Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

22 minutes ago, GG said:

And you’re pretending that the Sabres front office acted on a public pronouncement by a malcontent talent.   As is always the case, whether the front office is incompetent or not, they know far more on what’s actually going on with the team than any one looking from the outside in.    Given the assets Sabres used to acquire O’Reilly and then dump him a few years later, certainly indicates there were bigger issues at play than his petulant clean-out interview.

I also don’t understand the point of how he should be upset with Sabres unloading young talent to build a team, since they used young talent as the trading chip to acquire HIM.

I doubt those public pronouncements of discontent had much to do with it at all, actually. Three months transpired between the time he made those statements and the time he was traded. Three months of further discussions. Three months of further clarity. And perhaps three months of further festering. Nobody can convince me O’Reilly and his reps didn’t do all they could to get him traded out of town. I think he/they created an untenable situation. Deliberately. 

Also, there have been rumors about the situation in Rochester with his brother Cal. Apparently he was a real prick towards Nylander  when the Sabres arranged for Nylander to live with the O’Reillys. Players just don’t get loaned to hated division rivals during the season so it’s hard to explain why the Amerks gave Cal O’Reilly away to the Toronto Marlies like they did. 

It is not surprising  that a veteran AHL player be moved in order for better and younger prospects be given more playing time. Player development is more of a priority than team standings. At this stage of his hockey career Cal was an entrenched minor league lifer.  And as far as how the O'Reilly's treated Nylander I can't comment because I have no knowledge of that situation. 

You bring up an interesting issue regarding Nylander and some of the other young prospects in the system. If Krueger who is known for adeptness in working with young players can accelerate their development then his value to the organization is even higher. 

27 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It is not surprising  that a veteran AHL player be moved in order for better and younger prospects be given more playing time. Player development is more of a priority than team standings. At this stage of his hockey career Cal was an entrenched minor league lifer.  And as far as how the O'Reilly's treated Nylander I can't comment because I have no knowledge of that situation. 

You bring up an interesting issue regarding Nylander and some of the other young prospects in the system. If Krueger who is known for adeptness in working with young players can accelerate their development then his value to the organization is even higher. 

I don’t buy for a second that Cal O’Reilly was moved simply to make room for the development of younger players. Not at that time, at that stage of the season. And especially not to the Marlies. Something served as a catalyst to make that sudden move. 

Agree entirely about Krueger and his potential to get the most out of younger players. And I’m encouraged by his initial meeting with Eichel. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

I don’t buy for a second that Cal O’Reilly was moved simply to make room for the development of younger players. Not at that time, at that stage of the season. And especially not to the Marlies. Something served as a catalyst to make that sudden move. 

Agree entirely about Krueger and his potential to get the most out of younger players. And I’m encouraged by his initial meeting with Eichel. 

Where did you hear about the story of the conflict of Cal and Nylander? I'm not saying you are wrong or your instincts are off kilter. It's just I never heard about that story.

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Where did you hear about the story of the conflict of Cal and Nylander? I'm not saying you are wrong or your instincts are off kilter. It's just I never heard about that story.

It was rumored on some HF boards at the time by people purportedly close to both the O’Reillys and Nylanders. Definitely taken with boulders of salt, but the timing of his departure to Toronto makes me wonder about it. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Lurker brings up a new point about the C.  I guess I see that as plausible but ill advised.  Dumping a good player to artificially elevate another seems pretty dumb unless they don't get along.

It's not artificially elevating Eichel to say he was drafted to be "the face of the franchise' and should be wearing the "C" any more than it was when McDavid was made the youngest captain in NHL history in 2016.  

ROR was the biggest star on the team when Jack was drafted and the young players looked up to him.   If Eichel was going to be the captain, he didn't need a rival in terms of player respect and deference, especially at 22 years of age...

The trade wasn't the problem.   The lack of return was...

I wasn’t going to post this because I didn’t want to restart the whole ROR trade discussion. But since it’s already being discussed I figured why not?

interesting clip w/some new info I hadn’t heard before (about ROR being jealous of Eichel) with Paul Hamilton. He’s been banging this drum pretty hard for a while now.

I take it with a grain of salt because he clearly had issues with ROR for quite some time, and this isn’t the first time he’s went on a crusade against a Sabres player. 

But it’s been reported in enough places now that I do believe some of what he’s saying. 

27 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It was rumored on some HF boards at the time by people purportedly close to both the O’Reillys and Nylanders. Definitely taken with boulders of salt, but the timing of his departure to Toronto makes me wonder about it. 

I remember reading about that too. John Vogl mentioned something about it, and so did Harrington and Hamilton iirc. 

The story was that Cal was very unhappy in Rochester and did what he could to force his way out. 

There was also stuff about how he and his wife supposedly treated Alex Nylander poorly, and like he was a burden - getting mad anytime he asked for a ride or anything else. 

That whole “loaned to the Toronto Marlies” situation was very strange. Cal was the captain of the Amerks and their leading scorer. And he wasn’t even traded for an asset. He was loaned, for free, to a direct division rival and the Amerks got nothing in return. Stuff like that doesn’t happen unless there is some issue there between the team and player. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I wasn’t going to post this because I didn’t want to restart the whole ROR trade discussion. But since it’s already being discussed I figured why not?

interesting clip with Paul Hamilton. He’s been banging this drum pretty hard for a while now.

I take it with a grain of salt because he clearly had issues with ROR for quite some time, and this isn’t the first time he’s went on a crusade against a Sabres player. 

But it’s been reported in enough places now that I do believe some of what he’s saying. 

I remember reading about that too. John Vogl mentioned something about it, and so did Harrington and Hamilton iirc. 

The story was that Cal was very unhappy in Rochester and did what he could to force his way out. 

There was also stuff about how he and his wife supposedly treated Alex Nylander poorly, and like he was a burden - getting mad anytime he asked for a ride or anything else. 

That whole “loaned to the Toronto Marlies” situation was very strange. Cal was the captain of the Amerks and their leading scorer. And he wasn’t even traded for an asset. He was loaned, for free, to a direct division rival and the Amerks got nothing in return. Stuff like that doesn’t happen unless there is some issue there between the team and player. 

Agree. Sometimes, when there is enough quacking and walking, it’s reasonable to suspect it’s a fricken duck. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, K-9 said:

HF?

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

He’s been banging this drum pretty hard for a while now.

2 hours ago, bbb said:

HF?

Hockey's future message board.    https://hfboards.mandatory.com/forums/buffalo-sabres.18/

If you can believe it, it's full of even bigger, more obnoxious asshats than TSW...

Edited by Lurker
  • Haha (+1) 2

On Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 9:49 AM, shrader said:

The trade wasn't made for today, so it's not really a surprise that they don't have anything to show for it so far.  Yes, we all would have liked to see more from Thompson this year, but that book's far from written.  Calgary had absolutely nothing to show for the first year after trading Joe Nieuwendyk (yes, I had to google that spelling), but that wound up working out quite well.  And please don't think I'm trying to compare those players, it's just the example that always comes to mind in a prospect for established vet deal that can work out for both teams.

Hopefully we'll start to quickly see the true test of that trade begin next year.  If Krueger truly is that great motivator who gets the most out of people, hopefully that pushes Thompson towards his potential.  I'm not ready to write off that trade yet.  That's like quitting on a diet because you're hungry on day 1.

Totally get the point you're driving at regarding trading present (Nieuwendyk) for future (Iginla) & hope it works out that way, but Calgary fully expected to be getting a future star for trading a present one.  Can't honestly say that Botterill likely expected that.  Thompson wasn't even one of the Blues top 3 prospects.

This trade looks far more like Hasek for Kozlov than Joe for Jerome.

• Like (+1) 1