Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Players reported to camp today for physicals. Practices start tomorrow! 

Were getting close now! Preseason starts in 4 days! 

That prospect tournament got me pretty excited, seeing the style of hockey Krueger wants to play. I love teams that constantly pressure the puck/puck carrier. They are usually exciting to watch, and are consistently some of the toughest teams to play against. I’m thinking they’ll use a 2-1-2 style forecheck as their main attack in the o zone, which should be pretty fun to watch... 

The more intriguing issue for me entering camp is how much turnover is there going to be on the roster when the season starts. I think that there is going to be at least 6 new faces when the season starts. (I'm counting Olofsson as a new face.) The Risto trade possibility is another issue hovering over this roster. The question relating to him is whether a more disciplined and prudently (lesser) used defenseman a bigger asset than getting a second line forward for him? 

https://theathletic.com/1205861/2019/09/12/im-here-now-and-i-guess-i-will-be-here-tomorrow-rasmus-ristolainen-returns-to-buffalo-ready-to-work/ (sub. required) 

“I think as players we’ve got to do better, be on the same page and buy in to what the coach brings,” he said. “Yeah, there’s been a lot of different head coaches. What’s probably different between them and Ralph is that I feel Ralph has some experience and a young team like us that’s what we need.[

“Losing is frustrating for sure, but when you go through tough times and losing, I feel it makes me and makes us stronger, makes us respect the win more. You’ve got to earn it.”

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

The below link is a column written by Bill Hoppe for the Buffalo Hockey Beat. It talks about the training camp competition and the Risto issue. 

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-rasmus-ristolainen-back-in-buffalo-but-for-how-long/?view=getnewpost

I am so tired of writers saying this:

I cannot say anything other than the fact that on the 12th of September, (I will be at) one of the NHL team’s training camp,” according to a Google translation of the interview.

That, of course, sounds like a guy who wants out."

Not really.   All it says (to me) is that Risto realizes he could be traded and will be at some team's camps when it opens.   The Sabres have control over that, not Risto--unless he holds out--which he clearly gave no sign of doing (ie., playing in the golf tournament) and is Buffalo, at least for today.  

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I know there's a free agent log jam going on and what not, but at some point, Botterill might want to make some moves to improve this team.

Why in the world should it be any better than last year, other than maybe for a slight incremental improvement due to key players being a year older, bigger, and wiser?

The new coach?  That's probably a push at best.

This team has almost no chance of making the playoffs and the season hasn't even started yet.

Labor Day is the new Halloween 

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I am so tired of writers saying this:

I cannot say anything other than the fact that on the 12th of September, (I will be at) one of the NHL team’s training camp,” according to a Google translation of the interview.

That, of course, sounds like a guy who wants out."

Not really.   All it says (to me) is that Risto realizes he could be traded and will be at some team's camps when it opens.   The Sabres have control over that, not Risto--unless he holds out--which he clearly gave no sign of doing (ie., playing in the golf tournament) and is Buffalo, at least for today.  

The Risto issue is not simply a Risto issue. If the organization believes that a trade will improve the team it will be made. If an organization believes that retaining the player (at least for the present) makes the team better he will be kept. Risto not being satisfied with his situation on a consistently losing team is understandable. However, the more more consideration is if the GM believes that he has an excess of defensemen and a lack of second line forwards then it wouldn't be surprising that a trade would be made to better balance the roster. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The Risto issue is not simply a Risto issue. If the organization believes that a trade will improve the team it will be made. If an organization believes that retaining the player (at least for the present) makes the team better he will be kept. Risto not being satisfied with his situation on a consistently losing team is understandable. However, the more more consideration is if the GM believes that he has an excess of defensemen and a lack of second line forwards then it wouldn't be surprising that a trade would be made to better balance the roster. 

Yes, yes.   I agree with you--if it makes sense and they get value in return, the Sabres will make the trade.    If not, they won't.

My point had more to do with the media.    Harrington, Hoppe, Vogel, etc. have all perpetuated this 'Risto wants a trade' story from one line in a translated interview from a Finish publication.   I say their interpretation is bogus and designed to capture eyeballs and clicks, more than anything else...

• Like (+1) 1

The link is a column written by WGR's Paul Hamilton. It's about Eichel answering questions from the podium for the media. The one revealing response is that Jack will be focusing more on scoring goals this season. He said he put in a lot of attention this offseason on improving the accuracy of his shot.  

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-eichel-thinks-krueger-being-well-received

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Who on the Vancouver roster is rumored to being offered for Risto?

I'm throwing this out there for comments: If the Sabres had an offer of Winnipeg's Ehler or Detroit's Mantha for Risto which one would be the better deal? 

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Who on the Vancouver roster is rumored to being offered for Risto?

I'm throwing this out there for comments: If the Sabres had an offer of Winnipeg's Ehler or Detroit's Mantha for Risto which one would be the better deal? 

Ehlers.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, K-9 said:

Ehlers.

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Agreed

Would the both of you consider this to be a fair-value deal?

My belief is if the GM can get a piece to help construct a good second line that it would have a significant impact. By adding a player to the second line you can then push a second line player to the third line and upgrading that line. 

36 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Would the both of you consider this to be a fair-value deal?

My belief is if the GM can get a piece to help construct a good second line that it would have a significant impact. By adding a player to the second line you can then push a second line player to the third line and upgrading that line. 

I think it’s a fair deal, not sure Winnipeg would feel that way, though. I think the Jets would prefer to move Laine.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I have yet to see that “Ranting Ron” guy call anything, has anyone else?

As of now I’m not putting a whole lot of stock into what he says. He seems the type that just throws stuff out there to generate conversation on his twitter feed. 

I'm pretty sure there was stuff earlier in the week about him regularly posting "rumors" and then deleting them pretty quickly.  I'm too lazy to look, but I bet the one posted upthread has already been deleted.

• Like (+1) 1