Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Great pick by the Avs. Newhook is gonna be good. 

Not happy to see Caufield go to the Habs. That little bastard is gonna torture us for years.

Yeah I was really hoping the Habs would go a bit off board with their 1st round pick (again). I knew they’d take Caufield when he was still on the board, though. That’s their type of pick. 

Oh well. 

?

Love that Reinhart was at the draft. I honestly think he loved being a Buffalo Sabre more than any other player we have. He just loves it here and from everything he says and does you can tell he wants to be here a long time. 

Sabres pick Ryan Johnson with pick #31. 

Can’t say I know enough about him to really comment in depth.

Projects to be a good top 4 defenseman who should be ready for the NHL sooner rather than later. That seemed to be a theme tonight. Both Cozens and Johnson should be ready for the NHL within a year or two.

Was hoping they would get Lavoie, I think he would be ready to play a lot sooner. 6'4" 200 lbs RW that scored 20 goals in a 23 game playoff run. Johnson might turn into a good pro but he looks a few years physically from being ready.

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Sabres pick Ryan Johnson with pick #31. 

Can’t say I know enough about him to really comment in depth.

Projects to be a good top 4 defenseman who should be ready for the NHL sooner rather than later. That seemed to be a theme tonight. Both Cozens and Johnson should be ready for the NHL within a year or two.

Looks like a skinny kid to me. I think he is at the very least 2 yrs away, going to U of Minn next year as a freshman.

18 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Was hoping they would get Lavoie, I think he would be ready to play a lot sooner. 6'4" 200 lbs RW that scored 20 goals in a 23 game playoff run. Johnson might turn into a good pro but he looks a few years physically from being ready.

Looks like a skinny kid to me. I think he is at the very least 2 yrs away, going to U of Minn next year as a freshman.

Yeah, doing some quick reading on him, he may be further away than I first thought (I was just going by what McKenzie said after he was picked)

Seems like kind of a safe pick, similar to Cozens. That was definitely a theme tonight. Nothing wrong with that. The Sabres need sure fire NHL players more than most teams. 

There was some high end talent left on the board though. Guys like Kaliyev and Lavoie and Hoglander. But they are higher risk picks with more question marks (but higher ceilings IMO). 

Edited by BillsFan4

16 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah, doing some quick reading on him, he may be further away than I first thought (I was just going by what McKenzie said after he was picked)

Seems like kind of a safe pick, similar to Cozens. That was definitely a theme tonight. Nothing wrong with that. The Sabres need sure fire NHL players more than most teams. 

There was some high end talent left on the board though. Guys like Kaliyev and Lavoie and Hoglander. But they are higher risk picks with more question marks (but higher ceilings IMO). 

I read that Johnson is an elite skater, good puck mover with NHL skill level. Needs to fill out and add strength. Time will tell. I like the Cozens pick, solid all around game. Too bad they don't have a 2nd round pick coming up, some good talent still on the board.

• Like (+1) 1

I’ll be curious to see if we do start to get some player movement tomorrow. I feel like that second day is where the teams really start to settle in on the trade talks they’ve had. 

18 minutes ago, shrader said:

I’ll be curious to see if we do start to get some player movement tomorrow. I feel like that second day is where the teams really start to settle in on the trade talks they’ve had. 

I think the holdup may be due in part to the uncertain salary cap ceiling numbers. Teams are nervous because it’s going to be lower than projected. Hopefully they’ll find out tomorrow. Usually it’s set by now. 

Watch/Listen to the first few minutes of the video. He has a skill set that the Sabres are sorely missing. We have a lot of perimeter players with sometimes questionable motors. He’s the opposite of that. lol 

I said earlier in the draft process that Cozens wasn’t my first choice. But the more I watch and read, the more I like him already. Kris Baker also helps sell me on him. 

I didn’t really follow any prospects that closely this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

Corey Pronman’s analysis of our picks -

https://theathletic.com/1040981/2019/06/21/pronman-2019-nhl-draft-pick-by-pick-breakdown-of-the-first-round/

Buffalo Sabres: Dylan Cozens, C, Lethbridge-WHL

Feb. 9, 2001 | 6-foot-3 | 185 pounds

Cozens is a very well-rounded prospect. For the past two seasons in the WHL and in international play, he consistently impressed. Cozens measures in at 6-foot-3 and is a very good skater, not just for his size, but overall. That combination alone makes him a handful to deal with when a guy that size comes barreling through the neutral zone. He doesn’t just skate fast, he consistently pushes the pace and plays the game hard. Cozens is not going to do a fancy between the legs kind of play, but he gets by defenders with dekes at full speed, makes skilled plays to the net and can make plays in small areas. He’s not a dynamic playmaker, but he’ll have the odd play that will hit that level and his vision can surprise defenders. He has a shoot-first mentality and, for Lethbridge, would often be the team’s shot off the flank on the man advantage. Cozens can be deployed in any situation and competes hard every shift with a bit of an edge to his game without taking a ton of penalties.

Lethbridge Hurricanes coach Brent Kisio on Cozens: “He’s a difference maker. He’s very fast and utilizes his speed very well. His playmaking abilities are exceptional. He’s a reliable two-way player.”

Team Fit: In Cozens, the Sabres get a potential high-end power forward who can bring a unique blend of speed, size, compete and skill to an NHL team. He’s a true top prospect, was my best player available at that spot and provides something unique to that organization they don’t have in their current forward group. He’s close to NHL ready and might just need one more year of junior.

Buffalo Sabres: Ryan Johnson, D, Sioux Falls-USHL

July 24, 2001 | six-foot | 161 pounds

Johnson was a name touted in the prospect world for a few years. He didn’t put up amazing boxcar numbers, but he was a solid two-way defenseman for Sioux Falls who tilted the ice when he was on and was a rock at the World Jr. A Challenge for Team USA. What immediately stands out is his skating. He’s an effortless skater who can evade checks and generate clean zone exits with his feet. He’s not a blazing fast skater, but his edges and first step are high end. Johnson has a good skill level but that part of his game didn’t stand out as much as his feet. Some scouts think his puck game is great, but I’ve seen him just good in that regard. He sees the ice very well, and while he can make a big play, he also has a tendency to turn too many pucks over and at times be careless with his decisions. I don’t see him as a true point producer in the NHL. Defensively he’s not the biggest guy, but he’s so solid due to his smarts and mobility. His gap control is very good and often closes on guys quicker than they anticipate. Truth be told, he’s a player I’ve never been blown away by, but he’s a player who every scout and USHL source I know pushed very hard, so this ranking may undervalue him a bit.

Sioux Falls Stampede GM/coach Scott Owens on Johnson: “He’s a very strong skater and passer. He’s a really good defender. His offense is untapped and his offensive abilities improved over the course of the season.”

Team Fit: In Johnson, Buffalo gets a player who may not have put up huge numbers but had a ton of scouts very excited about his potential. He was a point of debate all season in the scouting community, but he was an important part of a championship team. The Sabres don’t really have a player in their pipeline who can skate and move pucks like he does, but he will need several years to develop.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

Making good draft selections doesn't preclude the organization from making deals that improve the roster. You don't think that the deal for Skinner didn't upgrade the roster? You don't think that the trade for Montour didn't improve the roster? You don't think that the signing of Pilot from the free agent market didn't help the roster? It's still early in the offseason. There will be opportunities to rework the roster to make it better. If you expect magic then go to the magic show where illusion may be eye-popping but it is not reality. 

Like I said, I get what the team is doing long term. The draft picks invest in the future and we all want to be great for years to come. But you ignored my point. How far away are these guys? We wait and wait for these prospects from Rochester and when will they turn into actual contributors on a winning team? You have much more patience than I. I’d trade every prospect for the chance to be good now. I’m a fan, not a GM (Clearly). So a lot of the moves they make I dislike because I’m sick of watching losing hockey year after year while being told that we have tons of potential coming up. When exactly is that? How long do you wait for this to happen before you stop and say, “can we just try to win now?”

The players you’ve listed have been on the team. How exactly does that improve next year’s roster? I’m not expecting anything from a franchise that has sat by and simply watched their talent level be subpar while doing little about it. I’m not asking for magic. I just need something different. 

As much as I criticized Bean and company for their drastic moves upon arrival, I’ve learned to appreciate their vision and plan for better or for worse. They came in and totally flipped the roster while maintaining a core of players that they felt fit their team (plus made the playoffs in year one after losing lots of talent!) I just don’t see a clear cut plan in place here with the Sabres. It’s just more of the same.

7 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

How many years out is that? 

Just kee burning away years years on current talent. I get what they’re doing long term...but this team needs to be competitive now. 

There are exactly 2 players in this draft that are guaranteed NHL contributors this season.  The Sabres didn't have a shot at either one of them.

The NHL draft isn't the NFL draft.  These are kids and most first rounders are at least 2-3 years away from even playing in the league, much less being high end contributors.  Lower round draft picks are normally even further away. 

Botterill needs to make strides in free agency and via trades to improve the on-ice product in the short term.  The draft is about the future and isn't going to change when you're picking 18 year olds.  They're simply not physically or mentally ready for the NHL.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Like I said, I get what the team is doing long term. The draft picks invest in the future and we all want to be great for years to come. But you ignored my point. How far away are these guys? We wait and wait for these prospects from Rochester and when will they turn into actual contributors on a winning team? You have much more patience than I. I’d trade every prospect for the chance to be good now. I’m a fan, not a GM (Clearly). So a lot of the moves they make I dislike because I’m sick of watching losing hockey year after year while being told that we have tons of potential coming up. When exactly is that? How long do you wait for this to happen before you stop and say, “can we just try to win now?”

The players you’ve listed have been on the team. How exactly does that improve next year’s roster? I’m not expecting anything from a franchise that has sat by and simply watched their talent level be subpar while doing little about it. I’m not asking for magic. I just need something different. 

As much as I criticized Bean and company for their drastic moves upon arrival, I’ve learned to appreciate their vision and plan for better or for worse. They came in and totally flipped the roster while maintaining a core of players that they felt fit their team (plus made the playoffs in year one after losing lots of talent!) I just don’t see a clear cut plan in place here with the Sabres. It’s just more of the same.

I don't think it's realistic to expect anything other than future potential from the draft.  I do think it is more than fair to wonder about the on ice stuff.  Our two recent can't miss ultra talents haven't exactly been that.  We even managed to turn the greatest D prospect of all time into the third best rookie in a year.

If they trade Risto for a bag of pucks as rumored, it will be confusing.  

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Hockey is not football. With the exception of the unique top talent in the draft it can take three to four years before the talent is mature enough to play in the league, assuming they are ever able to attain that NHL level of play. Most of the players are drafted when they are around 18 years old. That's the system. In football you can draft a player and next year a significant number of those prospect can make the roster and even contribute. So the comparison between football and hockey doesn't fit. 

As much as people are impatient with Nylander's development it is forgotten by many that he is somewhere between 20-21 years old. It takes time. It's a fact a life that can't be avoided in the player development process. You can get frustrated with the time lag between drafting and playing but it's an inescapable reality.

For those clamoring for a blockbuster deal that will miraculously uplift this franchise my question is tell me which one of our better players will you trade away? And what do you expect to get back? If you trade Risto you can get back value but it will be at the cost of creating a major void on the blue line.  It's probably that the GM is going to make a number of smaller deals that will bolster the roster rather than a bigger deal or two that will garner more publicity. 

Again, hockey is not like football. They are two separate worlds with two separate systems. In each respective sport you succeed with the accumulation of smart decisions. If you start acting out of impatience instead of strategically thinking you will fall into the trap of short term moving forward and then long term stepping back. It is what it is. 

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Hockey is not football. With the exception of the unique top talent in the draft it can take three to four years before the talent is mature enough to play in the league, assuming they are ever able to attain that NHL level of play. Most of the players are drafted when they are around 18 years old. That's the system. In football you can draft a player and next year a significant number of those prospect can make the roster and even contribute. So the comparison between football and hockey doesn't fit. 

As much as people are impatient with Nylander's development it is forgotten by many that he is somewhere between 20-21 years old. It takes time. It's a fact a life that can't be avoided in the player development process. You can get frustrated with the time lag between drafting and playing but it's an inescapable reality.

For those clamoring for a blockbuster deal that will miraculously uplift this franchise my question is tell me which one of our better players will you trade away? And what do you expect to get back? If you trade Risto you can get back value but it will be at the cost of creating a major void on the blue line.  It's probably that the GM is going to make a number of smaller deals that will bolster the roster rather than a bigger deal or two that will garner more publicity. 

Again, hockey is not like football. They are two separate worlds with two separate systems. In each respective sport you succeed with the accumulation of smart decisions. If you start acting out of impatience instead of strategically thinking you will fall into the trap of short term moving forward and then long term stepping back. It is what it is. 

So we'll be ok when Dahlin is 35?

Paul Hamilton wrote a story after the selection of Cozens. This is a draft pick that regardless who we took we were going to get a good player. I'm not impressed with the tired storyline that this pick was a steal and there was surprise that he was still on the board. We won't know for at least a couple of years how this pick turns out. Our GM didn't try to outsmart anyone and simply picked a player that was highly rated and also hopefully in the future will fill a major need at center. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/few-things-earlier-draft-allowed-sabres-steal-cozens

Just now, JohnC said:

Paul Hamilton wrote a story after the selection of Cozens. This is a draft pick that regardless who we took we were going to get a good player. I'm not impressed with the tired storyline that this pick was a steal and there was surprise that he was still on the board. We won't know for at least a couple of years how this pick turns out. Our GM didn't try to outsmart anyone and simply picked a player that was highly rated and also hopefully in the future will fill a major need at center. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/few-things-earlier-draft-allowed-sabres-steal-cozens

I can only take Paul Hamilton is small doses and after listening to that interview with Krueger when he asked if Cozens’s ability to play both center and wing is an advantage, I may need a break before diving into another of his articles. So be honest, will it be worth my while to read it? I know that’s a lot of pressure on you. 

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I can only take Paul Hamilton is small doses and after listening to that interview with Krueger when he asked if Cozens’s ability to play both center and wing is an advantage, I may need a break before diving into another of his articles. So be honest, will it be worth my while to read it? I know that’s a lot of pressure on you. 

Right?  What natural center can't play wing?

While Cozen is probably "right now" the 3rd best player in this draft, it's up to the organization to help him reach his full potential.  To date, that has not been something we've been very good at.  Hopefully this kid's work ethic sets an example on a team that desperately needs that kind of leadership.

• Thank you (+1) 1