Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

anyone needs a kick in the nuts, No Goal is on NHL Network. Good the hear Gary Thorne again..man how did we watch hockey in SD???

I’ll get to that right after I’m done watching the wide right, homerun throwback double feature. I have to keep telling myself, “it’s on,y a movie, it’s only a movie, it’s only a movie.” 

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’ll get to that right after I’m done watching the wide right, homerun throwback double feature. I have to keep telling myself, “it’s on,y a movie, it’s only a movie, it’s only a movie.” 

You'll love the 90 minute interview with Jay McKee’s shin guard. 

• Haha (+1) 2

So it looks like the Sabres and ERod went through with the arbitration hearing. They can still come to an agreement before the arbitrator rules. 

Hopefully whatever happens it doesn't sour the relationship between him and the team. But I’m not going to lose sleep over it if it does. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

So it looks like the Sabres and ERod went through with the arbitration hearing. They can still come to an agreement before the arbitrator rules. 

Hopefully whatever happens it doesn't sour the relationship between him and the team. But I’m not going to lose sleep over it if it does. 

I’m not losing any sleep, either. As much as we like ERod and some other players, the simple fact is they are readily replaceable, non impact role fillers and little more. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, K-9 said:

I’m not losing any sleep, either. As much as we like ERod and some other players, the simple fact is they are readily replaceable, non impact role fillers and little more. 

I could be wrong, but I always viewed ERod as the team throwing a bone to Jack.  He's been a pleasant surprise, but like you said, replaceable.  

40 minutes ago, stony said:

I could be wrong, but I always viewed ERod as the team throwing a bone to Jack.  He's been a pleasant surprise, but like you said, replaceable.  

They signed him before they drafted Eichel.  Granted at that point they did know he would be their draft pick, but I'd say it's a bit of a stretch to think they would have done it for him at that point.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, shrader said:

They signed him before they drafted Eichel.  Granted at that point they did know he would be their draft pick, but I'd say it's a bit of a stretch to think they would have done it for him at that point.

I thought they did too..but i really like Erod. I view him as the kind of guy you need on the 3rd line to be successful, I was hoping for a 3 year, $2.25..who says no to that deal? Sabres or Erod?

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

I thought they did too..but i really like Erod. I view him as the kind of guy you need on the 3rd line to be successful, I was hoping for a 3 year, $2.25..who says no to that deal? Sabres or Erod?

I think Erod would have rejected that.  At this point he's going to want a deal that takes him to UFA status.  I'm too lazy to dig up the specifics, but that's either a 1 or 2 year deal.  But regardless, this far removed from the hearing, they're past the point of negotiation, so really, no one is going to say yes or no to that deal.

Edited by shrader
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

I think Erod would have rejected that.  At this point he's going to want a deal that takes him to RFA status.  I'm too lazy to dig up the specifics, but that's either a 1 or 2 year deal.  But regardless, this far removed from the hearing, they're past the point of negotiation, so really, no one is going to say yes or no to that deal.

did you mean UFA?  I am really not sure how these things work when they sign the ELC as a free agent out of college. Same thing as if they sign before they graduate?

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

did you mean UFA?  I am really not sure how these things work when they sign the ELC as a free agent out of college. Same thing as if they sign before they graduate?

Oops.  Yeah, I went back and fixed that. 

For the majority of players, it's 27 years old or 7 years of service, whatever comes first.  There are some other ways to get there, but they're fairly rare (Danny O'Regan this year).  So for those college free agents who sign at an older age, it winds up being that 27 year old mark.

• Thank you (+1) 1

https://www.nhl.com/news/sabres-forward-casey-mittelstadt-pleased-with-roster-additions/c-308239878?tid=277567768

Mittelstadt pleased with new-look Sabres

Buffalo also retained Jeff Skinner, who could have become an unrestricted free agent. The forward signed an eight-year, $72 million contract (average annual value $9 million) June 7 after he scored an NHL career-high 40 goals and tied a personal best with 63 points.

"I think it all started with getting (Skinner) back," said Mittelstadt, a 20-year-old forward who had 25 points (12 goals, 13 assists) in 77 games. "That's huge for me, especially since he's taught me so much and kind of has taken me under his wing..... 

I guess now we see why Casey thanked Skinner (on Instagram iirc) after he re-signed with the Sabres. Sheary thanked him too. I found that interesting. I can’t really remember seeing that happen too often (but maybe I just haven’t paid close enough attention...). 

1 hour ago, stony said:

So it's official.  1-year, $2M.  Arbitrator's ruling.  

Seems kind of dumb that they didn’t settle at $2M x 1yr before the arbitration hearing seeing as the ruling landed exactly where pretty much everyone expected it to land when it came out that the Sabres were at $1.5M and ERod at $2.65M.

Also, Im guessing the reason that the Sabres chose a 1 year term is that he is a UFA in 2 years time. 

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

see above..arbitrator needs to pick on or tother, this was a negotiated deal 

The arbitrator can pick whatever amount he wants. I believe you are thinking of baseball where iirc the arbitrator picks one of the 2 offers. But in NHL arbitration the arbitrator sets whatever amount he feels is right. 

The sabres press release even says it was the arbitrators ruling -

The terms of the contract were based on the ruling of an independent arbitrator.

Because ERod is the one who filed, the Sabres got to pick the term -> 1 or 2 years. 

And the Sabres could only walk away from the ruling if the arbitrator set a salary above $4 or $4.5M (or something like that). 

Edit - here’s a link explaining the NHL arbitration process if you’re interested 

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2019/07/06/nhl-salary-arbitration-rules-faq-aston-reese-tlh/

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Seems kind of dumb that they didn’t settle at $2M x 1yr before the arbitration hearing seeing as the ruling landed exactly where pretty much everyone expected it to land when it came out that the Sabres were at $1.5M and ERod at $2.65M.

Also, Im guessing the reason that the Sabres chose a 1 year term is that he is a UFA in 2 years time. 

Sabres are super tight with the cap at just a hair over $3.1m of room and they still have a couple guys to sign like McCabe and Ullmark so perhaps they were hoping for a lower amount to be awarded. That half million is significant when you’re up against the cap. 

Methinks JBotts will be making some moves very soon. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Sabres are super tight with the cap at just a hair over $3.1m of room and they still have a couple guys to sign like McCabe and Ullmark so perhaps they were hoping for a lower amount to be awarded. That half million is significant when you’re up against the cap. 

Methinks JBotts will be making some moves very soon. 

Good point. I forgot how close to the cap they are after signing MoJo. 

The below link is a Buffalo News article somewhat about Skinner and the additions to the roster. The article didn't offer anything new. It was noted that the additions were added without much cost. An interesting issue for this team is whether to keep the top line in tact or split it up to bolster the second line. My preference is to keep this superlative line in tact and do your best to cobble a respectable second line together. Hopefully, there will be more secondary scoring from the lower lines.

As others have pointed out the main issue of interest for this offseason is whether there will be a Risto deal or other deals. I would love to see some genuine second line talent added to the second line. We shall see.  

https://buffalonews.com/2019/07/25/buffalo-sabres-jeff-skinner-jimmy-vesey-smashfest-toronto-nhl-news-2019/

15 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

The arbitrator can pick whatever amount he wants. I believe you are thinking of baseball where iirc the arbitrator picks one of the 2 offers. But in NHL arbitration the arbitrator sets whatever amount he feels is right. 

The sabres press release even says it was the arbitrators ruling -

Because ERod is the one who filed, the Sabres got to pick the term -> 1 or 2 years. 

And the Sabres could only walk away from the ruling if the arbitrator set a salary above $4 or $4.5M (or something like that). 

Edit - here’s a link explaining the NHL arbitration process if you’re interested 

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2019/07/06/nhl-salary-arbitration-rules-faq-aston-reese-tlh/

did we not always learn it had to be one or the other?  i am just getting old i guess!

• Haha (+1) 1