Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

1 hour ago, JoeF said:

Last year at this time, I thought the Canes would be dog****...Aho and Slavin both take a huge step; Williams leads as only Williams can; Mrazek plays lights out and its a conference finals team. The Canes team didn't gel until February....the Sabres have the talent to take this kind of quick step.

So, are you suggesting that Sabres add Williams?

28 minutes ago, GG said:

So, are you suggesting that Sabres add Williams?

I would love that, but I never thought about it as a possibility. Even a year with him on the team would have immeasurable benefit in my view.  However, I don't think he would see the Sabres as a mature enough squad to contend and I speculate that he either wants to be in Carolina or play for the Cup. 

Williams is pretty embedded here in Raleigh.  I think its like a Kyle Williams thing but add that he lives here full-time and his wife is a teacher with a job she loves. I think if he plays next year, its in Carolina. 

He is still the hardest worker on the squad in Carolina (next to Brind'Amour who is in the weight room every day by about 5:30 AM).  He is always in position to do damage.  Still has the skills to play on all the specials.  Yea, he's lost some juice but man I admire the guy's skills.

Edited by JoeF

I have to admit I was excited when heard Bott say he was going to make an effort to improve our 2nd line. I even liked the trade for Miller and Vesey but all these Rochester signings are angering me as when we still need help on the 2nd line. I didn't think we'd get Duchense but heck I would have welcomed Simmonds or made an offer on RFA if needed. I'm sure hoping we do something by the end of this evening or am ready to give up hope again. As it's feeling like Darcy Regier all over again!!!

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I actually think it helps up risto’s trade value. 

I can’t really speak to the fancy stats. I haven’t looked at them (and I don’t put a ton of weight of fancy stats anyway, especially risto’s). 

Thanks for the reply..really good writup.

In terms of the above..think that is really the issue. The GMs who use shot share and the other advanced numbers will stay away from Risto like the plague..those who rely on more traditional eye test will value him..

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoeF said:

The Sabres are banking on improvement of their young core -- Dahlin, Casey, Jack, Sam, Olofsson, Cozens and adding "locked up for the long term" 26 and under players to that core--Miller (26); Vesey (26); Montour (25) ...its not that hard to see the plan. 

This is not necessarily a win now strategy but if these young players have "above average" progression this is a team built for the long-haul.

Skinner (27 but under contract for the rest of his peak years) now has to lead.  He has never been in that position before but I think he can do it.  He has to be the vocal guy with Jack and they both have to be directing the team the same way.  Ralph is better positioned to make this happen than the previous two coaching regimes.  He can take a young team and get more out of them and hold them accountable--particularly those relied upon to lead.

I am not brimming with confidence by any stretch of the imagination -- but I do see a plan and splashy moves are not part of the plan....splashy moves are locking up the young core for the long term. 

Last year at this time, I thought the Canes would be dog****...Aho and Slavin both take a huge step; Williams leads as only Williams can; Mrazek plays lights out and its a conference finals team. The Canes team didn't gel until February....the Sabres have the talent to take this kind of quick step.

Excellent analysis. The heart and soul of the GM's strategy is player development rather than big splash signings. (As you noted.) Last year, Botts traded for Skinner, traded for Montour during the season and signed Pilot as a free agent. So far this offseason Miller more than Vesey is the most prominent pickup. I still expect another pickup or two will be added to the roster.  I don't think that Cozens will be on the roster because the GM wants his younger players to get a lot more playing time. Two players who will need to make strides and solidify their status are Nylander and Tage.  What people forget about them is that they are only 20-21 years old. So there is more room for growth. 

Are the Sabres a playoff team? Probably not. But that doesn't mean that they won't be a better and more entertaining team. 

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’m officially confused (I know, I know). This is the first I’ve heard that Dylan Cozens was slated to play NCAA hockey. 

He’s not.  I was freaking confusing him with Johnson.  I am a dumbass.  I am confused not you k-9

Edited by JoeF
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JoeF said:

He’s not.  I was freaking confusing him with Johnson.  I am a dumbass.  I am confused not you k-9

I was confused to begin with and then you made me even more confused. Thanks pal. :)

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I was confused to begin with and then you made me even more confused. Thanks pal. :)

Its hell getting old man......... When I start wearing my underwear outside my pants, I'll let you all know....

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Its hell getting old man......... When I start wearing my underwear outside my pants, I'll let you all know....

There's a simple solution for making the mistake of wearing your underwear as if they are outerwear. Just don't wear any at all and give the jewels the freedom to roam. :)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Well, that clears up my confusion on this issue, but rest assured, I am still a confused individual. But thanks for clearing it up, anyway, Joe.