Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

29 minutes ago, shrader said:

It's interesting too because there really isn't any other comparable among the other sports (granted, I don't know how soccer handles things).  MLB is the only other one with a big international mix to their player base, but they non-US guys aren't included in the draft.  It's a shame that they probably will never truly get a meaningful world championship format established because it's one sport where there could really be an international market for it.

I have said it before.... but I think that in the next 10-20 years we see a dominant European league form/take hold that can compete with the NHL compensation levels, while holding an advantage in attracting/retaining European talent.  Perhaps 5-10 years after that, we could see inter-league/inter-continent play, along with cool things like mid-season "Cup" tournaments and such.  There could be a final series of each champion, who knows.  This thing could/should evolve into a true global league

The only advantage the NHL/hockey has over the other 3 major North American leagues and sports is that it is truly an international game (yes, Im aware of baseball's popularity in latin america, japan, and korea)...

The IIHF World Championships work on a neat relegation/promotion system with 4-8 tiers.  The lowest tier has teams from Turkey and South Africa... and a new lowest tier is added for next year with Kuwait and Malaysia.

The NHL games played in Europe are all well and good.... but Im not sure it really accomplishes much.  The NHL has been on this European initiative since the mid 90s and has just sat on the fence.  

Edited by May Day 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The below link is a WGR interview with Mike Morreale talking about the prospects. This is a 15 minute segment. He talks glowingly about Cole Caulfield. He's on my wish list. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/06-03-mike-morreale-nhlcom-howard-and-jeremy

I gotta believe if he’s there and Turcotte is gone as expected, he’s gonna be our pick. 

Somebody in the twitterverse (I forget who) suggested we might be trying to trade up for Turcotte. While I wouldn’t be against that, depending on the nature of the deal, I’d be surprised if JBotts moved up knowing he’s gonna get a good player at 7 regardless.

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I gotta believe if he’s there and Turcotte is gone as expected, he’s gonna be our pick. 

Somebody in the twitterverse (I forget who) suggested we might be trying to trade up for Turcotte. While I wouldn’t be against that, depending on the nature of the deal, I’d be surprised if JBotts moved up knowing he’s gonna get a good player at 7 regardless.

I agree with you that I don't see Botts trading up. My fear is that it is not unusual for a player such as Caulfield to become more appealing as the draft approaches. Because of the success and dynamism of some of the small statured players a player such as Caulfield might go even sooner than we thought. Caulfield would certainly bring some excitement to a very bland  team. What also adds to his attractiveness is that he has an engaging personality that the fans would embrace. I love Reinhart as a player. As a personality he is a bore. 

11 hours ago, K-9 said:

Perhaps JBotts could have suspected that, given Berglund’s agent’s huge screwup with the no trade clause list of teams, that he, Berglund, might have some initial reluctance. 

JBotts has every right to assume a 10 year pro veteran in the league would have the character to give his best effort, regardless. 

I can’t blame JBotts for not having the ability to look inside a player to see his true character. That’s on Berglund. 100%. 

Most on Berglund for sure but Bott's needs to protect the Sabres interests, which he did not.  In addition, and it's too late now but St. Louis is not a team that he should ever do business with again.  They are the ones who screwed both the Sabres and Berglund.  Why he had bad things to say about the Sabres in that article but left the Blues out of it is curious.

I have a few guys I really like at 7 this year.

I would be very happy with Podkolzin, Zegras, Caufield or Dach. I like Cozens too, but not as much (I’ve viewed him the least, though). I can find reasons to get excited about any of those 5. 

I would take Turcotte or Byram over any of them, but I highly doubt either will be there. 

I think buffalo may may go with a center over a winger (depending on who’s available), but that’s just a guess. 

This year in particular I am really trying my best not to get too high or low on any of the players potentially available at 7. This draft just feels so unpredictable. The cluster of players available after the top 2 are all viewed so similarly that I really have no clue what order they will go in, or what direction Buffalo will go in. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I have a few guys I really like at 7 this year.

I would be very happy with Podkolzin, Zegras, Caufield or Dach. I like Cozens too, but not as much (I’ve viewed him the least, though). I can find reasons to get excited about any of those 5. 

I would take Turcotte or Byram over any of them, but I highly doubt either will be there. 

I think buffalo may may go with a center over a winger (depending on who’s available), but that’s just a guess. 

This year in particular I am really trying my best not to get too high or low on any of the players potentially available at 7. This draft just feels so unpredictable. The cluster of players available after the top 2 are all viewed so similarly that I really have no clue what order they will go in, or what direction Buffalo will go in. 

The player we are going to get at the seven spot is going to be a good prospect but not offer immediate help. That's fine. If there is a player more ready to play in the NHL compared to a prospect who has a more long term upside I would rather take the longer term player. The player that find I most compelling minus the top three or four players is Caulfield. K-9 may be the driver on the bus for him but I am the backseat driver yelling which way to turn. 

An interesting question about this upcoming draft is what will the GM do with its low first round pick? Will he parlay it in a deal for some immediate holp or continue to feed the system for the long haul? 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

What day is Skinner free to sign with another team?  Are there target free agents to directly replace him or will Tony Robbins have to work miracles?

It's always July 1st for the start of free agency.  They have a day or two window before that now where the player is allowed to talk with other teams, but I'm too lazy to look up the specifics on that.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

The player we are going to get at the seven spot is going to be a good prospect but not offer immediate help. That's fine. If there is a player more ready to play in the NHL compared to a prospect who has a more long term upside I would rather take the longer term player. The player that find I most compelling minus the top three or four players is Caulfield. K-9 may be the driver on the bus for him but I am the backseat driver yelling which way to turn. 

An interesting question about this upcoming draft is what will the GM do with its low first round pick? Will he parlay it in a deal for some immediate holp or continue to feed the system for the long haul? 

Don’t make me stop this car!

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Don’t make me stop this car!

Oh boy, I am in trouble. The driver thinks he is driving a car when he is steering a bus. For my safety and well-being can I get off at the next stop. :D

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Oh boy, I am in trouble. The driver thinks he is driving a car when he is steering a bus. For my safety and well-being can I get off at the next stop. :D

Oh no, it’s a car alright. And you need to read the comment in the voice of any father who ever took his kids for a long drive. 

Too late for safety. This car is careening out of control!

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Oh no, it’s a car alright. And you need to read the comment in the voice of any father who ever took his kids for a long drive. 

Too late for safety. This car is careening out of control!

Would you be so kind as to replace me as a passenger with Plezmd1. He's already irrevocably traumatized so the outcome shouldn't make any difference. :ph34r:

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Would you be so kind as to replace me as a passenger with Plezmd1. He's already irrevocably traumatized so the outcome shouldn't make any difference. :ph34r:

Sorry, but @plenzmd1 was the drunk driver I pushed to the passenger side front seat so I could take over. He’s currently sleeping it off, blissfully unaware of the now careening vehicle. 

• Haha (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Sorry, but @plenzmd1 was the drunk driver I pushed to the passenger side front seat so I could take over. He’s currently sleeping it off, blissfully unaware of the now careening vehicle. 

You are more gentle and considerate than I am. I would have pushed him out the door so he wouldn't vomit in the car and stain my clothes. There is nothing more rancid than the smell of alcohol vomit. :ph34r:

11 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

The way the Sabres have been managed for the last few years is pretty rancid.

Simple solution to your revulsion toward the team: Ignore them. I'm confident that they would survive without your support. :)

I think the pick could be Trevor Zegras. He’s a center who skates well, plays a 2 way game, has high compete level and he’s headed to Boston University next year. 

He is also the only player the Sabres have met with twice. They had a private interview at the combine and took him out to dinner (I am not sure if they’ve taken any other player out to dinner? Not that i’m award of but I haven’t heard much about any prospect). Could just be they wanted info on teammates, who knows. 

As as I said before, I am lucky this year because I like a cluster of players likely to be available to Buffalo. But if I was forced to make a list right now.... 

I want Byram #1, Turcotte #1A but I know both will be gone. Then I’d want some combo of Zegras/Dach/Podkolzin flowed very closely by Caufield and then Cozens. 

I am still trying to study up on all these guys, so I reserve the right to change my mind! lol 

The reason i’d prefer a Center is #1) it gives buffalo a legit backup plan for Mittelstadt. #2) you can always switch a center to wing. If a C fails at C in the NHL, you can move him to the wing. If a winger fails, you can’t really try him in a different position.

#3) As far as positional value, I would go with a center over a wing, all things equal. 

I could definitely see Caufield shooting up the Sabres list if Skinner walks, though. 

He reminds me quite a bit of a right handed Jeff Skinner.

Smaller stature, feisty, pure goal scorers/snipers that are both very good on their edges (and at avoiding contact), and both have those happy-go-lucky, always smiling personalities. I mean... If they feel Caufield is the BPA, they should pick him no matter what. I just mean that if it’s a tie between Caufield and a center, I could see skinner’s decision (to sign or not) factoring in. 

• Like (+1) 1