Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

40 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Imo, the contract is close to what most of us expected as late as last November. I don’t understand the lengthy ‘negotiation’, given the uprising that would surely happen if they didn’t sign him long term. Was the inevitable firing of the coach a reason? Anyway, good for him -and US! 

couple of things here...

1) we dont know about movement clauses yet...that can always hold up a deal

2) the structue of the signing bonuses is key to Skinner. He gets lockout protection with the first payout..not sure why he took the the next one in year 5 instead of now.

3) the lower numbers in year 7 and 8 has to have something to do with buyouts...i just dont know what or what side it benefits  LOL..will dig into that as well

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

From the BN article this morning:

Yet, Skinner has proven to be one of the league's top goal scorers since he was drafted seventh overall by the Carolina Hurricanes in 2010. Since the start of the 2010-11 season, Skinner ranks fifth in even-strength goals, trailing only Alex Ovechkin, John Tavares, Patrick Kane and Steven Stamkos.

‘Nuff said. He’s not overpaid by one red cent. 

And look at some of the players making over $9m this year, too.

• Thank you (+1) 1

spotrac has the bonus split into 2 at year 3 and 5, Capfriendly has it in year 2 and 4. Think spotrac more likely right as that lines up with the CBA expiration..at least i think it does.

Capfriendly also reports full No Movement Clause..cost of doing business i guess and not wanted him to hit July 1

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, K-9 said:

We’re gonna sign Duchene and Panarin!

Unless there is a beach where there is plenty of radiant sun in the dead of winter Panarin's girlfriend will never allow it. Booty can be influential. I see Panarin going to Florida or maybe even NY where there is plenty of Russian company and bars serving good vodka. 

It would be interesting to learn if Botts has a genuine interest in Duchene or vice versa. 

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Unless there is a beach where there is plenty of radiant sun in the dead of winter Panarin's girlfriend will never allow it. Booty can be influential. I see Panarin going to Florida or maybe even NY where there is plenty of Russian company and bars serving good vodka. 

It would be interesting to learn if Botts has a genuine interest in Duchene or vice versa. 

You answered that like I was being serious, John. You’re losing your touch. 

I warned ya. Don’t make me stop this car!

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, K-9 said:

You answered that like I was being serious, John. You’re losing your touch. 

I warned ya. Don’t make me stop this car!

I was aware that you weren't serious. You sir might be losing your golden touch. Or maybe you haven't had the time to sip your high end coffee. :)

It's obvious that Panarin is not a possibility. Would the Sabres be able to entice Duchne with a generous offer? My belief is no------subject to change of course. 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I was aware that you weren't serious. You sir might be losing your golden touch. Or maybe you haven't had the time to sip your high end coffee. :)

It's obvious that Panarin is not a possibility. Would the Sabres be able to entice Duchne with a generous offer? My belief is no------subject to change of course. 

My new slogan is, 

“Balls to the wall for Taylor Hall”

He’s a free agent after this coming season and rumor has it he doesn’t want to re-sign with the Devils. Let’s put some trade chips on the table and pry him loose. I think he liked playing for Krueger in Edmonton, too. 

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

My new slogan is, 

“Balls to the wall for Taylor Hall”

He’s a free agent after this coming season and rumor has it he doesn’t want to re-sign with the Devils. Let’s put some trade chips on the table and pry him loose. I think he liked playing for Krueger in Edmonton, too. 

Risto for Hall would be enticing. My concern with dealing for Hall is that he will be a free agent in another year. Unless a deal can be prearranged locking him up for the long term I would be hesitant. I may be wrong but wasn't there a Risto for Hall trade proposal a few years back? And if my memory is correct weren't we the side that balked at the deal? 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Is there any possibility of an offer sheet for Mitch Marner?

Not from the Sabres. I’d do it if I were another team, though. Why not? He’s an elite player.  But I suspect he will re-sign with the Leafs on a deal structured like Matthews’s.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Risto for Hall would be enticing. My concern with dealing for Hall is that he will be a free agent in another year. Unless a deal can be prearranged locking him up for the long term I would be hesitant. I may be wrong but wasn't there a Risto for Hall trade proposal a few years back? And if my memory is correct weren't we the side that balked at the deal? 

Gonna take a lot more than Risto, but that’s a starting point. 

Hall entering free agency is risky, but I’d still take the chance a la Skinner. 

I can’t recall if we were in discussions with the Oilers before they traded Hall to New Jersey.

Edited by K-9

13 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Not from the Sabres. I’d do it if I were another team, though. Why not? He’s an elite player.  But I suspect he will re-sign with the Leafs on a deal structured like Matthews’s.

I can’t recall if we were in discussions with the Oilers  erode they trade Hall to New Jersey.

Why not Sabres - $$$?

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why not Sabres - $$$?

Yep, it’s the money he will command. That, and will a team be willing to give up their next four 1st round picks if Toronto declines to match? The Leafs will probably get him at less than his market value. 

43 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I can’t recall if we were in discussions with the Oilers  erode they trade Hall to New Jersey.

Edmonton is going to be cap squeezed after working on some contracts this offseason. This link reflects some rumors out there regarding some prospective deals that include Risto. My feelings about Risto is very ambivalent. I think with a coach like Krueger he will become a smarter and more disciplined player. 

https://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-edmonton-oilers-and-the-buffalo-sabres/2019/03/26/

Edited by JohnC

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Imo, the contract is close to what most of us expected as late as last November. I don’t understand the lengthy ‘negotiation’, given the uprising that would surely happen if they didn’t sign him long term. Was the inevitable firing of the coach a reason? Anyway, good for him -and US! 

IMO, he was waiting to see how the coaching situation played out.  It's not a coincidence that he signed the deal within a week of Kruger being formerly introduced as the HC...

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why not Sabres - $$$?

Key to offer sheets and Sabres is Sabres do not have their 3rd round pick this year. 

So they could do the 4 first rounders, but any offer that requires a 3rd rounder is out of the wSabres. 

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Edmonton is going to be cap squeezed after working on some contracts this offseason. This link reflects some rumors out there regarding some prospective deals that include Risto. My feelings about Risto is very ambivalent. I think with a coach like Krueger he will become a smarter and more disciplined player. 

https://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-edmonton-oilers-and-the-buffalo-sabres/2019/03/26/

I like Risto. Yeah, he has brain cramps at times, but I think a lot of that has been being asked to do more than he’s capable of while logging insane minutes against top lines since he came into the league. Great point about Krueger and his ability to maximize Risto’s game. If anyone can do that, I get the sense it may be him. 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

The parameters of the deal both length-wise and amount were set a long time ago. It was always going to be in the $8-9 M range. But that is not to say that there wasn't quibbling between those numbers. In this case the Skinner camp had more leverage than the Sabre camp. So the player got mostly what he wanted and the Sabres got what they needed. Everything I heard about the negotiations was that the parties were in constant contact and the communications were professionally done with little histrionics involved. 

...think Pegula is tired of the "perennial losers" stigma and is on board with whatever it takes......

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Key to offer sheets and Sabres is Sabres do not have their 3rd round pick this year. 

So they could do the 4 first rounders, but any offer that requires a 3rd rounder is out of the wSabres. 

We don’t have our 2nd or our 4th. I believe we do have our 3rd though. But your point still stands... lol 

• Like (+1) 1