PI Challenge- Does it hurt the Pats?

i read an article the other day- i can not remember where- that was written by SB referee of the Rams vs Pats*. he stated that under new rule the rams could have challenged a throw to the one yard line that would have been overturned in their favor in 4th qtr. In that case it would have definitely changed the game. when it comes to NFL officials I think the line from " Catch Me If You Can" applies to Pats* " The same reason the Yankees keep winning- they are distracted by the pinstripes"

I'm in favor of any rule change that improves the accuracy of calls on the field.

Have this debate with my Dad all the time. I think MLB should go with K Zone and be done with umpires calling balls and strikes. He counters with "umpires are part of the game and it's OK for an ump to give the pitcher the benefit of the doubt if they've been close." Absurd. A ball is a ball and a strike is a strike.

I could see this hurting the Pats (and others) with some of their pick plays, but why is that a problem? If it was a pick, it should be called accordingly.

More oversight is almost certainly better for the Bills who often get the shaft. What's the problem?

*coaches still have only 2 challenges unless they gat a 3rd for successfully challenging two previous calls which is rare

*coaches cannot challenge inside two minutes so such a challenge would have to be the refs challenging a call they felt they missed

*coaches still lose a timeout with an unsuccessful challenge so to think all of a sudden a bunch of coaches would start throwing challenge flags for phantom PI's and blow a timeout outside the last two minutes is nothing more than paranoia.

This is a solid rule and will not make games longer like some people are implying. Pass interference would be one of the easier challengeable calls to make.

10 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Sunday morning, and I am bored.

Read this article yesterday, and it got me thinking

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001031090/article/are-changes-upcoming-for-pi-penalty-challenges

#1) I HATE this freaking rule

#2) Every big pass play/TD in last two minutes going to be challenged...what a beating this rule is going to be. Forget ever being able to celebrate a late TD scored by your team on a pass play., cause maybe there was a pick at yard 3, or a push off by the receiver at yard 7.. no matter what it is going to be challenged!

#3) Could this actually hurt the Pats? 

Do the Pats still run a bunch of rub/pick plays? Maybe those types of plays have to go out the window at critical junctions of the game?  Do all kind of screens  late in games now become riskier?

Thoughts?

Can't challenge within the last 2 minutes, correct? Probably save it for within 3 mins for dbags like Belicheat though.

11 hours ago, StHustle said:

*coaches still have only 2 challenges unless they gat a 3rd for successfully challenging two previous calls which is rare

*coaches cannot challenge inside two minutes so such a challenge would have to be the refs challenging a call they felt they missed

*coaches still lose a timeout with an unsuccessful challenge so to think all of a sudden a bunch of coaches would start throwing challenge flags for phantom PI's and blow a timeout outside the last two minutes is nothing more than paranoia.

This is a solid rule and will not make games longer like some people are implying. Pass interference would be one of the easier challengeable calls to make.

At the owners meeting this week, that are going to consider changing the 2 minute rule only for this call. The thinking is I guess they will have to review every pass play within 2 minutes and it will become unbearable. 

So so I see almost all coaches saving a challenge for the last 2 minutes. So think how that impacts the rest of the game.  

And i think PI is going to be just the opposite of “ easy”. One ref allows hand fighting, another does not. Someone is 1/ 1/2 past LOS WHEN he picks D. DId that  other WR hit his block a tenth of a second before the receiver caught the ball?

If this types of plays are not ruled PI but some other sort of foul that is not replay able,  that would help. But pick plays and blocking to early are still riled OPI as far as I know, and it is just plain gunna suck. 

• Like (+1) 1

These reviews will still be at the discretion of the Refs on field that didn't make the call in the first place. Odds are the call goes against the bills either way. Just the way its been for as long as I can remember. At least no review left us thinking, hey maybe he just didn't see it. Now we know for sure when we are getting screwed or not and I think it hurts more! ?.

Reviews need to be moved to a centralized headquarters where a team of Refs have access to the same reviews we see on a big 70"+ screen that way nothing can be missed. Take the pressure off the Refs that are on field and afraid to make the right call or can't see the right call looking at a 13" monitor at field level where everyone in the stadium can see it plain as daylight on the big screen...

Just heard on SiriusXM NFL that the new rule will likely be tweaked to NOT be automatic in the last 2 minutes of either half. It’s not carved in stone yet, but it’s now likely going to be a coaches challenge the entire game. So, if the coach screws up an earlier challenge then gets NewOrleans’d in the final minute, he’s SOL for challenging the call. 

Fyi

• Like (+1) 1