Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

1 hour ago, bbb said:

You made that name up, right?  

Nope!  I make mistakes but don't intentionally fabricate. He was on last year's training camp and also developmental camp rosters. There is a good chance he can start the season in Rochester next season. 

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2019/9/11/20861402/buffalo-sabres-release-training-camp-roster-nhl-eichel-dahlin-ristolainen-ullmark

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, shrader said:

If this report is even accurate, this looks like the kind of guy who would be signing an AHL contract.  I just wonder how legit it is given that everything falls back to this one Swedish source.  You know how things go with these translations sometimes.

We should soon find out this offseason whether this report had merit or not. Sometimes low profile players/prospect can surprise you. His younger brother is an example of that. 

26 minutes ago, JohnC said:

We should soon find out this offseason whether this report had merit or not. Sometimes low profile players/prospect can surprise you. His younger brother is an example of that. 

While low profile, Victor was a highly regarded prospect compared to him.  Remember he's been within the Sabre system for 6 years now.  And the brothers have never played pro hockey together, so they weren't scouting the two at the same time.  I have a hard time seeing Victor as the kind of guy who would have any leverage to pull they "sign my brother or I leave" game.  If it's just a deal with Rochester, then it makes much more sense to me.  But anyway, I'm going to continue to be skeptical of this report until I see more than one source.  At this point, that probably means that the Sabres have to announce the signing, because it's not really a story anyone is going to bother putting much work into.

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

While low profile, Victor was a highly regarded prospect compared to him.  Remember he's been within the Sabre system for 6 years now.  And the brothers have never played pro hockey together, so they weren't scouting the two at the same time.  I have a hard time seeing Victor as the kind of guy who would have any leverage to pull they "sign my brother or I leave" game.  If it's just a deal with Rochester, then it makes much more sense to me.  But anyway, I'm going to continue to be skeptical of this report until I see more than one source.  At this point, that probably means that the Sabres have to announce the signing, because it's not really a story anyone is going to bother putting much work into.

If his signing turns out to be useful for our minor league team  then it was a worthy deal. If his signing turns out not to be useful for our minor league team then what was the harm done by signing him? If the alleged deal doesn't materialize then so be it. For me the more interesting foreign player to follow and most likely the better prospect is Arttu Ruotsalainen. 

27 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If his signing turns out to be useful for our minor league team  then it was a worthy deal. If his signing turns out not to be useful for our minor league team then what was the harm done by signing him? If the alleged deal doesn't materialize then so be it. For me the more interesting foreign player to follow and most likely the better prospect is Arttu Ruotsalainen. 

I'm all for following Arttu closer as well, since we in fact know he has a contract with the Sabres.  My big question mark with older Olofsson is that at his age he's already at his ceiling.  I don't see someone worthy of an NHL two-way contract.  Now if it's an AHL only deal, I'm all for it.

3 hours ago, shrader said:

I'm all for following Arttu closer as well, since we in fact know he has a contract with the Sabres.  My big question mark with older Olofsson is that at his age he's already at his ceiling.  I don't see someone worthy of an NHL two-way contract.  Now if it's an AHL only deal, I'm all for it.

I don't know the terms of his contract if he does sign. The only issue that I am concerned about is how he plays. It's unlikely that the older Olofsson will make the NHL roster next year when the season starts. When all is said and done it will be his play that is the determining factor. The same line of thinking applies to Arttu. 

Attached is a column on Risto by Bill Hoppe from the Buffalo Hockey Beat. The writer points out that Risto's play improved under the guidance of Krueger who simplified his game, played him fewer minutes per game and surrounded him with more talent. Our GM has taken a lot of valid criticism for the way he has shaped the roster. But the one thing he has done well is put together a good defensive unit with a lot of young talent that includes Dahlin and Joki. 

The big question this offseason is whether he is going to be dealt for forward help. I'm open to him being traded assuming that we are going to get back equal value. There were stories last year that the GM was shopping him but the offers were not acceptable.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-succeeded-in-helping-rasmus-ristolainen-transform-game-this-season/?view=getnewpost

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Attached is a column on Risto by Bill Hoppe from the Buffalo Hockey Beat. The writer points out that Risto's play improved under the guidance of Krueger who simplified his game, played him fewer minutes per game and surrounded him with more talent. Our GM has taken a lot of valid criticism for the way he has shaped the roster. But the one thing he has done well is put together a good defensive unit with a lot of young talent that includes Dahlin and Joki. 

The big question this offseason is whether he is going to be dealt for forward help. I'm open to him being traded assuming that we are going to get back equal value. There were stories last year that the GM was shopping him but the offers were not acceptable.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-succeeded-in-helping-rasmus-ristolainen-transform-game-this-season/?view=getnewpost

Yup he's quite the ping pong ball genius for getting Dahlin.  Let's wait a bit before annointing Joki.  He was ok.  

20 hours ago, JohnC said:

Nope!  I make mistakes but don't intentionally fabricate. He was on last year's training camp and also developmental camp rosters. There is a good chance he can start the season in Rochester next season. 

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2019/9/11/20861402/buffalo-sabres-release-training-camp-roster-nhl-eichel-dahlin-ristolainen-ullmark

He was only let go to protect Rick Jeanneret because any combination of “Ristolainen to Ruotsalainen or Ruotsalainen to Ristolainen” was a stroke risk during RJ’s play by play call. 

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

He was only let go to protect Rick Jeanneret because any combination of “Ristolainen to Ruotsalainen or Ruotsalainen to Ristolainen” was a stroke risk during RJ’s play by play call. 

RJ would love to have the opportunity to bellow out RUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTUUUUU!?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

We might as well throw Asplund and Dahlin into that call too.  Three Rasmuses, two Ristos, all we need is one extra forward to round out the collection.  Maybe we can throw RJ a bone and throw CJ Smith out there with them.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

@JohnC AHL it is.

The young players I will be more closely following entering the next training camp are Arttu Ruotsalainen, Tage Thompson, Casey Mittelstadt and Kahun. I expect Arttu to start off in Rochester. Kahun playing on a line with Johansson and Olofsson at the end of the abbreviated season seemed promising. In my mind they have the makeup of being a good third line with a lot of skill and skating talent. With respect to Tage and Casey if they earn roster spots it will provide a lot more line options and depth. In my view the biggest issue is still to construct a credible second-line. We are not there yet. 

• Like (+1) 1