Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

3 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

it is however the Team President defines it.  Someone like Rick Dudley has been involved in numerous organizations and has seen success nearly everywhere he has been.  It is reasonable to think he knows a good structure and delegation of duties... and would also be able to hire management personnel with the same philosophies.

For example, right now he is VP of Hockey Ops with the Hurricanes.  Waddell is their president and GM.  Carolina got serious with management and suddenly they are run well and are a playoff team.  There arent blood feuds over trades and draft picks.  It works.  These things work in many organizations who are run much better than the Sabres.

We have potatohead Jason Botterill with nothing around him, save Kim Pegula who is officially team president. 

I see what you're saying, but if we had a good GM, that would be enough.  Maybe if there are two people with similar duties then the hope is that at least one isn't a dope............With the Bills, I don't even know if there is a president anymore (Terrry?  Kim?)   I just know that the buck stops with Beane.  

25 minutes ago, GG said:

He probably wouldn't have squandered the assets he built up for the tank.

No way he would.  He was very calculating.  I could buy that he would have done excellent.

They did need new eyes though.  The Ron Rolston hire for an NHL team was cringeworthy.  

Another problem is, pegula let regier choose a path, then changed his mind, fired him, the lafontaine thing, murray, housley, etc.  Just a lot of bad hires and half measure changes during the course of a deep cutting rebuild.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, suorangefan4 said:

Man.. just moved into the 7th overall pick and now it's back to 10th. :censored:

F draft position. I know they’re not making the playoffs but I still want to see them finish out the season strong. Another collapse does no good, and things may get really ugly. 

I just feel like learning how to win down the stretch when games get tougher is a lot more beneficial to this team than another top 7 pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

F draft position. I know they’re not making the playoffs but I still want to see them finish out the season strong. Another collapse does no good, and things may get really ugly. 

I just feel like learning how to win down the stretch when games get tougher is a lot more beneficial to this team than another top 7 pick. 

Ideally they play well enough to keep Krueger but not leave the false impression that Botts deserves more time.  We can't afford another offseason from a guy who thinks Vesey/Sheary/Mittlestadt/Johanssen/Frolik are part of any solution to anything.

12 hours ago, K-9 said:

I know I rag on Hutton mercilessly at times, but he’s turned in back to back decent performances and I gotta give him props for that.

The Sabres certainly are not a complete team. That's blatantly obvious to anyone who watches the games. But when they get good goal tending they can compete and win, even against the better teams. 

Over the past couple to few years a solid defensive corps has been assembled. This unit will get better in the near future with the younger players such as Dahlin, Joki and Pilut getting better. Compare what we have now to what we had a few years ago? No question it is a dramatic upgrade. 

With Jack as the anchor we do have a credible first line unit with Reinhart and Olofsson as supporting members. The main problem on this team is that there is a gaping hole on the second line. The only player who is a second-line caliber player is Skinner. And to a large extent his scoring talents are being extinguished because he is playing with players who are not close to being second-line talents. 

Half this roster is on the last year of their contracts. Will the GM be able to swing trade deals for a couple of impacting players with teams that are cap stressed? I'm hoping so, and expect so. While there is a lot of lamenting that the GM has screwed the cap and left this organization in a cap bind this year they miss the point on what the situation actually is with their short term perspective. The GM deliberately decided to go with many one year contracts this year with the intention of giving us flexibility the following year/s. He is doing exactly what McBeane did with their cap strategy a year ago thus giving them the cap flexibility to acquire players the following year. The issue comes down to whether he can take advantage of his good cap situation. 

I'm not down on this team. I know what they are. Their scoring limitations are on exhibit every night. What I don't want to see happen is that out of fan and organizational frustrations this front office makes short term deals at the expense from making better deals this next offseason.  

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Krueger is a lot tougher of a coach than Housley ever was. He is not going to tolerate loose play by disinterested players. His system/philosophy is predicated on the defense leading to the offense. Anyone who quits and lags in his responsibilities will be soon be watching the games from the team suite. 

This year there is an emphasis on installing his system. Hopefully, next year there will be a few additions to bolster the roster and give him a better chance to succeed. Botterill is the GM with the primary responsibility in putting together the roster. However, I have little doubt that Krueger in collaboration with the GM will have much to say in who is kept and who he is moved.. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Ah yes, the I want them to "learn how to win" statement.

Did they learn how to win when they won 10 straight games last year? Or when they started 9-2-1 this year? 

Talent wins. And usually better players go around the top 6 picks or so. I want to get in the rang where we can get a dynamic skater like Stutzle or Rossi. Like I've said before add them to Cozens and hopefully the depth and skating puts us into the upper echelon.