Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

The attached link is from a NHL site. It gives a summarization of the team moves and what they mean toward breaking the playoff drought. At this point the unknown issue is whether Risto is going to be traded, and if so, what will the return be? If the return results in upgrading the second line then the team's prospects should look brighter. Another unknown factor is how much difference is the coaching change going to mean. I think the consensus is that the Sabres will be an improved team but the more important issue is how much so? And the follow up issue is will our improvement match or surpass the improvement of other teams that our in our strata? 

https://www.nhl.com/news/behind-the-numbers-buffalo-sabres-eventful-summer-should-provide-spark/c-308292130

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

The attached link gives a little more background to the deal. It seems to me that the Oilers got the best of the deal in that if it doesn't work out they have a reasonable buyout option where Calgary doesn't have that escape avenue to take. What is evident is that the Oiler signing of Lucic was an unmitigated disaster. The new GM is in the process of cleaning up the mess of the previous regime. 

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2019/07/19/trade-flames-get-lucic-oilers-receive-neal/

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The attached link gives a little more background to the deal. It seems to me that the Oilers got the best of the deal in that if it doesn't work out they have a reasonable buyout option where Calgary doesn't have that escape avenue to take. What is evident is that the Oiler signing of Lucic was an unmitigated disaster. The new GM is in the process of cleaning up the mess of the previous regime. 

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2019/07/19/trade-flames-get-lucic-oilers-receive-neal/

It wasn’t that long ago that people were fawning over Chiarrelli’s moves to toughen up that squad.

2 hours ago, GG said:

It wasn’t that long ago that people were fawning over Chiarrelli’s moves to toughen up that squad.

That Taylor Hall deal is still mystifying. It is understandable that teams want to reshape their rosters. However, when you give up a significant asset you should be expected to get a comparable or near comparable asset back. As you pointed out Chairrelli wanted to toughen his roster. It didn't work out. So years later the mistakes of the past are being addressed in the present. It's hard to move forward when you have to fix what you did in the past. 

The consensus in the local media is that Risto is going to be dealt. If you can't get equal value back then I say keep him. 

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

That Taylor Hall deal is still mystifying. It is understandable that teams want to reshape their rosters. However, when you give up a significant asset you should be expected to get a comparable or near comparable asset back. As you pointed out Chairrelli wanted to toughen his roster. It didn't work out. So years later the mistakes of the past are being addressed in the present. It's hard to move forward when you have to fix what you did in the past. 

The consensus in the local media is that Risto is going to be dealt. If you can't get equal value back then I say keep him. 

revisionist history . The year the Oilers made that trade they ended their playoff drought , finished with 103 pts, won their first round series 4-2, lost to Anaheim (who was a beast at the time) 2-1 in a game 7 on the road( if they win they were in the conference finals). Wisdom then was the trade paid off in a big way and the Oilers were a team on the come. 

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

revisionist history . The year the Oilers made that trade they ended their playoff drought , finished with 103 pts, won their first round series 4-2, lost to Anaheim (who was a beast at the time) 2-1 in a game 7 on the road( if they win they were in the conference finals). Wisdom then was the trade paid off in a big way and the Oilers were a team on the come. 

In the long run trading Hall was a mistake. Sometimes short term success doesn't reflect smarter long term decisions that result in more sustained success. If you believe that trading Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson was in the long run a good deal then your talent judgment is very odd. Taylor Hall is one of the best forwards in the league. Larsson is a good player but compared to Hall from a talent standpoint he is a pigmy. 

14 hours ago, JohnC said:

...think you have to........maybe he picks it up a step (hopefully) with a new HC riding his arse.....then again, could be wishful thinking.....

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...think you have to........maybe he picks it up a step (hopefully) with a new HC riding his arse.....then again, could be wishful thinking.....

It was reported that all the coaching candidates were asked by the GM what they would do to get better play out of Risto. So there is an indication that the organization believes that he has the talent to be better. The most important calculation by the GM in a prospective trade is whether the team is going to be better or not after the deal. That's a tough question to answer. Sometimes the trade calculation turns out to be right and sometimes not. 

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

Ehlers for Risto? Yes please. 

Roslovic and/or Perrault would add absolutely nothing. 

I feel like those 2 proposed trades are not even in the same ballpark, value wise. 

Ehlers would be a big get and would have me feeling good about Botterill’s ability to evaluate NHL talent (as of now his pro scouting staff is one of my biggest concerns)

Roslovic and Perreault would be another lesser prospect ROR style quantity trade.

It would make me feel like Botterill learned nothing from that ROR mistake and that his pro scouting staff is not very good.

One trade would have me feeling good about our future and the other would have me very concerned. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-exchange-arbitration-numbers-rodrigues

Buffalo Sabres forward Evan Rodrigues is getting ready to have his salary arbitration hearing with the National Hockey League on Tuesday, and now we have an idea of how far apart both sides are on contract negotiations.

Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman reported on Sunday that the Sabres and Rodrigues are $1.15 million apart on numbers for a new contract. Rodrigues is asking for a deal that will pay him $2.65 million per-year, while the Sabres are hoping to get him under contract with an average annual value of $1.5 million.

The Sabres and Rodrigues still have until Tuesday to avoid arbitration and come to terms on a new contract. 

I’d give him $2.5M on a 4yr deal. Could give Buffalo a chance to get a potential top 6 F under contract at a bargain. But I doubt Botterill does it. He seems very cautious when giving out any term in a deal. A lot of contracts have been for 1-2 years so far under him. 

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I feel like those 2 proposed trades are not even in the same ballpark, value wise. 

Ehlers would be a big get and would have me feeling good about Botterill’s ability to evaluate NHL talent (as of now his pro scouting staff is one of my biggest concerns)

Roslovic and Perreault would be another lesser prospect ROR style quantity trade.

It would make me feel like Botterill learned nothing from that ROR mistake and that his pro scouting staff is not very good.

One trade would have me feeling good about our future and the other would have me very concerned. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-exchange-arbitration-numbers-rodrigues

I’d give him $2.5M on a 4yr deal. Could give Buffalo a chance to get a potential top 6 F under contract at a bargain. But I doubt Botterill does it. He seems very cautious when giving out any term in a deal. A lot of contracts have been for 1-2 years so far under him. 

I like Rodrigues because of his speed and consistent strong effort. However, I don't see him as a second line forward as either a winger or center. In my view he would make a superb third line versatile winger. My problem isn't with how much he will earn as it is where he is slotted. If he is slotted on a second line then in my estimation the line would be less than average.  

Edited by JohnC
spelling

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I wish I could see ERod as a top 6 forward, but I don’t. He disappears for long stretches. I like him and my hope is that enough talent pushes him down to the bottom six role I feel he’s more suite for. 2.5m seems a bit steep to me, but it’s the NHL and salaries are escalating, so in a short time it could look like a steal.

57 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I like Rodrigues because of his speed and consistent strong effort. However, I don't see him as a second line forward as either a winger or center. In my view he would make a superb third line versatile winger. My problem isn't with how much he will earn as it is where he is slotted. If he is slotted on a second line then in my estimation the line would be less than average.  

54 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I wish I could see ERod as a top 6 forward, but I don’t. He disappears for long stretches. I like him and my hope is that enough talent pushes him down to the bottom six role I feel he’s more suite for. 2.5m seems a bit steep to me, but it’s the NHL and salaries are escalating, so in a short time it could look like a steal.

I didn’t mean that I see ERod as a top 6 F right now. 

I was saying that I’d be good with giving him a 4yr deal at $2.5M, betting that it could look like a great depth signing in a couple years. I’d only be willing to that high on a longer deal though. 

If they give ERod a 1-2 year deal, the $1.5M the Sabres are offering sounds more in line. Maybe $2M on a 2yr deal (though that would take him right to UFA).  

I don't know that he will ever be a full time top 6 guy. But I think he has the potential to be a very good 3rd line player that can move into the top 6 when needed and give you maybe 40pts a year (which would be a bargain at $2.5M, especially in 2yrs time). 

• Like (+1) 2

The attached WGR link is a 19 minute segment talking about the Sabres and making projections about the roster. In the second half of the segment the guest, Peter Johnson from NHL.com, discusses the rest of the division and the challenge facing the Sabres going against teams that also have improved. Florida is the team that he believes is going to step up. There is nothing exotic about his comments other than it is a fair depiction of where this team is at. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/07-20-nhlcoms-pete-jensen-sneaky-joe

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The attached WGR link is a 19 minute segment talking about the Sabres and making projections about the roster. In the second half of the segment the guest, Peter Johnson from NHL.com, discusses the rest of the division and the challenge facing the Sabres going against teams that also have improved. Florida is the team that he believes is going to step up. There is nothing exotic about his comments other than it is a fair depiction of where this team is at. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/07-20-nhlcoms-pete-jensen-sneaky-joe

So 2025 or so?