Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

Well, I can't remember the last time the Devils and Sabres have done major business together, I really can't.....................

so the talk in Devils land about a big trade between the two teams seems very unlikely.

I brought Risto a couple of days because the Devils might see him as the perfect number 2 right handed D man behind Subban.

There are lots of particulars in a potential deal.

Sabres apparently want Jesper Boqvist as a part of any deal, but the Devils won't budge on their top offensive prospect, so a deal is very unlikely.

It would be very interesting if these two teams can work something out, but like I said, these two teams usually don't do business together.

21 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Well, I can't remember the last time the Devils and Sabres have done major business together, I really can't.....................

so the talk in Devils land about a big trade between the two teams seems very unlikely.

I brought Risto a couple of days because the Devils might see him as the perfect number 2 right handed D man behind Subban.

There are lots of particulars in a potential deal.

Sabres apparently want Jesper Boqvist as a part of any deal, but the Devils won't budge on their top offensive prospect, so a deal is very unlikely.

It would be very interesting if these two teams can work something out, but like I said, these two teams usually don't do business together.

I wasn’t even aware there was any talk of a potential deal. Glad the Sabres are (seemingly) holding firm on their offer. I’d MUCH rather bring Risto back than trade him for anything less than an ideal return. 

Hey, congrats on stealing Subban btw. What a great trade by Shero. That’s a savvy veteran GM taking advantage of a lower salary cap and a team’s desperation to clear cap space. 

I’m pretty sure the police were called though, so expect to be giving some type of statement in the coming days.... lol

23 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I wasn’t even aware there was any talk of a potential deal. Glad the Sabres are (seemingly) holding firm on their offer. I’d MUCH rather bring Risto back than trade him for anything less than an ideal return. 

Hey, congrats on stealing Subban btw. What a great trade by Shero. That’s a savvy veteran GM taking advantage of a lower salary cap and a team’s desperation to clear cap space. 

I’m pretty sure the police were called though, so expect to be giving some type of statement in the coming days.... lol

On paper it looks like a steal, but I also thought that Marcus Johansson was a steal too and it turned into a disaster for NJ.

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

So lets do this..you tell what  your definition is for success next year...I can tell you mine. Its freaking playoffs or this guy prolly needs to be gone. Getting back to where they were when he got after 3 years is not successful in my mind..

Your definition of success is going to lead you to being not only unhappy but also despondent. Unless some additions are made during the offseason I don't believe that this is a playoff team. I'm not saying that it is an impossible attainment so much as I am saying that it is improbable. The team will be better but there is still much to do especially with the young guys maturing and getting closer their potential. Sometimes dealing with reality can be tough. 

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Your definition of success is going to lead you to being not only unhappy but also despondent. Unless some additions are made during the offseason I don't believe that this is a playoff team. I'm not saying that it is an impossible attainment so much as I am saying that it is improbable. The team will be better but there is still much to do especially with the young guys maturing and getting closer their potential. Sometimes dealing with reality can be tough. 

So why in the world should I have faith in Jbotts?You are saying he needs 4 off seasons to make a team who was competing for a playoff spot well into February when he got here into a playoff team? 

This guy better deliver, and this year, or he sadly will be gone too, for good reason. This is his roster , and his 2nd coach. not Murray’s anymore. 

Having said that, I do think coaching will make a big difference, the numbers did not suggest the Sabres should have been as bad as they were, but another 83 point performance and this dude needs to be gone

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

So why in the world should I have faith in Jbotts?You are saying he needs 4 off seasons to make a team who was competing for a playoff spot well into February when he got here into a playoff team?

This guy better deliver, and this year, or he sadly will be gone too, for good reason. This is his roster , and his 2nd coach. not Murray’s anymore. 

Having said that, I do think coaching will make a big difference, the numbers did not suggest the Sabres should have been as bad as they were, but another 83 point performance and this dude needs to be gone

What team are you referring to that was competing for a playoff spot? Your claim that last year's team was in a serious playoff run is a mischaracterization. That team lacked enough talent to be a playoff team. The streak didn't reflect its actual talent level. And that's exactly what happened. I don't want to get involved in another year of circular discussions. The bystanders were getting fatigued with our perpetual dueling. Didn't you notice the hissing?

The Sabres should be better and approach the required talent threshold to qualify for the playoffs. We are not that far away but we are not there yet. Either you be more patient or you will rot from the inside. 

17 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

This brought to mind something that sticks in my craw about Scandella. Last season he waxed poetic about how nice it was to be playing meaningful games in March and the way he made it sound made me want to barf. Players who "get it" don't talk the way he did, they answer that question with "we expect to be playing meaningful games well past March." As in they take it as a given. He sounded too happy about being able to play meaningful games, not like he expected to play them all along. I don't know, maybe its me, but it seemed so symptomatic of the rotten, losing culture we've seen for years now. It's a loser's mentality. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What team are you referring to that was competing for a playoff spot? Your claim that last year's team was in a serious playoff run is a mischaracterization. That team lacked enough talent to be a playoff team. The streak didn't reflect its actual talent level. And that's exactly what happened. I don't want to get involved in another year of circular discussions. The bystanders were getting fatigued with our perpetual dueling. Didn't you notice the hissing?

The Sabres should be better and approach the required talent threshold to qualify for the playoffs. We are not that far away but we are not there yet. Either you be more patient or you will rot from the inside. 

The 15-16 played at a 96 point pace post all star break. The 16-17 team was 2 points out of a playoff spot entering their bye in Early February , and then pooped the bed and the coach and GM were fired for underachieving.

Two years and 3 offseasons later, I am told doing that exact same thing standings wise should be seen as progress. I will say JBotts knows how to underpromise like a champ, be nice if he could over deliver for a change. 

And @K-9, I don’t recall Scandella saying that, interesting as in his first year said too many guys okay with losing.. seems the “ culture” got to him. 

18 hours ago, bbb said:

The thing I like least about hockey is not really seeing a lot of goals or crazy saves in real time.  I did not catch what he did at regular speed. 

I wonder why we don't see that goal all of the time in the NHL? It's pretty much the Gait brothers move from lacrosse. Many guys in the NHL would have the skill level to pull that off. The goalie is always down hugging the post and couldn't guard the top corner at the same time.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JohnC said:

Nothing personal, but I would never want you to be my portfolio manager. You are too mercurial and impulsive. I appreciate your offer but I don't want to risk being impoverished. Currently, I'm the one driving the $$$$ bus and it is going in the right direction.  Thanks but no thanks. :)

If your portfolio is the Sabres you are impovrished and appear happy to remain that way until Google turns into Kodak.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I wonder why we don't see that goal all of the time in the NHL? It's pretty much the Gait brothers move from lacrosse. Many guys in the NHL would have the skill level to pull that off. The goalie is always down hugging the post and couldn't guard the top corner at the same time.

I was wondering that myself.  I was thinking that if enough guys got good at it, they would outlaw it.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bbb said:

I was wondering that myself.  I was thinking that if enough guys got good at it, they would outlaw it.  

Tons and guys have the skill to do it

The NHL is such a fast paced game that 99% of the time you won't have the time to pull that off

Somebody usually is barrelling the other way towards you to knock you on your butt

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone hear Renault Lavoie on WGR550 today? 

He sure made it sound like the reason Buffalo is shopping Ristolainen is because he asked them to. 

He was careful not to say Risto requested a trade. But it sure sounds like moving Ristolainen is player driven. 

It would make sense. I thought he sounded ready to be traded at his press conference on locker clean out day, and seeing ROR leave + win every award probably hardened Risto in that stance. 

I csnt blame the guy if he wanted to leave. Just like ROR, Risto is thrown to the wolves (given some of the toughest minutes in the entire NHL), but it’s been going on even longer with Risto.

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Anyone hear Renault Lavoie on WGR550 today? 

He sure made it sound like the reason Buffalo is shopping Ristolainen is because he asked them to. 

He was careful not to say Risto requested a trade. But it sure sounds like moving Ristolainen is player driven. 

It would make sense. I thought he sounded ready to be traded at his press conference on locker clean out day, and seeing ROR leave + win every award probably hardened Risto in that stance. 

I csnt blame the guy if he wanted to leave. Just like ROR, Risto is thrown to the wolves (given some of the toughest minutes in the entire NHL), but it’s been going on even longer with Risto.

Has Risto met with Krueger and had a chance to fall under his Svengali-like spell yet? 

I hate the idea of a discontented player driving the decision to trade him. If Krueger wants him gone, fine. But if he’s convinced that Risto can be salvaged and contribute in a positive way, then screw Risto, he should stay and be part of the solution. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Has Risto met with Krueger and had a chance to fall under his Svengali-like spell yet? 

I hate the idea of a discontented player driving the decision to trade him. If Krueger wants him gone, fine. But if he’s convinced that Risto can be salvaged and contribute in a positive way, then screw Risto, he should stay and be part of the solution. 

I have no idea. 

Knowing Risto, I would bet he could care less about a new coach or any of that stuff. I think he’s probably at the point where talk is cheap to him. He just wants the results. 

Every new coach comes in and says “we are going to ease the burden on risto” and every time it ends the same (so far, anyway). 

I agree though. He’s under contract for 3 more years. He may want to be traded, but that doesn’t mean botterill Needs to trade him. 

Taking the best offer they they can get seems like a recipe to get screwed. Wait for the RIGHT offer. Evander Kane wanted out of Winnipeg for 3+ years before he was finally traded. He said he straight up asked for a trade every year. Chevy held firm until he found the right deal. 

Botterill can not repeat the ROR mistake no matter what Ristolainen wants. 

BTW, it didn’t sound like he demanded a trade. More along the lines of he would be more than ok with moving on. 

Here is the link -

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/06-25-renaud-lavoie-tva-sports-howard-and-jeremy

its pretty much right at the start of the interview. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I have no idea. 

Knowing Risto, I would bet he could care less about a new coach or any of that stuff. I think he’s probably at the point where talk is cheap to him. He just wants the results. 

Every new coach comes in and says “we are going to ease the burden on risto” and every time it ends the same (so far, anyway). 

I agree though. He’s under contract for 3 more years. He may want to be traded, but that doesn’t mean botterill Needs to trade him. 

Taking the best offer they they can get seems like a recipe to get screwed. Wait for the RIGHT offer. Evander Kane wanted out of Winnipeg for 3+ years before he was finally traded. He said he straight up asked for a trade every year. Chevy held firm until he found the right deal. 

Botterill can not repeat the ROR mistake no matter what Ristolainen wants. 

BTW, it didn’t sound like he demanded a trade. More along the lines of he would be more than ok with moving on. 

Here is the link -

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/06-25-renaud-lavoie-tva-sports-howard-and-jeremy

its pretty much right at the start of the interview. 

I wouldn't move Ristolainen no matter what he feelzzz.

He needs to be (and can be) part of the solution.  He's talented, a very young veteran, and fairly cheap for a few more years to come.  I mean holy crap, the GM needs to fix the team and shipping off a talented RHD isn't the way to start.  The return would have to pay immediate dividends.

I know I'm repeating what you posted, but my own feelzzz are getting the best of me.  The Sabres' bad moves trigger me more than anything else -- even if they are hypothetical bad moves that might never happen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Sabres schedule is out. A disappointing lack of Bills/Sabres weekends for us out-of-towners. 10/27-28 (Sun-Mon actually) , 11/2-11/3 and 12/27-12/29.

https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/308047524/binary-file/file.pdf

Nine back to backs with six in the first three months, none in Dec., none in Jan., two in Feb, and one in March. None of them with crazy travel involved (short hops) except for maybe our home and home vs. Tampa and they have the same disadvantage. For once, I’m not too irked about the back to backs.

So I got that goin’ for me.

EDIT: just noticed that our “home and home” with Tampa is are actually the two games we play in Sweden, so it’s even a little better than I though previously. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1