Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

39 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I agree about Risto. Unless it's an absolute haul in return, including a top 6 immediate contributor, I want to keep him. To borrow a Lindyism, Risto has jam in his game and I'm intrigued by what a new coach like Krueger might get out of him. 

I'm starting to get the impression that the big return you're talking about will get thrown around in trade offers.  This will be very interesting to watch.  They don't exactly have the depth at the position to play around too much, but it's going to be something to think over quite a bit.

Edited by shrader

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'm starting to get the impression that the big return you're talking about will get thrown around in trade offers.  This will be very interesting to watch.  They don't exactly have the depth at the position to play around too much, but it's going to be something to think over quite a bit.

I think that would be a nice problem to have. And as long as they get a return that immediately provides the nightly impact for us that Risto will for the team that gets him, I'm not really interested. May not be as much of a dilemma as I thought. 

5 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I was’t sure the Sabres were going to qualify him. Curious to see if they qualify Larsson now too. 

I can't see why they wouldn't qualify Larsson.  The offer is dirt cheap and you may as well maintain control of an at least somewhat useful player.  I'd be watching the lower end guys if I'm looking for someone who isn't retained, the Brycen Martins of the world.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

I can't see why they wouldn't qualify Larsson.  The offer is dirt cheap and you may as well maintain control of an at least somewhat useful player.  I'd be watching the lower end guys if I'm looking for someone who isn't retained, the Brycen Martins of the world.

I agree. I think Larsson has actually been more useful than girgensons in recent years, so if only 1 was goin to be qualified I thought it would be Larsson. Now I expect both to be. 

There were some rumors that buffalo may not qualify either, that’s the main reason I wondered. 

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

I agree about Risto. Unless it's an absolute haul in return, including a top 6 immediate contributor, I want to keep him. To borrow a Lindyism, Risto has jam in his game and I'm intrigued by what a new coach like Krueger might get out of him. 

I'm not into thuggish hockey. But your team has to have a certain level of physical play to its game in order to compete and protect the finesse guys . He is one of the few players that has that aspect to his game. Bogo in his physical prime had that ability to play a muscular game but because of his accumulating injuries it has taken a toll on him. He will have to adjust his game to a more finesse and puck moving style of play in order to survive a little longer. Just because Bogo might be built like a guerrilla that doesn't mean he is as durable as one.  

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm not into thuggish hockey. But your team has to have a certain level of physical play to its game in order to compete and protect the finesse guys . He is one of the few players that has that aspect to his game. Bogo in his physical prime had that ability to play a muscular game but because of his accumulating injuries it has taken a toll on him. He will have to adjust his game to a more finesse and puck moving style of play in order to survive a little longer. Just because Bogo might be built like a guerrilla that doesn't mean he is as durable as one.  

Just to be clear "jam" doesn't equate to thuggish. Jam is being hard to play against and tweaking your opponent in the process. Perhaps the best example of that is Ovechkin. Perhaps that's why he and Risto have had such epic battles over the years. 

Good point about Bogo. 

• Like (+1) 1

looks like all the main guys were qualified after all. I’m glad. No reason to not qualify any of the players listed. That would have been poor asset management IMO. 

Even if you don’t want them, I would think guys like Larsson and Girgensons would at least have some trade value (as a throw in, or even just for a later round pick). 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

looks like all the main guys were qualified after all. I’m glad. No reason to not qualify any of the players listed. That would have been poor asset management IMO. 

Even if you don’t want them, I would think guys like Larsson and Girgensons would at least have some trade value (as a throw in, or even just for a later round pick). 

Good point. Larsson and Girgs have the stink of the tank years all over them. It’s become part of their DNA in Buffalo. Nobody is in need of a fresh start more, so I hope they can be traded. Might say the same about Risto, too. 

Ridiculous that Dahlin came in 3rd in voting (for all the reasons I laid out in my previous post on this subject). Binnington played 30 regular season games FFS (Calder voting is conducted at the end of the regular season).

Really disappointed with the PHWA. 

14 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Ridiculous that Dahlin came in 3rd in voting (for all the reasons I laid out in my previous post on this subject). Binnington played 30 regular season games FFS (Calder voting is conducted at the end of the regular season).

Really disappointed with the PHWA. 

I wonder what Crosby thought after he didn’t win the award. This is no big deal and it means very little moving forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

I wonder what Crosby thought after he didn’t win the award. This is no big deal and it means very little moving forward. 

I agree man.

I had no issusions that he would win it. I knew it would be Pettersson. I was just pissed when I saw how spewed the voting was. It should have been much, much closer between Dahlin and Pettersson. No way Binnington should have been ahead of him in votes. 

I know it means nothing though. Plus, Had he won the Calder it would have been a great bargaining chip for his agent on his next deal (not that Dahlin won’t get paid anyway). 

Really happy for Lehner!

not quite as happy for ROR.... ?

Edited by BillsFan4

17 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/penguins-were-not-alone-in-making-a-superior-offer-for-trouba-than-the-rangers-more-buzz/

don’t know how viable this source is. This rumor (re:trouba and the NYR) has been going around today and it looks like this is the source of it. 

There was a personal backstory as to why Trouba was not going to sign and stay with the Jets. His fiancée has aspirations in the medical field that playing in Winnipeg couldn't fulfill. Both Pittsburg and NY offer opportunities in that field that the Canadian city couldn't. I see him signing a long-term contract with NY. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/jacob-trouba-fiance-role-new-york-rangers-trade/

There are plenty of reports that there is a lot of interest in Risto in the market. The defenseman that the GM is dangling out there is McCabe. And there are stories that Vancouver might be interested in Bogo. My widely speculative guess is that Risto stays and one of the other defensemen gets moved.