Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

Get the popcorn ready.  There's clearly something larger in the works.  It pretty much has to be Ristolainen, but with McCabe still unsigned, he jumps right up to the top of the possible trade list too.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, shrader said:

Get the popcorn ready.  There's clearly something larger in the works.  It pretty much has to be Ristolainen, but with McCabe still unsigned, he jumps right up to the top of the possible trade list too.

Risto for Laine.

Edit: Only speculation on my part

Edited by LikeIGiveADarn

16 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

This is from the Hawks beat writer for the Athletic  just this morning on rumors on this trade

https://theathletic.com/1068059/2019/07/09/heylaz-mailbag-what-are-the-blackhawks-doing-with-henri-jokiharju/

the comments to this tweet are gold

another good tweet..have no clue who this dude is though

Thanks. plenzmd, much appreciated. Sounds like we got a steal. And yeah, I’d take Q’s opinion over Colliton, too. 

But we have a glut and some D pieces are gonna be moved. Maybe both Risto and McCabe? 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

Risto for Laine.

hmm, i dunno bout that..unless deal worked out beforehand..if that is even doable under the CBA. Plus i think they really want a 2c, not a winger

11 minutes ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

Risto for Laine.

No thanks. Laine can score goals in streaks, but he’s a crappy hockey player. I’d rather have Ehlers.

25 minutes ago, K-9 said:

No thanks. Laine can score goals in streaks, but he’s a crappy hockey player. I’d rather have Ehlers.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly happened to Laine? Wasn't too long ago he was being put in the same sentence as Eichel, Matthews, and McDavid as the next big 4. Has he fallen off that much?

9 minutes ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

Just out of curiosity, what exactly happened to Laine? Wasn't too long ago he was being put in the same sentence as Eichel, Matthews, and McDavid as the next big 4. Has he fallen off that much?

I don’t want to say he’s fallen off that much as he still had 30 goals last season, albeit with 18 of them coming in November. The man can flat out score goals. But he doesn’t have a lot of hockey sense and doesn’t make a lot of plays for his line mates. 

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Bogo is not in the long term plans and neither is Scandella. Hunwick is pedestrian and it is probable that either McCabe (more likely) or  Risto will be dealt. So the unit is being reshaped. As you noted it wouldn't be surprising that a deal is being formulated involving either McCabe or Risto that will bolster the second line. If Risto is involved in a deal then it will be a big deal. If McCabe is involved in a deal it won't be so significant. There are some teams out there that are cap stressed and will be forced to move some talent in order to re-sign some of their bigger talents. This offseason has been interesting and is getting more interesting. 

• Like (+1) 1

I can’t believe Chicago trade Jokiharju. Holy cow great job Botts! 

I still like Nylander but IMO he has major work ethic issues and is mainly a soft perimeter player. He could end up being good in the NHL, but Jokiharju is definitely a good top 4 NHL defenseman and even has top pair potential. 

I didn't want to give up on Nylander and sell low, but this isn’t selling low. Jokiharju IMO is the bette prospect right now. 

This is feels like a pretty nice win for the Sabres. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I can’t believe Chicago trade Jokiharju. Holy cow great job Botts! 

I still like Nylander but IMO he has major work ethic issues and is mainly a soft perimeter player. He could end up being good in the NHL, but Jokiharju is definitely a good top 4 NHL defenseman and even has top pair potential. 

I didn't want to give up on Nylander and sell low, but this isn’t selling low. Jokiharju IMO is the bette prospect right now. 

This is feels like a pretty nice win for the Sabres. 

This is a deal in which each player needed a change of scenery. Nylander seemed to be a player who in short stints would tantalize you with his impressive skill set. But what you never got from his is consistent intensity. He would often fade away and become invisible and then make a play that would tease you. As you noted he seemed to be primarily a perimeter player and not possess enough grinding traits that are required to succeed in the league. I'm hoping that a change of scenery will invigorate both of these players.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Honestly, I am relieved to  get rid of Nylander. I still held out hope that he would be an NHL player for us, but even if he does turn into a top 6 F, IMO I think he’s always going to be a player you have to worry about. 

Will he give s full effort today? Will he check out mentally? Will the other team make him check out by playing physical against him? Will he be a giant PITA to negotiate a contract with (his dad is kinda like Marner’s dad - a huge pain and very adamant about what his son is worth)? 

If he becomes an nhl player, I think he’s always going to be a guy that you will want more from, and someone who will disappear for stretches. 

I am am so happy we got such good value back for him. Missing on top 10 picks can set a franchise back years. Now we get s good NHL asset that isn’t going to bust and has just as much potential as Nylander. 

Plus Jokiharju is actually 1 year younger and his contract situation is exactly the same as Nylander’s. They are both entering year 2 of their ELC’s, so there is 6 years of team control left. 

I also think Jokiharju might be exempt from the expansion draft, which is a big bonus! 

It couldn’t be more perfect! 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

This is a deal in which each player needed a change of scenery. Nylander seemed to be a player who in short stints would tantalize you with his impressive skill set. But what you never got from his is consistent intensity. He would often fade away and become invisible and then make a play that would tease you. As you noted he seemed to be primarily a perimeter player and not possess enough grinding traits that are required to succeed in the league. I'm hoping that a change of scenery will invigorate both of these players.  

Just curious how you know this about Nylander? You watch a lot of Amerks games on the inter webs?

Edited by plenzmd1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Just curious how you know this about Nylander? You watch a lot of Amerks games on the inter webs?

I don't watch many Amerk games but I do watch the highlights from their games from their web site. I have also heard many interviews of Chris Taylor, the HC, discussing Nylander. The description of his play rarely changes. Nylander is described as a skilled and finesse player. Taylor has often said that he and his staff assiduously work to get him to play a more two way game and a harder physical game on the boards and in his zone. When the description of his style of play hasn't changed much over the past couple of years then it becomes obvious (at least to me) that he is either incapable of rounding out his game or he doesn't have the desire to. 

I have seen him in a few Sabre games. For the most part he is an invisible and no impact player with some interludes of skill. But what is evident to the observer is that his game lacks consistent energy. I have a standard way of evaluating players: Trust your eyes and not your hope.   

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

That's what counts as taking a shot at your former team nowadays?  Those comments are even more tame than our daily plenz/JohnC slap fights in this thread.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

That's what counts as taking a shot at your former team nowadays?  Those comments are even more tame than our daily plenz/JohnC slap fights in this thread.

Plenz is a tough nut to get through to. When his hemorrhoids are on fire he blames Housley for the painful eruption. Although he may seem incorrigible I will not give up on him. Although at times I have the desire to strangle him it doesn't mean that I will quit on him. I'm confident that he will eventually come around. It may not happen in my life time but there is still a scintilla of hope. If K-9 continues to enable him he will never reform! :ph34r: