Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

So your change of scenery blah blah blah was just superfluous?

I don't know what you are talking about. It was reported that he wanted out. If traded he doesn't have a say where he will go. The change of scenery is not superfluous to the story------- it is integral to the story. It's what he wants and supposedly told the organization. 

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

I was listening to WGR's Instigator show where they were discussing the rumor of trading Risto to Detroit for Anthony Mantha. He is a 25 year old winger who is 6'5", 225 lbs. Detroit desperately needs defensemen and we need to build a credible second line. I would make this deal. It would be good for Risto who needs a change of scenery to refresh his game and attitude. In our system we have a few defensemen, such as Borgland, who are close to being ready to move up and play in the NHL. I would gladly make this deal. 

I would appreciate the opinions of posters who are knowledgeable about this particular Detroit player. 

Did this seem semi-legit, or was it just banter between the guys?  Because I'd personally drive Risto to Detroit for a 25-goal winger.  

Edited by stony

2 minutes ago, stony said:

Did this seem semi-legit, or was it just banter between the guys?  Because I'd personally drive Risto to Detroit for a 25-goal winger.  

I think it was Marty Biron who brought it up. How legit is it? I can't say. There are also rumors that Winnipeg is interested in Risto. Some of the speculation is fueled by teams that need a defenseman and teams that after signing their free agents will have to move players to accommodate the signing/s. It shouldn't be surprising that a number of teams are interested in the defenseman. A while back Danny Gare who has contacts in Tampa said that the Lighting also have interest in him. The issue for the Sabres is what will they get back? As I said in the prior post if Detroit offered Mantha for Risto I would take it.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

I don't know what you are talking about. It was reported that he wanted out. If traded he doesn't have a say where he will go. The change of scenery is not superfluous to the story------- it is integral to the story. It's what he wants and supposedly told the organization. 

Well, you said “it would be good for Risto...” so it certainly seems to be something that’s on your mind. Next post you said “I’m not worried what the trade will do to his psyche.”

At best you seem conflicted with yourself.

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

I think it was Marty Biron who brought it up. How legit is it? I can't say. There are also rumors that Winnipeg is interested in Risto. Some of the speculation is fueled by teams that need a defenseman and teams that after signing their free agents will have to move players to accommodate the signing/s. It shouldn't be surprising that a number of teams are interested in the defenseman. A while back Danny Gare who has contacts in Tampa said that the Lighting also have interest in him. The issue for the Sabres is what will they get back? As I said in the prior post if Detroit offered Mantha for Risto I would take it.  

I'm betting there's something to the whole "RFAs" are holding everything up.  Gotta hope so.  

3 hours ago, stony said:

It came from Eklund at hockeybuzz -

https://hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Rumor-WingsSabres-Talking-Major-Trade-e4-Update-5-players-involved/1/101066

Not sure if you’re familiar with Eklund, but if not, he’s not a respected insider (to put it nicely). 

He just throws stuff at the wall daily. The whole premise of his site is new rumors daily/hourly. 24/7, 365. 

Today he is saying Risto to Edmonton -

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=101193&blogger_id=1

What he says is really not even worth paying attention to. I think he’s said that Ristolainen was going to be traded to about 5-6 different teams in the last few months alone. 

The base of this whole rumor came from Friedman (or Dreger, can’t remember) months ago when he mentioned that buffalo would be looking for a young top 6 forward for Risto and he used Mantha as an example, and stated that it was just an example and he hadn’t heard anything connecting Mantha to Buffalo.

Its not totally crazy. Yzerman was after Ristolainen when he was in Tampa, and Detroit needs RHD worse than Tampa did. So it wouldn’t shock me if it happened. I just put zero stock into Eklund saying it. 

I would be ok with a Risto for Mantha trade. I’m not as sold on Mantha as some others are. He is from the same draft as Ristolainen (2013) and only has 3 seasons in the NHL so far. He was trending toward bust status for a bit there, but made it to the NHL 3 seasons ago. Played pretty decent for his first 2 years (though there was, IMO, an issue with inconsistent play and inconsistent compete/effort level) and then he took a nice step forward last season and looks to finally be putting it all together. I’m just not 100% convinced that last year is who Mantha really is. He’s definitely trending in the right direction and is a legit top 6 forward right now. And it does seem to take power forwards more time to “get it”, so a slower development path for a player like Mantha isn’t unheard of, or even all that unusual I guess. Ideally, I’d like to see him prove it for 1 more season, but if he does then I doubt Detroit trades him (they may not even be willing to trade him now). 

If mantha was the best piece being offered for Ristolainen I would make the trade. Definitely wouldn’t be willing to add though. If anything, I’d want a pick with Mantha (just due to position value. Top 4, young RHD > top 6 winger) but if it had to be 1 for 1 I’d probably still do it. 

Only problem is Mantha would be yet another left handed forward. In a prefect world we trade Risto for a righty. But Mantha can (and does) play the right side so it’s really not that big a deal. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

I'm not worried about what a trade would do to his psyche. He doesn't have a say in it. He has a contract and it doesn't appear that he has a no trade clause or a preferred location clause.  It was reported by a number of outlets that he let it be known to the organization that he prefers to be elsewhere. I'm not critical of his stance. It certainly is understandable. 

Risto is a good player but also a dumb player. He has been subjected to constant losing in Buffalo and it has worn him down. Even if the team he is going to isn't the best situation for him it still would be a better situation than the stale situation that he is currently in. 

As I said in the prior post I would make this deal if it is offered. 

I thought we were on an upward trajectory.  Why can't a guy who is in the locker room every day see that?

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Well, you said “it would be good for Risto...” so it certainly seems to be something that’s on your mind. Next post you said “I’m not worried what the trade will do to his psyche.”

At best you seem conflicted with yourself.

I'm not trying to be rude but your reasoning doesn't make sense to me. Risto seems to desire a change of scenery, and I get the sense that the team is more than willing to move him if they can get a reasonable return. I did state that I'm not worried about his psyche. So what? The bigger issue for me is the return we can get from him if a deal is made that makes the team better. If a proposed Detroit deal is better deal than a proposed Winnipeg deal then the team should take the Detroit deal even if Risto prefers Winnipeg. That's the hockey business he signed up for. 

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm not trying to be rude but your reasoning doesn't make sense to me. Risto seems to desire a change of scenery, and I get the sense that the team is more than willing to move him if they can get a reasonable return. I did state that I'm not worried about his psyche. So what? The bigger issue for me is the return we can get from him if a deal is made that makes the team better. If a proposed Detroit deal is better deal than a proposed Winnipeg deal then the team should take the Detroit deal even if Risto prefers Winnipeg. That's the hockey business he signed up for. 

I’m simply trying to figure out what side of the fence you’re on today.

• Haha (+1) 1

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-okposo-impressed-ralph-krueger

Sabres' Okposo is impressed with Ralph Krueger

It seems like anytime you speak with one of the Sabres players, they’re pretty impressed with their new coach Ralph Krueger. What they’re impressed with is how he acts towards them.

Veteran winger Kyle Okposo was no different, “Just a phenomenal guy, I just went to dinner with him and a couple of the other guys and we may have talked hockey for 15-20 minutes out of two hours and we were picking his brain about his life and his experiences, but he’s just a really personable guy, genuine and an interesting guy.

“I’ve talked to a few guys that played for him in Edmonton and they had nothing but great things to say about him and how he treated them and just how he was as a person first and foremost and then as a coach second, so I think that speaks volumes of his character.”

He seems to be well respected by every Sabres player that’s been interviewed and IMO that’s a start. Anything that helps to get this team to really buy in is a good thing. 

10 hours ago, stony said:

I'm betting there's something to the whole "RFAs" are holding everything up.  Gotta hope so.  

I’m thinking the same. Especially where any potential deal with Winnipeg is concerned. Both Connor and Laine are in a holding pattern and their deals will have a big impact on the Jets’ salary cap moving forward so slotting Risto needs to wait.

My hope is that in order to slot Risto, they give us Ehlers to make it work. 

8 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-okposo-impressed-ralph-krueger

Sabres' Okposo is impressed with Ralph Krueger

He seems to be well respected by every Sabres player that’s been interviewed and IMO that’s a start. Anything that helps to get this team to really buy in is a good thing. 

Not surprised to hear this. In the first five minutes of his introductory press conference, Krueger displayed more mental capacity than Housley did in two years. 

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.tsn.ca/nhlpa-weighing-risks-of-poking-the-bear-1.1360531

NHLPA still undecided on whether or not they’ll choose to opt out of the current CBA. 

Really hoping they don’t but even if they do there is still time to get a deal done. 

Opting out would just start the clock on a potential lockout a year from now. 

Edited by BillsFan4

The attached link is an article about Asplund written by WGR's Paul Hamilton. This link was taken from the hockey side of TBD. One player who will be interesting to follow is Ruotsalainen who played in Finland and is a little older than most of the players playing in the prospect camp. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-asplund-ready-make-next-step?view=getnewpost

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

The attached link is an article about Asplund written by WGR's Paul Hamilton. This link was taken from the hockey side of TBD. One player who will be interesting to follow is Ruotsalainen who played in Finland and is a little older than most of the players playing in the prospect camp. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-asplund-ready-make-next-step?view=getnewpost

Lol the article says he is "very close" to being ready for an NHL roster which is funny enough given we seemingly drafted him when Rex Ryan seemed like a good idea.  

The funniest part is that the article says he will have to compete with a bunch of other guys that are almost NHL ready.  Sounds like in 4 years or so we'll be able get a few picks at the deadline by filling out the healthy scratch contingent for a playoff team with an injury prone 4th line guy the are worried about.  Upward trajectory indeed.

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Lol the article says he is "very close" to being ready for an NHL roster which is funny enough given we seemingly drafted him when Rex Ryan seemed like a good idea.  

The funniest part is that the article says he will have to compete with a bunch of other guys that are almost NHL ready.  Sounds like in 4 years or so we'll be able get a few picks at the deadline by filling out the healthy scratch contingent for a playoff team with an injury prone 4th line guy the are worried about.  Upward trajectory indeed.

You are the Scott Law of Sabres' posters. The team fumbled the rebuild, but they have a fair chance to be quite good in a few years. They are certainly not the worst team in all of sports.

Edited by Dr. Who

On 9/5/2019 at 8:00 AM, K-9 said:

Not surprised to hear this. In the first five minutes of his introductory press conference, Krueger displayed more mental capacity than Housley did in two years. 

My biggest surprise reading that was in realizing Okposo is still on the roster.