Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

The below link is an article written by WGR's Brayton Wilson pointing out some San Jose players who might be available in free agency because their team is  cap stressed. He promotes getting Labanc who he believes could be available at a reasonable contract. I'm not as knowledgeable about these second-tier players as others are here. The point in this article is that because of the cap situation teams have good players who will be difficult to retain. The Sabres are in a good situation to bring in two to three good players to bolster the roster and add depth to a thin team. It will be disappointing if that doesn't happen. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/opinion/labanc-offer-sheet

Ralph Krueger development cap interview- (great listen)

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/ralph-krueger-62919/t-277437090/c-68596103

Botterill interview -

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/jason-botterill-62919/t-277437090/c-68596203

not sure what to make of that Risto answer around 3:20(ish)

Colin Miller conference call -

https://sabresmedia.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/6.29-miller.mp3

highlights from the French connection tournament -

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/2019-french-connection-tournament/t-277437090/c-68599003

Olofsson looked like a man among boys. 

3 hours ago, snafu said:

^^^^^that doesn't look good. 

Sounds like he’s ok -

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/dylan-cozens-62919/t-277437090/c-68597303

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

In the few times I’ve heard Krueger speak, he’s yet to strike a sour note with me. And the disparity between him and Housley continues to be so evident. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

In the few times I’ve heard Krueger speak, he’s yet to strike a sour note with me. And the disparity between him and Housley continues to be so evident. 

Listening to Krueger inspires confidence that he truly has a plan and knows what he’s doing. He doesn’t seem at all overwhelmed by the task at hand (we’ll see how long that lasts...lol). He actually seems to revel 8n the challenge.

He just seems like a guy that will command respect in the locker room and someone the player will want to follow. It’s a lot easier to follow someone during the hard times when you have confidence that they know what they’re doing. 

From that Colon Miller conference call, talking about Las Vegas -

“It just takes guys that are willing to buy in. I think if there’s one thing that I was most proud of in Vegas, it was the character of the guys and the friendships that I made, because we had such good people in that locker room and good people throughout the organization. That’s the first thing in Buffalo, from talking to the coach and the players and the GM — it really is some great people here. And that’s what it takes, ultimately, if you’re going to come together as a team.”

I really do believe in the power of 100% player buy-in. Just look at the Islanders last season, or the Capitals the season before (when they won the Cup), and the Knights who went to the Finals in their inaugural year. 

Krueger is all about getting 100% buy-in. That’s been a notoriously hard task in Buffalo, so we will see how good Krueger really is... lol. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Ralph Krueger development cap interview- (great listen)

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/ralph-krueger-62919/t-277437090/c-68596103

Botterill interview -

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/jason-botterill-62919/t-277437090/c-68596203

not sure what to make of that Risto answer around 3:20(ish)

Colin Miller conference call -

https://sabresmedia.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/6.29-miller.mp3

Sounds like he’s ok -

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/dylan-cozens-62919/t-277437090/c-68597303

With respect to the Risto issue I get the impression that he asked to be traded or at least told them that he would be receptive to being traded. The GM danced around the issue as to whether Risto wanted to be traded. If the player wanted to be part of the solution and told the organization that he was committed to the team the GM would be more declarative with his comments on that subject. 

If I were a betting person my money would be on Risto being moved for a second-line player or be part of a packaged deal that brings in a higher profile player. 

Edited by JohnC
grammar
  • Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, JohnC said:

With respect to the Risto issue I get the impression that he asked to be traded or at least told them that he would be receptive to being traded. The GM danced around the issue as to whether Risto wanted to be traded. If the player wanted to be part of the solution and told the organization that he was committed to the team the GM would be more declarative with his comments on that subject. 

If I were a betting person my money would be on Risto being moved for a second-line player or be part of a packaged deal that brings in a higher profile player. 

I got the same exact impression. 

I’ve felt that he would be happy with a trade ever since locker clean out day. He just sounded like a guy who was mentally exhausted by the past 6 years in Buffalo and needed a change of scenery. 

id still much rather see him stay. I know he has another level. We’ve seen how dominant he can be. With a better tram around him and not so much constant losing, I think you’d see that player a lot more often. He is one of the hardest working players in the entire NHL. I really don’t want to see him leave and blossom with another team. 

I hope they give it 1 more year with Ristolainen. See what Krueger can do. 

Its Botterill’s job to do what is best for the Buffalo Sabres. If teams are not offering a proper return for a Risto, then Botterill needs to keep him. 

But If they can pry a player like Cirelli out of Tampa, I can live with him being traded. 

Zero interest in draft picks being one of the main assets, though. I want the main value coming from the player(s) coming our way in the trade. Screw taking a lesser asset for a 1st or 2nd. Give me the better player, keep the pick. 

https://player.fm/series/hockey-central-at-noon/june-28-season-finale

Nick Kypreos saying that it sounds like Mats Zuccarello to Buffalo. 

I would be pretty happy if we can land Zuccarello. He is one of the most loved and respected veterans in the NHL and he can still score. I was hoping the Krueger/Zuccarello connection would help... and maybe it will! 

i expect that buffalo will likely have to give an extra year of term (guessing 5 years), knowing that the last year could start to get ugly. But that’s what they have to do if they want to land him. Gotta offer something over other teams. 

Good teams always figure out a way way to get rid of a bad contract if they really need to. Look at all the cap strapped teams this offseason. I mean, look at Tampa. They’re capped out with a big time RFA to sign and they’re still going big fish hunting (Karlsson, Pavelski is rumored to favor Tampa). 

Buffalo needs better players and has cap space. Get it done Botts! 

Heres the exact quote -

Kypreos: Zuccarello.. maybe Buffalo?
Marek: Zuccarello to Buffalo?
Kypreos: That's the talk. That's the type of guy that could really help those young kids in Buffalo. I love him.

Edited by BillsFan4

32 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’ve felt that he would be happy with a trade ever since locker clean out day. He just sounded like a guy who was mentally exhausted by the past 6 years in Buffalo and needed a change of scenery. 

id still much rather see him stay. I know he has another level. We’ve seen how dominant he can be. With a better tram around him and not so much constant losing, I think you’d see that player a lot more often. He is one of the hardest working players in the entire NHL. I really don’t want to see him leave and blossom with another team. 

Its Botterill’s job to do what is best for the Buffalo Sabres. If teams are not offering a proper return for a Risto, then Botterill needs to keep him. 

But If they can pry a player like Cirelli out of Tampa, I can live with him being traded. 

Zero interest in draft picks being one of the main assets, though. I want the main value coming from the player(s) coming our way in the trade. Screw taking a lesser asset for a 1st or 2nd. Give me the better player, keep the pick. 

Botts is not going to reprise another ROR deal that comes back to haunt him. With ROR there was as much determination for the player to get moved as there was for the organization to get him out of the room. That isn't the case here. The organization doesn't need to get rid of Risto where with ROR they no longer wanted him to be part of the mix. 

There is no doubt that Risto is a physical specimen. He has all the tools except a critical one: His instinct to anticipate and react to the play.  How many times did he fail to stay in front of the net chasing the puck behind his goalie? How many times was he goaded by the offensive player and lose sight of his basic responsibility of net presence? 

There is no doubt he can be a cruncher on a soft team. But what bothers me about Risto is that after all of his playing time his on ice cerebral approach to the game has not matured to where it should be. Is he a physical palooka whose muscle mentality hasn't caught up, or will ever catch up, with the mental side of the game? Or maybe he just needs a change a scenery to freshen up his approach to the game and be rejuvenated? I honestly don't know. 

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Adds to competition at camp. Maybe a 4th liner for us. Most likely ends up on waivers and in Rochester.

At least he should be pretty hungry (after not getting qualified). I expect he will compete his ass off. 

Wow. Pretty impressive return for the penguins considering they had no leverage in the deal. Everyone knew they were dying to dump Kessel. 

Plus, Kessel could only be traded to 8 teams (and the rumor is Arizona was really the only realistic team on the list). He already vetoed at least 1 trade. 

I hope Botterill is taking notes. Impressive job by a veteran GM getting value back in a trade he had no choice but to make. 

25 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Wow. Pretty impressive return for the penguins considering they had no leverage in the deal. Everyone knew they were dying to dump Kessel. 

Plus, Kessel could only be traded to 8 teams (and the rumor is Arizona was really the only realistic team on the list). He already vetoed at least 1 trade. 

I hope Botterill is taking notes. Impressive job by a veteran GM getting value back in a trade he had no choice but to make.

Why do you say that Pittsburgh's GM had no choice other than to deal him? If he couldn't get back a reasonable return he would have simply kept him. Kessel is a veteran and knows how the system works. He wasn't embittered when the Penguins tried to deal him to Minnesota. He exercised his non-trade clause and let the market evolve until it worked out to the way he wanted it to. There was no secret that if dealt Kessel was only willing to go to Arizona. If a deal couldn't have been worked out with the Coyotes he would have remained a Penquin and continue with his prolific scoring.  

Edited by JohnC
syntax

18 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Olofsson looked like a man among boys. 

at a couple weeks shy of his 24th birthday, he literally is a man among boys. I can’t imagine there’s anyone older than him out there who isn’t holding a whistle. He’s the guy who damn well better look good out there or else you’re giving up on the guy. 

I don't really know how much there is to take away from him at these camps at this point. 

Edited by shrader
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Why do you say that Pittsburgh's GM had no choice other than to deal him? If he couldn't get back a reasonable return he would have simply kept him. Kessel is a veteran and knows how the system works. He wasn't embittered when the Penguins tried to deal him to Minnesota. He exercised his non-trade clause and let the market evolve until it worked out to the way he wanted it to. There was no secret that if dealt Kessel was only willing to go to Arizona. If a deal couldn't have been worked out with the Coyotes he would have remained a Penquin and continue with his prolific scoring.  

Do you have an athletic subscription? 

If so, it’s all laid out here -

https://theathletic.com/1051402/2019/06/28/phil-kessel-and-the-penguins-a-breakup-held-hostage/

to quickly sum it up, it was an untenable situation. He was combative with coaches and getting into arguments, etc. Either Kessel had to go or Mike Sullivan had to go. But they also felt Kessel was dragging Malkin down and they were worried about his influence on some of the younger players. 

Also, I guess Kessel also only wanted to play with Malkin but Malkin didn’t want to play with Kessel anymore. 

And Kessel also asked for a trade multiple times last season and again this offseason.

It sounds like there was a lot going on. Just a whole bunch of little things.

There is a lot more detailed info in the article.

Here’s another article on it -

https://theathletic.com/1054507/2019/06/29/a-look-at-how-and-why-phil-kessel-was-traded-to-arizona/

The Phil Kessel era in Pittsburgh is over.

It was largely his choice, according to the Penguins.

General manager Jim Rutherford confirmed late on Saturday night that Kessel, as controversial as he is gifted, asked the Penguins to be traded numerous times during the past season. It was also made clear by Kessel that Arizona was his preferred destination.

Kessel had a slightly different take on the situation.

“I’m not sure that’s exactly what happened,” Kessel said. “Jim came to me one time and said, ‘(You’ll) never be a Penguin again.’ I think he’s mistaken a little bit there. But I don’t want to get involved in that. I’m not here to tell what really happened and the real truth, but whatever Jim wants to say.”

He was also almost traded once already this offseason but vetoed the trade (to minnesota).

Edited by BillsFan4

13 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

If he is one of the hardest working players in the entire NHL then wouldn't that other level be on display more often than not?  You're statements don't seem to jive to me.  Either he's under performed and needs a change of scenery or he's a really hard worker who is what you see he is.

9 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Do you have an athletic subscription? 

If so, it’s all laid out here -

https://theathletic.com/1051402/2019/06/28/phil-kessel-and-the-penguins-a-breakup-held-hostage/

to quickly sum it up, it was an untenable situation. He was combative with coaches and getting into arguments, etc. Either Kessel had to go or Mike Sullivan had to go. But they also felt Kessel was dragging Malkin down and they were worried about his influence on some of the younger players. 

Also, I guess Kessel also only wanted to play with Malkin but Malkin didn’t want to play with Kessel anymore. 

And Kessel also asked for a trade multiple times last season and again this offseason.

It sounds like there was a lot going on. Just a whole bunch of little things.

There is a lot more detailed info in the article.

Here’s another article on it -

https://theathletic.com/1054507/2019/06/29/a-look-at-how-and-why-phil-kessel-was-traded-to-arizona/

He was also almost traded once already this offseason but vetoed the trade (to minnesota).

(I couldn't bring up the link but I got a sense what it was about from your post.) 

I was aware that Kessel was a "unique" character but not a disruptive character as you described. My point with my first response was that Pittsburg's GM was scanning the market and was not going to dump him for little. Even if the organization was determined to trade him they were not going to be forced to give him up  for little in return. Their GM had a tentative deal with Minnesota for Zucker. Kessel nixed that deal. So he went back to the market and worked out another reasonable deal with Arizona, a team that Kessel wanted to go to. If you compare how the Penquins handled their deal with how Botts handled the ROR deal, both deals for players who wanted to be moved, I would say that Rutherford was more strategic and patient in working out a deal for a player he wanted out.