excuse. I understand what he was saying and his intent; a diplomatic way of stating the truth about the surrounding talent. So it has little to do with Allen making excuses for himself and much to do with the overall explanation of circumstance.

• Like (+1) 1

I believe the biggest asset to the oline is Morse. No one was in charge of the oline last year. Morse is the only definitive starter at his position. With him taking charge of the protections and blocking scheme things will come together a little faster. This will help Allen the most and the running game

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Chill said:

The thing with Josh is that he’s young.  As he gains more experience he will mature; hopefully into a great player. 

Excuses will just hinder his development. Second year, he will be treated differently, by the coaching staff, players, fans etc. 

No more rookie coddling. 

This year is the time to prove his potential. 

Oh yeah, you’re gonna work out just fine here. I have a sense about these things..

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yeah Morse will hopefully gets things to jell faster. Just like Josh explains it with the timing and trust issues between him and receivers, so do the OLinemen have to know what the others will do with blitz pickups, assignments, etc. when defenses surprise them.

And indeed, Josh and excuses don't belong in the same sentence. He's never made any. His head is on straight: willing to learn, humble, respectful to teammates and coaches, while at the same time supremely confident in his abilities and mega competitive.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Oh yeah, you’re gonna work out just fine here. I have a sense about these things..

Ah. Thanks man. I really appreciate the support.

There is nothing better than a room full of Bills fans to discuss our favorite team. This place is great!!

• Like (+1) 1

The offense will be better from day one just because of the upgrade in talent. But it will take time for the line to come together as well as the QB and WR’s to get the timing and trust they need. Josh also needs to keep developing as a QB. I saw him start last season, and I saw him at the end, so I’m encouraged. 

The “no more excuses crowd” seems to be just getting ready to pounce on any failure they perceive. It will take time for all this to come together. Progress does not equal perfection. Be prepared for it to take time, but hopefully show consistent improvement.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The jury is still out on josh but I really do love everything about the kid.  

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

The offense will be better from day one just because of the upgrade in talent. But it will take time for the line to come together as well as the QB and WR’s to get the timing and trust they need. Josh also needs to keep developing as a QB. I saw him start last season, and I saw him at the end, so I’m encouraged. 

The “no more excuses crowd” seems to be just getting ready to pounce on any failure they perceive. It will take time for all this to come together. Progress does not equal perfection. Be prepared for it to take time, but hopefully show consistent improvement.

They are always ready to pounce and say “I told you so”.  They’ve had success over the last 20+ years due too not having a qb, HC and GM worth a dam.  I think we have all 3 in place.  It’s up to josh to keep them there

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, NewEra said:

They are always ready to pounce and say “I told you so”.  They’ve had success over the last 20+ years due too not having a qb, HC and GM worth a dam.  I think we have all 3 in place.  It’s up to josh to keep them there

Yes the whole 3 or 4 in their fan club are ready to break out the hand lotion if things dont go well.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

For "some," the last 20 years have instilled this mentality and "they'd" LOVE to be proven wrong.

3 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

It is funny I posted what I did thinking if I don't make it a paragraph explaining what I mean when he has no excuses people would go crazy... Sure enough people can't handle the internet.

People can’t handle the internet. 

OK, if you say so.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Or, you lack basic writing skills. Your comment read as very snide. Also, I didn't see anyone go crazy. So, maybe your reading comprehension is as much a growth opportunity as your writing. Let's begin with commas...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Augie said:

That's funny since I am in the crowd that has to defend him. Sadly people don't understand what gets said and when it comes to the internet the first thing they do is attack what they don't understand like idiots.

Colts serve as the best example they upgraded almost everyone in that line and from day one you saw the difference. Today's NFL is easier on the offense as a whole.

Edited by Boca BIlls