PI Challenge- Does it hurt the Pats?

McVeigh was the  PMT interview this morning, and it was interesting to hear him talk about how this being reviewable, and especially if they do switch it to coaches challenge through the whole game, will affect not only how he  game plans thinking PI will be called more,  but how he uses timeouts as well as challenges throughout the game. Cant drop a red flag unless you have a timeout right?

Man, I can just see some dolt coach losing a game cause he burned a timeout to save 5 yards on a delay of game call early in the 3rd quarter..and then doesn't have a TO left to challenge a PI on a huge play with 30 seconds left in the game.

Edited by plenzmd1

On 5/19/2019 at 8:02 AM, KD in CA said:

Riiiight.  Just like every other rule change has hurt NE*.   

If you think refs making judgement calls on inconclusive replay reviews favors anyone other than the league's marquee teams, you are dreaming.

Exactly,  the league will continue to do what it's done for years. Help navigate games for their precious marquee "revenue generating" darlings.

10 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

McVeigh was the  PMT interview this morning, and it was interesting to hear him talk about how this being reviewable, and especially if they do switch it to coaches challenge through the whole game, will affect not only how he  game plans thinking PI will be called more,  but how he uses timeouts as well as challenges throughout the game. Cant drop a red flag unless you have a timeout right?

Man, I can just see some dolt coach losing a game cause he burned a timeout to save 5 yards on a delay of game call early in the 3rd quarter..and then doesn't have a TO left to challenge a PI on a huge play with 30 seconds left in the game.

good point. And McD is the leader in wasting TO's "just to calm everybody down" at times when on D. This has train wreck written all over it for Bills.

• 5 weeks later...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27017122/nfl-finalizes-pi-replay-challenge-rule-2019

The NFL's Competition Committee finalized its new rule Thursday for reviewing pass interference, opting against several suggested tweaks and upholding the wording owners originally approved in March.

As a result, coaches will be able to challenge pass interference calls or no-calls up until the two-minute warning of either half. In the final two minutes of each half and in overtime, on-site replay officials will be responsible for stopping the game to review pass interference, as they are for all other reviewable plays.

19 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27017122/nfl-finalizes-pi-replay-challenge-rule-2019

The NFL's Competition Committee finalized its new rule Thursday for reviewing pass interference, opting against several suggested tweaks and upholding the wording owners originally approved in March.

As a result, coaches will be able to challenge pass interference calls or no-calls up until the two-minute warning of either half. In the final two minutes of each half and in overtime, on-site replay officials will be responsible for stopping the game to review pass interference, as they are for all other reviewable plays.

this is gunna get ugly.....a subjective, all over the field penalty..in the hands of a video judge ..that can decide a game.....wow...I predict tis rule lasts exactly 1 year..if not shorter

• Like (+1) 1

if you are convinced there is a conspiracy to ruin the team you cheer for....

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that replay could provide will give you any comfort

we are 3 decades now into replay, the folks back in Toronto and NYC and whatever just rule whatever the heck they want irrespective of what a replay clearly shows

actually the new rules will make it worse because fools think it will vindicate their conspiracy and help their team win....  this will be hilarious....

Bills are better off developing TALENT and building a real contender that doesn't have to whine to the refs to bail them out, i believe they are doing this as i type this... finally...

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Dopey said:

NFL officials need to be full time employees and made to pass physicals. Too much money going around for refs to be "part timers".

"NFL plans to hire up to 24 full-time game officials"

https://money.cnn.com/2017/08/09/news/companies/nfl-referees-full-time-hires/index.html

Does anyone know if this has happened. And why only 24?

24 is an odd number since we typically see 16 games per week  

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2019 at 2:41 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

Gronk definitely retired at the right time. As for the league darling Patsies, they will continue to have games steered in their favor as long as Brady suits up.

Cause he gets to the line with a lot of time to read the D and adjust?

while the Bills saunter and loaf up the field arguing about the next play as 20 more seconds wind off the clock in the last two minutes, down two scores.

On 6/21/2019 at 8:54 AM, Dopey said:

NFL officials need to be full time employees and made to pass physicals. Too much money going around for refs to be "part timers".

"NFL plans to hire up to 24 full-time game officials"

https://money.cnn.com/2017/08/09/news/companies/nfl-referees-full-time-hires/index.html

Does anyone know if this has happened. And why only 24?

What do ‘full time’ officials do the other 340 or so days of the year?

4 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

What do ‘full time’ officials do the other 340 or so days of the year?

I think many of them have at least a part time gig in an Asian Day Spa.  

(I’m sorry, I still get a chuckle out of that little disaster.) 

• Haha (+1) 1