Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

55 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

McCabe is out of his damn mind if he thinks he’s worth anything near $4.3M. lol

Buffalo’s offer is way more in line with the comparables. 

Hopefully he’s just shooting way high, hoping the arbitrator settles somewhere in the middle. 

If he was actually awarded that amount in arbitration, I believe the Sabres can just walk away (which I would 100% do. I hate losing assets for nothing but He’s just not worth that type of money)

edit - nope. Just looked. The walk away number is $4.397, so he’s just under it. 

I, like you, don't believe that he will be awarded the $4.397 M that he is asking for. But if he is considered a second-pairing caliber defenseman he will be awarded more than what the Sabres are offering him, maybe $2.5 plus. For the sake of argument if the Sabres do deal Risto for a second-line forward then McCabe's value certainly would be more than the Sabre's offer. 

This is just my guess but I wouldn't be surprised if the Sabres dealt Risto or even McCabe and additional players to get back one bona fide second line player. It's funny how our cap situation has gone from being wide open to being tight in short order. I'm anxiously waiting for some deals. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I, like you, don't believe that he will be awarded the $4.397 M that he is asking for. But if he is considered a second-pairing caliber defenseman he will be awarded more than what the Sabres are offering him, maybe $2.5 plus. For the sake of argument if the Sabres do deal Risto for a second-line forward then McCabe's value certainly would be more than the Sabre's offer. 

This is just my guess but I wouldn't be surprised if the Sabres dealt Risto or even McCabe and additional players to get back one bona fide second line player. It's funny how our cap situation has gone from being wide open to being tight in short order. I'm anxiously waiting for some deals. 

Yeah, about $2.5M ish is what I was thinking, too.

and I wouldn’t be surprised to see McCabe deals either. There were some rumors of him potentially being on the block earlier this offseason. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-ink-jake-mccabe-two-year-deal

The Sabres have avoided arbitration by signing Jake McCabe to a two-year, $5.7 million deal. The cap hit for McCabe is $2.8 million and puts the Sabres over the NHL Salary Cap by just over $500,000. Linus Ullmark’s arbitration award will up that number.

I can live with $2.8M

interested to see what moves are made to become cap compliant. They have a few options (send players down, buy outs, trades. Hamilton goes over them in the article)

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

I foresee a buyoutapalooza coming soon. 

Paul Hamilton has repeatedly stated that Botts is usually steadfast in not buying out players. I wouldn't be surprised if Botts sent Sobotka down to Rochester in hopes that he leaves the continent. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rochester route was used to help give some cap relief. I see some trades materializing soon that will help a little with the cap. Some players may be dealt for some low round picks. 

Next year, there should be a lot more financial flexibility because a number of players are on the last year of their contracts. I believe that Scandella and Bogo are in that category. 

On 7/31/2019 at 12:14 PM, BillsFan4 said:

$800k is obviously a bit low, but $2.65M seems way too high to me. 

Hoping for something around $1-1.3M. 

Good call, BF4. Ullmark came in at $1.325m. Well done!

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not sure this NHL.com link will come through. If it does it is a six minute segment that gives a less than optimistic assessment of the team. The general thesis by both Dan Rosen and Mike Johnson is that there are so many unanswered issues. They both are not too keen on our goaltending situation. 

https://www.nhl.com/

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

I'm not sure this NHL.com link will come through. If it does it is a six minute segment that gives a less than optimistic assessment of the team. The general thesis by both Dan Rosen and Mike Johnson is that there are so many unanswered issues. They both are not too keen on our goaltending situation. 

https://www.nhl.com/

I think this is the link to the video segment you’re looking for -

https://www.nhl.com/video/31-in-31-buffalo-sabres/t-290549380/c-68680403

I haven’t watched it yet (I will shortly)

13 hours ago, K-9 said:

Good call, BF4. Ullmark came in at $1.325m. Well done!

Lol thanks man. 

Im actually a bit surprised it wasn’t closer to $1.7. I figured it would fall closer to being split it down the middle like with ERod. 

Edited by BillsFan4

It’s Buffalo Sabres day on ProHockeyTalk.

Links:

Its Buffalo Sabres day - https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2019/08/04/its-buffalo-sabres-day-at-pht-5/

Krueger hold the key to unlocking the Sabres - https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2019/08/04/krueger-holds-key-to-unlocking-sabres-potential/

Sabres have questions to answer in offensive, defensive zone - https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2019/08/04/sabres-have-questions-to-answer-in-offensive-defensive-zones/

Botterill’s plan needs to bear fruit in Buffalo - https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2019/08/04/botterills-plan-needs-to-bear-fruit-in-buffalo/

Edited by BillsFan4

The attached link is a 45 minute interview with Jason  Botterill on WGR's Instigator show. He went through the roster and talked about how he goes about not just adding talent but assembling a roster and team. My takeaway from this interview is that Botts is a smart guy and has a vision on how to build a team and organization. He was reasonably candid in a public setting talking about players and where they are and what he expects from them.

There were a couple of nuggets that I got out of this interview. One is that I get the sense that Risto will be on this roster. The second is that he is counting on Mitts to take a leap forward and center a line with better wingers. This interview is worth listening to in this barren period of the hockey scene.  

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/08-07-sabres-general-manager-jason-botterill-instigators

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The attached link is a 45 minute interview with Jason  Botterill on WGR's Instigator show. He went through the roster and talked about how he goes about not just adding talent but assembling a roster and team. My takeaway from this interview is that Botts is a smart guy and has a vision on how to build a team and organization. He was reasonably candid in a public setting talking about players and where they are and what he expects from them.

There were a couple of nuggets that I got out of this interview. One is that I get the sense that Risto will be on this roster. The second is that he is counting on Mitts to take a leap forward and center a line with better wingers. This interview is worth listening to in this barren period of the hockey scene.  

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/08-07-sabres-general-manager-jason-botterill-instigators

I dont have 45 minutes to listen, but that sure is not the impression on by some respected guys 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I dont have 45 minutes to listen, but that sure is not the impression on by some respected guys 

If you listened to the interview and disagreed with his views that's fine. It's understandable that someone doesn't have the time to listen to an extended interview. If that is the case then why bother to comment?  

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you listened to the interview and disagreed with his views that's fine. It's understandable that someone doesn't have the time to listen to an extended interview. If that is the case then why bother to comment?  

just saying sounds like it was a poop show

6 minutes ago, bbb said:

Any reasons given?  

general gist i am getting

1) Mitts is  2C ready

2) vessey drives the net will help Mitts be better and a 2c..yes Jmmey freaking Vesey

3) Sabotka is a valuable/versatile piece

20 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

1) Mitts is  2C ready

2) vessey drives the net will help Mitts be better and a 2c..yes Jmmey freaking Vesey

Thanks 

24 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I wasn't able to bring up the BN article. From what I heard about him he is constantly looking at different training methods. Just watching him play it is apparent that he is a relentless effort player you don't have worry about. Even when he is subjected to periods of scoring lulls the effort is still there. You can't play at his pace without being in superb condition. 

Edited by JohnC
editing

23 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

1) Mitts is  2C ready

Meanwhile, back in reality:

1) Mitts is far from having proved himself as an NHL starter, let alone a 2C.

2) Vessey is more or less, a bust.

3) Sabotka is f-ing god awful and if NHL contracts were not guaranteed, he wouldn't be on the team right now.