Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

Perhaps Dahlin’s worst game as a pro and yet he still found a way to help us offensively. 

Jack atoned in a big way after the gaffe in Columbus. 

This team has only been together for a month and the coaches are still trying to figure out what they have. Nice to be banking points in the meantime. 

Friday will be a test as the Panthers match up well against us and always give us fits. Onward and upward.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Easy dude.   I knows a bunch of people have engaged you unfairly.   No reason to be defensive. 

I don't consider anyone engaging me unfairly. They have their views and I have mine. What I have consistently said to some of my critics on this issue is that the primary remedy for this lagging franchise was to improve the roster, and that it was going to take time.  I believe that the GM has a good roadmap to address the roster, and that he was steadily implementing his plan. In my view he has especially done a stellar job this offseason to not only upgrade the roster but also maintain a good fiscal balance sheet to address future contracts. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Almost gave the game away as we let our foot off the gas.  Offense looks impressive.  Definitely need better goaltending.

More defense than goalkeeping. I mean Risto centered a pass right to Joel Armia on goal #2. They still have trouble in their end.

• Like (+1) 1

Some thoughts on this game. Jack was clearly the first star in this game.

Johansson is a tremendous addition. 

We may have the best PP in the league. 

I really liked the way the Okposo-Larsson-Gergs line played. 

The Millstadt line is currently a no impact line. 

Although Risto made one glaring mistake that cost us a goal he is a workhorse. 

Hutton played well enough for us to win. 

Montreal is a fast, gritty and swarming team. Too often this tenacious team kept us bottled up in our defensive zone. 

What a terrific start to the season!

• Like (+1) 2

Dahlin drop pass to no one and Oloffson abandoned his man to take the puck carrier already checked by Eichel. Horrible sequence on the short handed goal. 

Dahlin looks much stronger and playing with a little nastiness in his game this year. I guess he wasn’t kidding about being like Risto on his off-season workout videos.

Speaking of Risto he has played very well. I don’t fault him for the PP goal. He hit a stick trying to clear it and floated to Armia. I hope he’s having fun again playing in Buffalo because it would be a shame not to get anything out of an undeniably talented young defenseman.

The Power play is lethal. I want to see more 5 on 5 production.

Vesey- Middlestadt - ERod are a liability at best.

Can we do better than Sobotka with Skinner? It’s offensive. Krueger mercifully got the band back together at the end of the 2nd and Skinner almost buried one.

Hutton looks very steady. I thought he looked generally panicky last season. When he gave up one another goal wasn’t far behind.

Eichel 1 on 3 and buries one, are you kidding me?!? Filthy. His shot was dialed in tonight.

Tough bounce on Montreal’s third goal but why is Miller chasing his guy behind the net?  The goal is scored from where he was standing. He doesn’t get the puck and he’s not in position. Miller and Dahlin were shaky.

I love Girgensons effort. I hope he scores a goal again, as unlikely as that may be. Okposo too. I wish he was a faster skater. I forget Larsson is still on the team. Way to survive Larry!!.

Oloffson didn’t see the ice much or at all in the 3rd until the PP. Wonder what’s up with that? Krueger doesn’t trust the rookie late in close games?

By JOHN WAWROW

AP Hockey Writer

Rookie Victor Olofsson matched an NHL record in becoming the fourth NHL player to score his first six career goals on the power play. Jeff Skinner also scored and defenseman Rasmus Dahlin had two assists, while Carter Hutton stopped 23 shots and improved to 3-0.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

Casey Mittelstadt could use some time in the minors. Unfortunately, I wonder how serious the kid is about professional hockey. He is overmatched in the strength department and it appears he has done nothing to improve in that area since his zero pullups at the combine.

The below attached link is an article by Alan Pergament of the BN. He points out that Paul Hamilton wasn't on the road trips because of cost cutting by the parent company. This is an example of local news continue to being gutted because of corporate decisions. The business decision to buy up large sectors of the media and consolidate the holdings has created financial stress and the need to lower costs. 

There is an interesting question regarding the traveling media concept. Is it necessary? Can there be good coverage without being so closely attached to the team? In my opinion maybe in the short run the answer is yes but in the long run I would say no. 

https://buffalonews.com/2019/10/09/wgrs-paul-hamilton-no-longer-travels-with-sabres-sabres-opener-gets-strong-rating/?view=getnewpost

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The below attached link is an article by Alan Pergament of the BN. He points out that Paul Hamilton wasn't on the road trips because of cost cutting by the parent company. This is an example of local news continue to being gutted because of corporate decisions. The business decision to buy up large sectors of the media and consolidate the holdings has created financial stress and the need to lower costs. 

There is an interesting question regarding the traveling media concept. Is it necessary? Can there be good coverage without being so closely attached to the team? In my opinion maybe in the short run the answer is yes but in the long run I would say no. 

https://buffalonews.com/2019/10/09/wgrs-paul-hamilton-no-longer-travels-with-sabres-sabres-opener-gets-strong-rating/?view=getnewpost

Financial stress is all a product of having their entire business model disrupted.  The internet and cable TV have changed how people consume news media.

The decline of print media and local news has nothing to do with industry consolidation.   Local news is being gutted because the advertising dollars have gone elsewhere and general fragmentation of news into specialized publications.  If you want the best Sabres and Bills news you are NOT reading the local newspaper anymore.  

• Like (+1) 1

Jack had a really really good game last night.

But he needs to stop getting mugged/giving the puck away. He got beat up at the blue line in our offensive side again last night and they skated right down and scored on us....its happened in almost every game.  Love the offense, but take care of the puck Cap. 

32 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

Jack had a really really good game last night.

But he needs to stop getting mugged/giving the puck away. He got beat up at the blue line in our offensive side again last night and they skated right down and scored on us....its happened in almost every game.  Love the offense, but take care of the puck Cap. 

I love and hate that about his game.  He has the talent to come into the zone 1 on 3 make a few slick moves and score so you do not want to completely discourage him from being aggressive but the giveaways from holding the puck or trying to do too much are maddening.  I haven't noticed it as much this year.  I do recall him attempting identical ill fated horizontal passes two steps over the blue line in the offensive zone which were picked off and turned the other way.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Nice play by Eichel and that was some pretty bad goaltending.

I mean, it wasn't even like there was a wing coming in to receive a pass.  It was going to be a shot or nothing.

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Financial stress is all a product of having their entire business model disrupted.  The internet and cable TV have changed how people consume news media.

The decline of print media and local news has nothing to do with industry consolidation.   Local news is being gutted because the advertising dollars have gone elsewhere and general fragmentation of news into specialized publications.  If you want the best Sabres and Bills news you are NOT reading the local newspaper anymore.  

The local media from the Buffalo News, WGR radio, MSG and the local TV coverage more than adequately covers the hockey team. at least for me. Of course I can get additional coverage from other outlets such as NHL.com and network. However,  the local coverage focuses more on the home team than do those other outlets. 

As you noted the business model has changed in that particular business, and in all businesses for that matter. But not having Paul Hamiltion, the primary hockey guy for WGR, the station that covers the games, is disappointing. At least for me it is. 

1 hour ago, snafu said:

Nice play by Eichel and that was some pretty bad goaltending.

I mean, it wasn't even like there was a wing coming in to receive a pass.  It was going to be a shot or nothing.

He had Goaloffson on his right wing ready to take an easy drop pass, so he had options. I also think the goalie was screened. But any time the puck goes through the five hole wickets, it doesn’t look good for the goalie.

41 minutes ago, K-9 said:

He had Goaloffson on his right wing ready to take an easy drop pass, so he had options. I also think the goalie was screened. But any time the puck goes through the five hole wickets, it doesn’t look good for the goalie.

I'd also add that he probably wasn't expecting the shot.  Three defenders surrounding Eichel and he gets a shot off completely untouched.  I'm not going to give the goalie a free pass, but there's plenty of blame to go around on that one.

• Like (+1) 1

The below link is an article by Paul Hamilton for WGR. He points out how Colin Miller has been a mentor to Dahlin. He also makes reference to Krueger's comments about the quality of play of the Okposo-Larsson-Gergs line. 

An interesting issue the coach will soon face is whom to pair Montour with when he comes back? As of now I don't think that he is going to mess with the Miller/Dahlin pairing because of their early chemistry. I still believe that although Risto is playing well he will be dealt for a second-line forward to better balance out the roster. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-miller-has-become-mentor-rasmus-dahlin

• Like (+1) 1

I am anxious to see how Buffalo stacks up against Florida tonight. If they want any shot at the playoffs, these are the teams (Montreal, Florida) that they’re likely to be competing with. 

Personally, I think the playoffs are probably a long shot this year (though I have some hope). I think the season will be more about fixing what’s broken. But it’s still a good measuring stick.