PI Challenge- Does it hurt the Pats?

Sunday morning, and I am bored.

Read this article yesterday, and it got me thinking

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001031090/article/are-changes-upcoming-for-pi-penalty-challenges

#1) I HATE this freaking rule

#2) Every big pass play/TD in last two minutes going to be challenged...what a beating this rule is going to be. Forget ever being able to celebrate a late TD scored by your team on a pass play., cause maybe there was a pick at yard 3, or a push off by the receiver at yard 7.. no matter what it is going to be challenged!

#3) Could this actually hurt the Pats? 

Do the Pats still run a bunch of rub/pick plays? Maybe those types of plays have to go out the window at critical junctions of the game?  Do all kind of screens  late in games now become riskier?

Thoughts?

13 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Sunday morning, and I am bored.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001031090/article/are-changes-upcoming-for-pi-penalty-challenges

#2) Every big pass play/TD in last two minutes going to be challenged...what a beating this rule is going to be. Forget ever being able to celebrate a late TD scored by your team on a pass play., cause maybe there was a pick at yard 3, or a push off by the receiver at yard 7.. no matter what it is going to be challenged!

Do the Pats still run a bunch of rub/pick plays? Maybe those types of plays have to go out the window at critical junctions of the game?  Do all kind of screens  late in games now become riskier?

Thoughts?

Challenges are the illusion that a team can correct a call. How many games have you ever seen an overturned call decide the outcome late? Seems like there is usually the team that is “supposed” to win and officials ignore evidence when they should overturn a call that would hurt said team. How many games have we ever won because of a challenge? The more officials can intervene, the better it is for New England and the worse it is for us.

• Like (+1) 4

Riiiight.  Just like every other rule change has hurt NE*.   

If you think refs making judgement calls on inconclusive replay reviews favors anyone other than the league's marquee teams, you are dreaming.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Have you considered church?

considered? sure..actually go? No way

Just now, KD in CA said:

Riiiight.  Just like every other rule change has hurt NE*.   

If you think refs making judgement calls on inconclusive replay reviews favors anyone other than the league's marquee teams, you are dreaming.

I don't know..seems to me these pick/rub plays and blocking downfield too early will be pretty cut and dry.

Do Defensive coaches start to coach a defensive player to run into offensive guys knowing it can be reviewed?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Ha! I got a good chuckle out of this.

One out of every 27 of my zingers strikes the funny bone.

Meanwhile I would like to take a moment to apologize to the esteemed (old and crotchety) @plenzmd1 for polluting his thread.

it is a knee jerk rule, and like the “what constitutes a catch” bs it will lead to more confusion and angst than answers.

• Haha (+1) 1

The league screwed up the catch rule a few years back so that nobody could define a catch and obvious catches were ruled incomplete. This rule will be the same. It will only make things worse as the calls are dragged out and reinforce the perception (which may be true) that the refs are deciding the outcome of the games and not the players.

43 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

:ph34r:Sunday morning, and I am bored.

Thoughts?

Sometimes when you drink yourself into a drunken stupor you behave more soberly. Go back to bed and wake up again. Then you can start your day on a more positive note. :ph34r:

Edited by JohnC
  • Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Kraft’s rub play was definitely not of the dry variety.

The precedent has already been set that any video showing New England Patriot Rub Plays will be non-reviewable.

Edited by Forward Progress
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Hopefully it’ll only be rare occasions like the Saints game with NCR, and not watching for push offs on jump balls during Hail Marys 

rule is the rule right? Nothing in the rule about Hail Mary plays or last minute of game etc..get ready for it!

what about a pick play at the 1 1/2 past the line of scrimmage that helps convert a 4th down in the 4th quarter? 

Edited by plenzmd1

There are only 2 challenges, 3 if you win the other two if I am not mistaken. Will it end up costing teams this year? Sure it will at some point. Either way it's not like you can challenge every play. Coaches will have to be smart just like with anything else. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1