Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...sure sounds reasonable....despite other issues and refocusing, Robyn fared better with the Isles......surprised that they let him walk and he signed a one year deal with Chicago.......

Our partial seasons in Carolina are right behind the goal where the Sabres shoot twice ...but the one period where the Sabres goalie has been in front of us was pretty educational.  A relatively smallish rookie #1 draft choice was the guy most willing to mix it up last year.  6'3" Zach Bogosian was less than impressive.....

6 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Our partial seasons in Carolina are right behind the goal where the Sabres shoot twice ...but the one period where the Sabres goalie has been in front of us was pretty educational.  A relatively smallish rookie #1 draft choice was the guy most willing to mix it up last year.  6'3" Zach Bogosian was less than impressive.....

.....thank you for sharing....interesting.......:thumbsup:....didn't they just draft some 6'6" goalie?...sound more like a Verizon cell tower............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....thank you for sharing....interesting.......:thumbsup:

One more important aspect is that our puck handling in our own zone is also less than impressive.  Just lots of minor things that make the difference between an undisciplined lower tier team and a playoff team. I really do believe the Sabres have the talent to be a playoff team. They just don’t take care of business.

1 minute ago, JoeF said:

One more important aspect is that our puck handling in our own zone is also less than impressive.  Just lots of minor things that make the difference between an undisciplined lower tier team and a playoff team. I really do believe the Sabres have the talent to be a playoff team. They just don’t take care of business.

....and I thought Housley could fix that.......woefully wrong.....thought he had earned his stripes with Preds and Team USA with a proud career in Bflo...we'll never know if Pegs was influenced by Phil's Sabres lore as he was with LaFontaine who flew the coop with the Miller trade....

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’ll take it!

Very nice signing,, right AAV  and right term 

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...sure sounds reasonable....despite other issues and refocusing, Robyn fared better with the Isles......surprised that they let him walk and he signed a one year deal with Chicago.......

Faced least amount of shots per 60 and least amount of dangerous chances in the NHL. I believe., but that’s going off memory. Not saying he did not have a good year, but I am sure the belief is plug any halfway decent goalie in the net and they will be okay. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoeF said:

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...what is your current assessment of goalie situation?......

Agree on the sloppy play in our own zone, in general. Lots of dumb mistakes.

and on on clearing the front of the net. 

I think another things that been a HUGE factor are the systems (or lack there of), as well as being terrible at limiting high danger scoring chances. 

Nolan pretty much had no discernible system. 

Bylsma’s system relied on long stretch passes by our defenseman and we had none capable of doing it (plus, teams have really learned how to counter it in recent years).

and housley played a man on man coverage system that was awful. All the puck carrier had to do is circle the o zone and the Sabres players would either lose their man or cover the wrong guy. It constantly led to guys standing wide open in front of the net. 

There has been WAY too much chaos in our own zone these last # of years. Goalies need to know what their guys (especially the defenseman) are going to do so they can play the right angles and know when to be aggressive and when to be more conservative. But since the Sabres has little to no structure, it left the goalies guessing way too much. 

If theres one thing krueger has shown, its that he can install a good defensive structure. 

Also, I really question Andrew Allen (our ex-goalie coach). The longer he worked with our goalies, the worse they seemed to get.

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Faced least amount of shots per 60 and least amount of dangerous chances in the NHL. I believe., but that’s going off memory. Not saying he did not have a good year, but I am sure the belief is plug any halfway decent goalie in the net and they will be okay. 

His goalie partner (a career backup) also put up pretty much the same numbers as Lehner.

IMO Barry Trotz’s system had a huge impact on the NYI goaltending.

Having Mitch Korn as your goalie coach also helps. He’s a legend. 

Lehner had a great year, don’t get me wrong.

But Ill be curious to see how he does in Chicago. They are not nearly as structured as they once were. Jeremy Colliton has them playing a much more open game than Q did. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Let’s see how that classless A hole likes playing behind that Chicago D and their second most goals against. I hope he gets peppered to the point of shell shock. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’ll take it!

The three signings this offseason are all solid players who are two way responsible players. I wouldn't be surprised if we sign another player or two from teams that are cap stressed. It's not about the glitz and flash as it is about playing a harder and more physical game. This offseason is about changing from being soft and loose to playing a harder and tighter game. I like how the GM is handling the offseason. He isn't pulling a Murray and forcing things. He's waiting for opportunities and then seizing on them. 

• Like (+1) 1

this is the tweet Zadorov sent out after signing his new 1 year deal with the Avalanche. 

Pretty sure that’s from the game where Zadorov got away with this hit to Eichel’s head and Eichel retaliated and got suspended 2 games. 

10 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

As I was watching this, I think I felt it move.

17 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

this is the tweet Zadorov sent out after signing his new 1 year deal with the Avalanche. 

Pretty sure that’s from the game where Zadorov got away with this hit to Eichel’s head and Eichel retaliated and got suspended 2 games. 

Yep, that's the one. And if you look at the sleeve of the Sabres player in the background, you'll know that's Casey "The Pusillanimous Wonder" Nelson watching the whole thing happen. 

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

As I was watching this, I think I felt it move.

Yep, that's the one. And if you look at the sleeve of the Sabres player in the background, you'll know that's Casey "The Pusillanimous Wonder" Nelson watching the whole thing happen. 

Casey Nelson claims that he was screened from the play and didn't witness the hit. The coached talked to him about the play and sat him out the next game. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  The Sabres were well known within the league as a soft team that could be taken advantaged of. And they were. It's not surprising that the three acquisitions this offseason are known for their gritty play. Obviously, the team softness is being addressed. 

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-casey-nelson-bothered-by-response-to-hit-on-jack-eichel/

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Casey Nelson claims that he was screened from the play and didn't witness the hit. The coached talked to him about the play and sat him out the next game. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  The Sabres were well known within the league as a soft team that could be taken advantaged of. And they were. It's not surprising that the three acquisitions this offseason are known for their gritty play. Obviously, the team softness is being addressed. 

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-casey-nelson-bothered-by-response-to-hit-on-jack-eichel/

Let’s hope that’s the case. We let Skinner get run by Yandle last season without a response as well. Teams simply can’t be allowed to take liberties with your star players. Nothing divides a locker room faster, too. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

The three signings this offseason are all solid players who are two way responsible players. I wouldn't be surprised if we sign another player or two from teams that are cap stressed. It's not about the glitz and flash as it is about playing a harder and more physical game. This offseason is about changing from being soft and loose to playing a harder and tighter game. I like how the GM is handling the offseason. He isn't pulling a Murray and forcing things. He's waiting for opportunities and then seizing on them. 

5 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

"Funny" to see these two posted back to back.  Hopefully @JohnC is correct and the team is harder and more physical.  If that were the case last season then Zadorov's hit might not have ever happened & if if did Eichel wouldn't have been the one to retaliate. 

25 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

"Funny" to see these two posted back to back.  Hopefully @JohnC is correct and the team is harder and more physical.  If that were the case last season then Zadorov's hit might not have ever happened & if if did Eichel wouldn't have been the one to retaliate. 

A Zadorov type hit periodically happens. That's part of the game. The issue is how do you respond to that type of thuggery. The only player that I recall consistently standing up for his teammates was Bogosian. In my eyes the makeup of the team was the real problem associated with their soft style of play.  As you also noted the players added to the roster are tougher and more physical. Getting the right mix of players should address the issue of our players being able to better handle themselves when the game gets physical, as it inevitably does. 

Edited by JohnC
addition

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

A Zadorov type hit periodically happens. That's part of the game. The issue is how do you respond to that type of thuggery. The only player that I recall consistently standing up for his teammates was Bogosian. In my eyes the makeup of the team was the real problem associated with their soft style of play.  As you also noted the players added to the roster are tougher and more physical. Getting the right mix of players should address the issue of our players being able to better handle themselves when the game gets physical, as it inevitably does. 

Sam stood for Eichel on this one, and Housley sat Nelson for a game( maybe 2) for not responding to something he didn’t see.... and Nelson’s game pooped the bed the rest of the season.  

We may look look back at Housley and put him on the Mount Rushmore of Worst Coaches in Buffalo Sports history. Two consecutive last place finishes with teams designed to win, drove ROR out of town, possible ruined the confidence of two promising d-men in Pilut and Nelson, started Sabotka in OTs instead of Skinner, have Sabotka, possible the worst player in the NHL  last season , get top 4 minutes. 

Might start on thread on this Lol

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

Of course it periodically happens, it's hockey.