Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

This is a 16 minute segment with Jeremy Roenick on WGR's the Instigator Show. His comments about some of the added players were interesting. The best part of his commentary was at the end of the segment where he criticized LeBron James for his cowardly and hypocritical comments about China. Roenick is a straight shooter. Nuance is not part of his vocabulary. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/10-16-nbc-sports-jeremy-roenick-instigators

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Reinhart isn't a scintillating player but he is a critical player. His value is not measured by his stats. I would be willing to consider giving up Risto for Hall but not Reinhart. However, more and more I am moving toward keeping Risto unless the offer is so overwhelming in our favor. The problem with giving up a rugged player such as Risto is that what he offers as a player is not likely to be replaced.. 

Taylor Hall for Risto would be overwhelmingly in our favor. 

Edited by K-9

14 minutes ago, K-9 said:

For a talent standpoint I agree. However, he is a free agent and I'm not willing to take the risk of giving up Risto for a one year rental. I don't believe that he is going to give up his free agent status for us. I don't believe that this is a Skinner type situation where he was partially willing to give up his no trade clause in the deal for us. So that deal was less risky than a Hall deal. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, JohnC said:

For a talent standpoint I agree. However, he is a free agent and I'm not willing to take the risk of giving up Risto for a one year rental. I don't believe that he is going to give up his free agent status for us. I don't believe that this is a Skinner type situation where he was partially willing to give up his no trade clause in the deal for us. So that deal was less risky than a Hall deal. 

And just look at the kind of deal Hall will wind up getting.  I can't picture any team spending $18+ million on two wings.  Marner/Nylander is the only one I can think of, and that will be a very interesting one to watch since their entire blueline other than Rielly hit UFA after the season.  I'm still under the impression that they'd take back that Nylander deal if they could.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Taylor Hall scares nobody and the amount of money he will be seeking is going to be ridiculous.

No thanks. I’d much rather have Ristolainen.

32 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Taylor Hall scares nobody and the amount of money he will be seeking is going to be ridiculous.

No thanks. I’d much rather have Ristolainen.

Taylor Hall scares nobody? :lol:

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I was only looking at it from purely a talent for talent standpoint. I get that there would be a huge risk involved given Hall’s pending FA status. Helluva player though.

29 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Taylor Hall scares nobody? :lol:

That’s right, nobody.

Since the 13-14 season, Hall has cracked the 10% shooting percentage exactly one time.

He is one of the most overrated players going. He had one great year and not much else to write home about.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

56 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I was only looking at it from purely a talent for talent standpoint. I get that there would be a huge risk involved given Hall’s pending FA status. Helluva player though.

There is no debate between us regarding his talent level. We are in accord. He won a MVP trophy a couple of years ago because he deserved it. For the sake of argument let's say that the Sabres traded for him and were able to sign him to an extension. What do you think his average salary on a long term deal  will be? $9 plus? If we sign him to a market rate I doubt that we will also be able to sign Reinhart. In the not too distant future we will be facing a contract negotiation with Dahlin. With Hall on a high end contract the team will have to do a lot of maneuvering and shedding of players to accommodate our sparkling pimple faced defenseman. 

Taylor Hall is going to be a free agent after this season. If dealt he is not going to sign with us, or with anyone, and forego the market bidding of being a free agent. More and more retaining Risto seems like a good option not only because he is playing well but also because he has a reasonable contract with a few years on it.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, shrader said:

And just look at the kind of deal Hall will wind up getting.  I can't picture any team spending $18+ million on two wings.  Marner/Nylander is the only one I can think of, and that will be a very interesting one to watch since their entire blueline other than Rielly hit UFA after the season. I'm still under the impression that they'd take back that Nylander deal if they could.

I have a different take on the Nylander deal. Right now Nylander is on the Mathews line. Mathews is one of the most dynamic goal scorers in the league. Nylander's presence on that line enhances Mathews's scoring. My point is that Nylander is maximizing Toronto's biggest asset in Mathews. And that ability is not going to come cheap.

I agree with you that next year there will have to be some roster shuffling because of the cap squeeze. But all teams that have a contingent of premier talents have to contend with that issue. They won't be able to keep all their defensemen but they should be able to adequately replace them with cheaper veterans and cheaper farm players who are ready to move up. 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27855135/nhl-mirage-meter-which-players-hot-starts-continue

NHL mirage meter: Which players' hot starts will continue?

3. The Sabres' cutting-edge power play:

This one is technically cheating because the player in question was already on the team at the end of last season, but let's just roll with it for the sake of this exercise. After all, it was just a six-game cameo in the last days of a miserable campaign in Buffalo, and it was under a different coach and different set of circumstances..... (continued in link)

The league is taking notice of how dangerous buffalo’s power play is. I thought they did a good job describing why (though they totally forgot to mention reinhart’s role). 

It is a well designed power play. So much better than the previous couple years. 

That was one (of many) thing(s) that sent up warning flags about housley (that I tried my hardest to ignore/explain away...lol). The PP was supposed to be his specialty, and he even had a perfect blue print of how to use Buffalo’s personnel already laid out for him when he took over. All he had to do was continue what Bob Woods was doing. But he changed everything and our PP never really clicked as well after that. Yet he stubbornly stuck to his system. Anyway.... 

I know our PP isn’t going to keep scoring at a damn near 50% clip, but I do think they can continue to be one of the NHL’s best PP units. The Sabres have had the #1 PP before (2016), and we have the talent to do it again. I think we actually have more talent on our PP than we did in 2016. 

7 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27855135/nhl-mirage-meter-which-players-hot-starts-continue

NHL mirage meter: Which players' hot starts will continue?

The league is taking notice of how dangerous buffalo’s power play is. I thought they did a good job describing why (though they totally forgot to mention reinhart’s role). 

It is a well designed power play. So much better than the previous couple years. 

That was one (of many) thing(s) that sent up warning flags about housley (that I tried my hardest to ignore/explain away...lol). The PP was supposed to be his specialty, and he even had a perfect blue print of how to use Buffalo’s personnel already laid out for him when he took over. All he had to do was continue what Bob Woods was doing. But he changed everything and our PP never really clicked as well after that. Yet he stubbornly stuck to his system. Anyway.... 

I know our PP isn’t going to keep scoring at a damn near 50% clip, but I do think they can continue to be one of the NHL’s best PP units. The Sabres have had the #1 PP before (2016), and we have the talent to do it again. I think we actually have more talent on our PP than we did in 2016. 

Teams are soon going to adjust by taking away our flanks with Eichel and Olofsson on the PP. What that will do is open up the middle for Skinner and Reinhart. In addition, with the middle more open shots from our defenseman (Miller and Montour) will be more available. Or another way of describing the situation is to pick your poison.  

• Like (+1) 1

Talk about falling apart. Up two zip, now down 3-2. 

Perhaps they've been reading their press clippings and just thought they could coast after going up 2-0? The Duck started slowly and the Sabres were skating circles around a much slower team, but Anaheim started asserting their size and strength and we don't have an answer at the moment. 

Nice response by Reinhart after Olofsson got boarded. 

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

Talk about falling apart. Up two zip, now down 3-2. 

Perhaps they've been reading their press clippings and just thought they could coast after going up 2-0? The Duck started slowly and the Sabres were skating circles around a much slower team, but Anaheim started asserting their size and strength and we don't have an answer at the moment. 

Nice response by Reinhart after Olofsson got boarded. 

well, we will see if that is how other teams play against them now..