Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

$9M was the absolute max I was willing to give Skinner (not that it matter what I was willing to do....lol). 

Still hoping it falls in just under $9M AAV, but I am definitely glad to hear he is signing. 

I worry about bout the price tag, but the Sabres are nowhere near being in cap trouble right now. And even if they were, I’d still rather them sign Skinner and figure out a way to get rid of the actual garbage on the roster instead of our best goal scorer. 

That’s a hell of a lot of money for Skinner. But I’m definitely glad he’s signed. Like I said, the Sabres have plenty of cap space still, and plenty more dead weight to get rid of before thinking about letting one of our better players walk over roughly $1M a year. 

5 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

That’s a hell of a lot of money for Skinner. But I’m definitely glad he’s signed. Like I said, the Sabres have plenty of cap space still, and plenty more dead weight to get rid of before thinking about letting one of our better players walk over roughly $1M a year. 

What's funny is it won't be a lot of money soon.

We had to overpay by a million or two to retain him as we were the more desperate party.  It's the length of the contract that scares me as he'll likely regress after year five or so.  Let's hope that salary cap keeps rising at its current pace the last two years.

8 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

I had a feeling from the presser they already had this almost done.

Skinner signs $72 million extension to stay with Sabres

he Buffalo Sabres have a new coach and now they’ve locked up one the biggest names on the roster to a long-term deal.

Jeff Skinner is staying in Buffalo after the Sabres announced Friday night that he has signed an eight-year extension worth $72 million. The contract carries a $9M average annual value and runs through the 2026-27 NHL season. The cap hit is the second-highest on the team behind Jack Eichel, whose AAV is at $10M.

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2019/06/07/skinner-signs-72-million-extension-to-stay-with-sabres/

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Thank God Botts got it done. Now let’s add Duchene in FA.

Duchene apparently really wants to play for the Preds. Montreal is his second choice.  Columbus is going to do anything and everything to keep him. I think buffalo would need to significantly overpay to sign him.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Skinner definitely made out. I'll bet the delay was one last call around the league to make sure no one would offer more. But I'm sure no one would or could top 9MM/8Y. Sabres had no choice.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Duchene apparently really wants to play for the Preds. Montreal is his second choice.  Columbus is going to do anything and everything to keep him. I think buffalo would need to significantly overpay to sign him.

I don't see the Sabres going out and dishing out an expensive and long term contract on a free agent player such as Duchene. What I see the GM doing is adding 3-4 solid to good players to the roster to balance and bolster the roster. In the not too distant future Reinhart's and then Dahlin's contracts will have to be addressed so he has to plan for it. (Don't get me wrong I would love to have Duchne but I just don't see that happening, especially if Buffalo is not one of his preferred locations.

Edited by JohnC

Imo, the contract is close to what most of us expected as late as last November. I don’t understand the lengthy ‘negotiation’, given the uprising that would surely happen if they didn’t sign him long term. Was the inevitable firing of the coach a reason? Anyway, good for him -and US! 

5 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Imo, the contract is close to what most of us expected as late as last November. I don’t understand the lengthy ‘negotiation’, given the uprising that would surely happen if they didn’t sign him long term. Was the inevitable firing of the coach a reason? Anyway, good for him -and US! 

The parameters of the deal both length-wise and amount were set a long time ago. It was always going to be in the $8-9 M range. But that is not to say that there wasn't quibbling between those numbers. In this case the Skinner camp had more leverage than the Sabre camp. So the player got mostly what he wanted and the Sabres got what they needed. Everything I heard about the negotiations was that the parties were in constant contact and the communications were professionally done with little histrionics involved. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't see the Sabres going out and dishing out an expensive and long term contract on a free agent player such as Duchene. What I see the GM doing is adding 3-4 solid to good players to the roster to balance and bolster the roster. In the not too distant future Reinhart's and then Dahlin's contracts will have to be addressed so he has to plan for it. (Don't get me wrong I would love to have Duchne but I just don't see that happening, especially if Buffalo is not one of his preferred locations.

We’re gonna sign Duchene and Panarin!

• Haha (+1) 1