Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Ralph Krueger on the instigators -

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/09-10-sabres-head-coach-ralph-krueger-instigators

I love listening to this guy talk. 

Yes, it was very nice to hear that he plans to design a system specifically tailored to what This Team and These specific players do well. 

Ill wait to get excited until I see it put into action, but it’s definitely a good start and a refreshing change from our previous coaches ramming a system down our players throats regardless of whether it worked or not (Bylsma, Housley) or a complete lack of any system at all (Nolan).  

Whenever you hear Krueger talking about his philosophy in coaching, management and building an organization he always emphasizes the process. He frequently points out that before you get to Z you have to start with A. You build a foundation and then you add to it. For him (as you point out) there is always adjusting to what the individual player/s can handle and then you add on to the foundation. With Bylsma, maybe even more than Housley, there was a rigidity and zealous adherence to one's system without much regard to the makeup and capacity of the roster. 

It was reported that Krueger had a lunch with Okposo and some other players. Okposo stressed that he wanted to get away from complicated systems and play with more instinct and less thought. As great as the new coach is as a talker he is even more talented as a listener. That's an integral part of his process. 

• Like (+1) 1

Speaking of Krueger...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-tense-rfa-waiting-game-hits-final-stages/

27. There’ve been rumblings that Sabres players have been pleasantly surprised by their meetings with new coach Ralph Krueger. Eichel confirmed that in Chicago. 

“I’ll tell you, I went to meet him for a cup of coffee in Slovakia (World Championships) and ended up going to dinner for three hours,” the captain said. “I was extremely blown away by my meeting with him. If he says that he does something, it makes you want to do it. He started talking to me about Bikram Yoga and how much he loved it, so I went and tried Bikram Yoga.”

Eichel joked that he sweats a lot, so he fit in nicely. 

“He brings the best out of people. I don’t think we had one negative conversation the whole summer. He’s very calculated. He knows what he wants to do and has a plan for it. Nothing’s spur of the moment. Nothing emotional for him, he’s very thought out. I think it will be very good for us.” 

Eichel said their conversations spanned more than just hockey, with topics including “rock and roll, cars, travelling, everything.” 

Does Krueger have good taste in music? “He likes ’70s rock,” so yes.

I know I’ve said this before, but I’ll say it again. I really thought that the Sabres needed a coach that would command the respect of the entire locker room and get real buy-in (like McDermott with the Bills). I think that’s something this team has really lacked. It looked like they bought in with Housley for a minute, but that quickly seemed to fall apart with the losing. 

Im getting hopeful that Krueger will be able to get real buy in from this team. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I don't want to diminish the good vibrations that many are feeling about this coach and what he can do working with this roster. Within the hockey world and outside of it Krueger is an impressive man. The crucial issue beyond the coach is whether he has enough talent on this roster to elevate a struggling team into a playoff team, or at the minimum compete for a playoff spot up to the end of the season. I'm not sure that we currently have the requisite talent to get there this season. 

Last year,  the GM dealt for Skinner prior to the season. That was a terrific pickup. During the season Botts traded for Montour. That also was a superb pickup. Is the addition of Miller, Vesey and Johannson significant? I believe that it added not only solid talent to the roster but added some grit to a soft team. What I would like to see if Risto is dealt is a second-line forward who will help to create a credible second-line that can take some scoring pressure off of the Jack line. By bringing in a good second forward that would also result in a player moving down to the third line and also making it a more contributing line.  

There are a lot of good coaches in this league. The biggest factor for success is the talent level on the roster. Do the Sabres have enough talent to be a good team? I'm not sure that we have enough talent on the roster this year to make a noticeable leap forward ? I would love to be wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

I don't want to diminish the good vibrations that many are feeling about this coach and what he can do working with this roster. Within the hockey world and outside of it Krueger is an impressive man. The crucial issue beyond the coach is whether he has enough talent on this roster to elevate a struggling team into a playoff team, or at the minimum compete for a playoff spot up to the end of the season. I'm not sure that we currently have the requisite talent to get there this season. 

Last year,  the GM dealt for Skinner prior to the season. That was a terrific pickup. During the season Botts traded for Montour. That also was a superb pickup. Is the addition of Miller, Vesey and Johannson significant? I believe that it added not only solid talent to the roster but added some grit to a soft team. What I would like to see if Risto is dealt is a second-line forward who will help to create a credible second-line that can take some scoring pressure off of the Jack line. By bringing in a good second forward that would also result in a player moving down to the third line and also making it a more contributing line.  

There are a lot of good coaches in this league. The biggest factor for success is the talent level on the roster. Do the Sabres have enough talent to be a good team? I'm not sure that we have enough talent on the roster this year to make a noticeable leap forward ? I would love to be wrong. 

How long is long enough for a GM to assemble talent?

17 hours ago, JohnC said:

While I have always subscribed to the “talent trumps coaching” philosophy, last year the Sabres were the perfect storm of poor talent AND poor coaching. Coaches like Housley need great talent up and down the lineup to have any chance of winning.

17 minutes ago, K-9 said:

While I have always subscribed to the “talent trumps coaching” philosophy, last year the Sabres were the perfect storm of poor talent AND poor coaching. Coaches like Housley need great talent up and down the lineup to have any chance of winning.

The Housley era is over with. As you well know I often stated and still believe that the team's struggles had more to do with its dearth of talent than the lackluster coaching. I don't care if Krueger or Queeneville or Trotz was behind our bench last year it still wouldn't have been a playoff contending team.  The lack of a second line and secondary scoring was a deficit that couldn't be hidden. I'm not suggesting that Housley was a good coach because he simply wasn't flexible enough to adjust to his team's limitations. But in the end talent with good coaching will prevail while most often a lack of talent with good coaching won't consistently prevail. 

The obvious question is how talented is the team that Krueger is inheriting? And is there enough talent to be a fringe caliber playoff team? I'm not sure. However, if Botts can bring in a genuine second line forward I would be more optimistic.  

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The Housley era is over with. As you well know I often stated and still believe that the team's struggles had more to do with its dearth of talent than the lackluster coaching. I don't care if Krueger or Queeneville or Trotz was behind our bench last year it still wouldn't have been a playoff contending team.  The lack of a second line and secondary scoring was a deficit that couldn't be hidden. I'm not suggesting that Housley was a good coach because he simply wasn't flexible enough to adjust to his team's limitations. But in the end talent with good coaching will prevail while most often a lack of talent with good coaching won't consistently prevail. 

The obvious question is how talented is the team that Krueger is inheriting? And is there enough talent to be a fringe caliber playoff team? I'm not sure. However, if Botts can bring in a genuine second line forward I would be more optimistic.  

I think the coaching was so god awful last year I am willing to make a bet( shocking I know).. I say the Sabres either make the playoffs or are with 5 pts..loser has to donate $50 to Sabre Alumni Scholarship!

http://www.sabresalumni.com/page.cshtml/9

You in?

27 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I think the coaching was so god awful last year I am willing to make a bet( shocking I know).. I say the Sabres either make the playoffs or are with 5 pts..loser has to donate $50 to Sabre Alumni Scholarship!

http://www.sabresalumni.com/page.cshtml/9

You in?

No I am not in because I believe that we are going to be in the range that you stated. With respect to donating to charities I am at a level beyond what you can imagine. So I prefer channeling my money to my preferred causes. I'm very invested in a scholarship fund at my high school. 

I am upbeat on the season. However, I still believe that we are a year or so away from being a serious team. As I have repeatedly told you that I believe in the process and that we are properly on course. Need I remind you that you, not I,  are the character who is constantly in a state of despair and constant lamenting. I have more than once stated that we are on an upward trajectory. Your standard response is to snicker. :)

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

No I am not in because I believe that we are going to be in the range that you stated. With respect to donating to charities I am at a level beyond what you can imagine. So I prefer channeling my money to my preferred causes. I'm very invested in a scholarship fund at my high school. 

I am upbeat on the season. However, I still believe that we are a year or so away from being a serious team. As I have repeatedly told you that I believe in the process and that we are properly on course. Need I remind you that you, not I,  are the character who is constantly in a state of despair and constant lamenting. I have more than once stated that we are on an upward trajectory. Your standard response is to snicker. :)

Are you Bill Gates????  Start paying for haircuts.  You're a f@$#ing billionaire.  Throw away the Flowbee !!!

7 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Are you Bill Gates????  Start paying for haircuts.  You're a f@$#ing billionaire.  Throw away the Flowbee !!!

Does Bill Gates pay for haircuts?  How does one consistently have such horrible haircuts?!?

I know there's a free agent log jam going on and what not, but at some point, Botterill might want to make some moves to improve this team.

Why in the world should it be any better than last year, other than maybe for a slight incremental improvement due to key players being a year older, bigger, and wiser?

The new coach?  That's probably a push at best.

This team has almost no chance of making the playoffs and the season hasn't even started yet.

Players reported to camp today for physicals. Practices start tomorrow! 

Were getting close now! Preseason starts in 4 days! 

That prospect tournament got me pretty excited, seeing the style of hockey Krueger wants to play. I love teams that constantly pressure the puck/puck carrier. They are usually exciting to watch, and are consistently some of the toughest teams to play against. I’m thinking they’ll use a 2-1-2 style forecheck as their main attack in the o zone, which should be pretty fun to watch...