Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 4:45 PM, ChevyVanMiller said:

Fixed it for you:

Blah $$$$ culture blah $$$$ culture blah $$$$ culture...

Blah more $$$$ for more losing blah more $$$$ for more losing blah more $$$$ for more losing

5 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Why did WGR/One Bills Live even bother carrying the damn press conference?! They showed less than 1/4 of it. 

They cut it off after like the 2nd or 3rd question, only a couple minutes in. How stupid. Thankfully the Sabres website had the whole thing. 

I'm not too interested in a press conference about the signing of Skinner to a gargantuan contract (that he earned ). This signing was predicted by most people associated with the team and outside the organization.  Don't misunderstand what I am saying. I'm not criticizing the understandable interest in this important signing. However, I'm more interested in the GM announcing that he has dealt for a few players that will bolster this lagging roster. I foresee some solid deals made around the time of the draft. That is what is holding my intention. 

Fortunately he was only in Carolina for the last two years.  I wouldn't want anything to do with the coach responsible for the state of the goalies in that franchise prior to this year.  I'll give him a free pass for being stuck with the corpses of Ward/Darling for his first season.

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

Fortunately he was only in Carolina for the last two years.  I wouldn't want anything to do with the coach responsible for the state of the goalies in that franchise prior to this year.  I'll give him a free pass for being stuck with the corpses of Ward/Darling for his first season.

He was responsible for Matt Murray’s development in Pittsburgh (and IMO Murray hasn’t looked as good since he left). 

Marc-Andre Fleury also gave him a lot of credit for helping him. Fleury was always kind of known for choking in the playoffs and made a huge improvement in Bales 1st year working with him. 

And Carolina’s goaltending this year was a huge surprise. 

5 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

As I stated in a recent post about press conferences for any big time player signing there usually isn't much to be gleaned from what has been said. However, even with my shrugging attitude towards these type of conferences and interviews my takeaway from a Skinner interview, not just this interview, is that he is a very thoughtful person who listens to the questions and in unvarnished way with little glibness gives clear and thoughtful answers. There is nothing phony about him and his commitment to the game. I'm glad everything worked out well for him and the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

This would be a big get, if true. I have heard knowledgeable hockey people call him one of the top goalie coaches in the NHL. 

Beane's recruiting powers are amazing

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GG said:

Beane's recruiting powers are amazing

For sure. 

Remember, Ralph Krueger was a scouting consultant for the Carolina Hurricanes from 2005-2010. 

And the Sabres D coach, Steve Smith, worked for Carolina for 4 years. 

And there’s rumors that Krueger May look to add Mike Vellucci, Carolina’s current asst. GM and Head Coach of their AHL team (that just won the Calder Cup). 

( insert dead horse GIF here)

is Phil Housley possiblybthe worst coach in Buffalo history?

i mean he had a team with Jack, ROR,Kane And Samson and still managed to finish in last. 

Subtract Kane and ROR, but add Skinner and Dahlin, and he essentially got last again this year. 

And he prolly was a big big reason why ROR had to be dealt/ wanted out. 

Wow. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

( insert dead horse GIF here)

is Phil Housley possiblybthe worst coach in Buffalo history?

i mean he had a team with Jack, ROR,Kane And Samson and still managed to finish in last. 

Subtract Kane and ROR, but add Skinner and Dahlin, and he essentially got last again this year. 

And he prolly was a big big reason why ROR had to be dealt/ wanted out. 

Wow. 

Sabres will make the playoffs this season. Guaranteed! 

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Gudas and Wilson on the same team...oh boy that should be fun!

Cmon GMJB, where be our trades??

Very often trades and deals happen around the draft. Now is the time where GMs are communicating with one another trying to get a feel for what is out there and what is attainable. My sense is that Botts is not going to make any blockbuster deals but instead add a few good players instead of blowing his wad on an elite player or two. If there is a big time trade it will probably involve Risto. However, it was reported more than once that when the GM was interviewing candidates for the coaching job he asked the candidates what they would do to make Risto a better player. So I'm not sure that he wants to deal him and create another hole to fill. 

It's obvious that because of your unbridled impulses for volatility that you have a distaste for the GM's conservative inclination and belief in developing one's own talent. If you look back at last year Botts added Skinner, made an in-season trade for Montour and picked up Pilut on the free agent market. If he can similarly add three or four good players and get improved play from some of the young players (Oloffsson, Nylander, Pilut, CJ Smith, Borgen, Dahlin and others) and with better coaching this team should be better. It's not sexy but it is the right course to take. 

Screw that @JohnC, i want trades, and big ones! I want free agents, and big ones!! I want an ROR trade in reverse,I want a huge gamble on going all in like the Blue Jackets did. I want a Kawai like trade, I want a Biscuit trade...we need to shake this team up and get out of building mode and get into winning mode..

11 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Screw that @JohnC, i want trades, and big ones! I want free agents, and big ones!! I want an ROR trade in reverse,I want a huge gamble on going all in like the Blue Jackets did. I want a Kawai like trade, I want a Biscuit trade...we need to shake this team up and get out of building mode and get into winning mode..

It's not going to happen. If you are miserable now you are going to be miserable later. I have no doubt that there are going to be additions to this roster. But there won't be any blockbuster deals (my opinion) such as the acquisition of Matt Duchene for a max or near max contract. There are going to be opportunities to add good players to boost this roster. Taking a PR expedient approach might make you glow for the short term but it won't take long for that sheen to fade and return you to your old pallid color. Be a little more patient. It won't kill you. :)

They make the Bales hire official and add Don Granato.

Granato was originally hired by Joel Quenneville in Chicago, and stuck around when Q was fired. He and Chicago mutually parted ways this offseason.

heres a little info on him from when Chicago hired him-

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/blackhawks/ct-blackhawks-don-granato-assistant-20170615-story.html

I believe in his time with the USNTDP he coached Eichel, Thompson, Fitzgerald (not sure who else)

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/chicago-blackhawks/don-granato-thrilled-be-working-calm-q-again

Edited by BillsFan4