NFL Bills QB Josh Allen discusses why he rarely threw into tight coverages in the 2018 season

Image result for josh allen qb

Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen took big steps forward during his rookie season but there is one thing he failed to do much, throw into tight coverage. Allen impressed with his big arm but when there was a tight window he backed away from the opportunity and would either throw it away or check it down to someone more open.

After the Bills’ Week 16 loss to the Patriots, Allen explained why he had such a big issue throwing into such tight windows.

“It’s all about timing, trust and the relationship that you have with the guys out there,” Allen said via The Athletic. “We’re still relatively new with each other. To go through and play games like that and have opportunities that were so close but slip away, it definitely gives us confidence as we move forward. We’ll work on them and clean those things up, and in no time we’ll be completing those — having trust on depth, on timing in my drop and expecting guys to be where they are and they’re going to be there.”

https://clutchpoints.com/bills-news-josh-allen-discusses-why-he-rarely-threw-into-tight-coverages-in-the-2018-season/

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen took big steps forward during his rookie season but there is one thing he failed to do much, throw into tight coverage. Allen impressed with his big arm but when there was a tight window he backed away from the opportunity and would either throw it away or check it down to someone more open.

After the Bills’ Week 16 loss to the Patriots, Allen explained why he had such a big issue throwing into such tight windows.

“It’s all about timing, trust and the relationship that you have with the guys out there,” Allen said via The Athletic. “We’re still relatively new with each other. To go through and play games like that and have opportunities that were so close but slip away, it definitely gives us confidence as we move forward. We’ll work on them and clean those things up, and in no time we’ll be completing those — having trust on depth, on timing in my drop and expecting guys to be where they are and they’re going to be there.”

https://clutchpoints.com/bills-news-josh-allen-discusses-why-he-rarely-threw-into-tight-coverages-in-the-2018-season/

...pretty damn good head on his shoulders to assess his 1st year....good find House.....:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

That's a very diplomatic way of saying, "You saw the receivers we had last year. Would you throw to them in tight coverage?"

...realistically though, after Waste Management hauled away McBeane's cap cleanup dregs, he only had so much money, bubble gum and band aids left to make a significant impact on the WR corp....but IMO, it certainly looks like we could have some formidable camp competition at WR which hopefully is a substantial upgrade for Josh...

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...realistically though, after Waste Management hauled away McBeane's cap clenup dregs, he only had so much money, bubble gum and band aids left to make a significant impact on the WR corp....but IMO, it certainly looks like we could have some formidable camp competition at WR which hopefully is a substantial upgrade for Josh...

I agree. That wasn't a bash on the team or anything, just an acknowledgment that Josh didn't have much to work with under the circumstances. The WR corps has definitely improved this year, not to mention the o-line, so I expect better results all around.

7 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

What are you talking about I was just saying he has no excuses now b.c of what they have done with the team.

...quite simple....."excuses" and "Josh" do NOT belong in the same sentence PERIOD....so what the hell are YOU talking about?...purely asinine statement......this kid is well grounded and owns up to his mistakes.....we could always hope for a RG I 7/8 as in "the W was ME" but "the L was on my teammates" type....yup, HIM....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...quite simple....."excuses" and "Josh" do NOT belong in the same sentence PERIOD....so what the hell are YOU talking about?...purely asinine statement......this kid is well grounded and own up to his mistakes.....we could always hope for a RG I 7/8 as in "the W was ME" but "the L was on my teammates" type....yup, HIM....

Dear God, I broke the internet. People can't understand anymore without holding their hands.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I agree. That wasn't a bash on the team or anything, just an acknowledgment that Josh didn't have much to work with under the circumstances. The WR corps has definitely improved this year, not to mention the o-line, so I expect better results all around.

....agree and good call bud.....:thumbsup:.

I fully expect Josh to take a step forward this year but I think year 3 will be his breakout year. 

The Bills offense is a work in progress. You have a completely new OL that needs time to jell, that could take half a season or more.  You have many new WRs and TEs for Josh to work with.  Josh himself has much more to learn on technique.   Is he going to play like Mahommes in year 2?  Likely not.  

The running out of excuses comments are not accurate when Josh himself did not make excuses.  He was considered a project with a ton of physical skill. Nothing has changed.  

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Bob in STL said:

I fully expect Josh to take a step forward this year but I think year 3 will be his breakout year. 

The Bills offense is a work in progress. You have a completely new OL that needs time to jell, that could take half a season or more.  You have many new WRs and TEs for Josh to work with.  Josh himself has much more to learn on technique.   Is he going to play like Mahommes in year 2?  Likely not.  

The running out of excuses comments are not accurate when Josh himself did not make excuses.  He was considered a project with a ton of physical skill. Nothing has changed.  

The O-Line doesn't really take long to come together like other positions. You should see the improvement immediately. This year the team will only be as good as him, everything around him is in place.

45 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Since it relies upon an Athletic article for its material, might as well link that here (Paywall, trial available):
https://theathletic.com/981080/2019/05/17/how-much-better-can-josh-allen-and-the-bills-offense-be-an-analytical-breakdown-heading-into-2019/

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

He had to build TRUST.  

Get in sync with 

the same will apply this season 

hopefully this can be worked on in camp and PS 

...pretty sure it has been published that he has been working with Jordan Palmer during the off season.....just a speculative hunch, but I get the feel that this kid is committed to excellence and fulfilling those hoping he IS the franchise QB....

• Like (+1) 3