Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

Krueger isn’t in episode 1 all that much (because they didn’t have a training camp and all the players were down in the AHL, which is what the video shows). 

But he’s in episode 2/3/4 a bunch. It’s a cool look behind the scenes. You get an idea of his coaching style. 

Not sure how I’d feel about $9+ million a year for Skinner.  

$8.5M was really the highest I wanted them to go. But how can you lose a 40 goal scorer on a team that struggles mightily to score goals?  The only free agent that could truly replace him is Panarin, and there’s a 0% chance he comes here. 

12 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Not sure how I’d feel about $9+ million a year for Skinner.  

$8.5M was really the highest I wanted them to go. But how can you lose a 40 goal scorer on a team that struggles mightily to score goals?  The only free agent that could truly replace him is Panarin, and there’s a 0% chance he comes here. 

If Skinner would not have had his mini-slump at the end of the season where he repeatedly missed an open net he would have scored 50 goals. If he would have capitalized on those additional  scoring chances his salary demand would have been even higher, around 9.5 plus. The one appealing aspect of Skinner's game is that his style of play on offense never varied even when he wasn't scoring. And another consideration when considering his value is that when playing with Jack and Reinhart he better than any of the players on the team and in the league is capable of converting those passes from his linemates. The point being that those talents of the other first line players are translated into production.

Most of the reporting on the contract talks is positive. So I'm not really worried about a deal getting done. The bigger issue is what other players are going to be brought in to upgrade the talent level. If the GM can add three good (not elite) players to the mix and with internal improvement from the young guys then this team with better coaching should be much more competitive. 

14 hours ago, JohnC said:

If Skinner would not have had his mini-slump at the end of the season where he repeatedly missed an open net he would have scored 50 goals. If he would have capitalized on those additional  scoring chances his salary demand would have been even higher, around 9.5 plus. The one appealing aspect of Skinner's game is that his style of play on offense never varied even when he wasn't scoring. And another consideration when considering his value is that when playing with Jack and Reinhart he better than any of the players on the team and in the league is capable of converting those passes from his linemates. The point being that those talents of the other first line players are translated into production.

Most of the reporting on the contract talks is positive. So I'm not really worried about a deal getting done. The bigger issue is what other players are going to be brought in to upgrade the talent level. If the GM can add three good (not elite) players to the mix and with internal improvement from the young guys then this team with better coaching should be much more competitive. 

I'm still leery of giving him 8 yrs 9m$ on a career year. But the alternative is not pretty

2 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I'm still leery of giving him 8 yrs 9m$ on a career year. But the alternative is not pretty

What's the option? If you are not going to pay the market rate then get out of the business. This offseason a number of teams are going to have trouble squeezing in all the players they want to keep. It's a touch situation for a lot of teams. We are in a good financial (cap) situation to secure him. It needs to get done, and it will. 

1 minute ago, ALF said:

It's all about if Krueger can convince Skinner to stay. After losing high scorers Kane and O Reilly the Sabres can't afford to let Skinner go.

I'd imagine it's far more about money than it is about whether or not Krueger can makes a sales pitch.

I sure hope they get it done today with Skinner. I also hope that Krueger has the good sense to play him in OT. He won 3 OT games early in the season, then Housley inexplicably benched him for Sheary in all of the 3-on-3 situations. Housley deserved to be fired just for that foolish error alone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Crap. Now I’m thinking he won’t sign at all ?

You are too nice of a guy to become a cynic. There are more than enough people to fill that dour role. Let me infuse you with confidence that the negotiations will soon conclude with both sides smiling about the outcome. The inveterate negativists will seamlessly go on to the next issue and continue on with their sour disposition. Hang in there! :)

31 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You are too nice of a guy to become a cynic. There are more than enough people to fill that dour role. Let me infuse you with confidence that the negotiations will soon conclude with both sides smiling about the outcome. The inveterate negativists will seamlessly go on to the next issue and continue on with their sour disposition. Hang in there! :)

I wouldn't call it being a cynic though.  The constant use of the phrase "super secret source" doesn't exactly instill much in the way of confidence, at least for me.

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

I wouldn't call it being a cynic though.  The constant use of the phrase "super secret source" doesn't exactly instill much in the way of confidence, at least for me.

If a deal is made soon will your confidence level be raised? Darren Dreger was on WGR today and he stated that the negotiations are going well and the parties are close to an accord. Also, in this offseason I have not heard any reports that it was more probable that he would leave rather than stay. 

I am not the naïve type but I do believe that Jeremy White does have a genuine source who knows what is going on within the organization. 

44 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Nah I’m just cynical about white’s super secret Sabres source. He’s like the Mike Pereira of sources!

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nah I’m just cynical about white’s super secret Sabres source. He’s like the Mike Pereira of sources!

If you close your eyes and hit the ball over the fence it still counts as a home run. :)

3 hours ago, shrader said:

The same super secret source that said the coaching job was Tippet's if he wanted it, after the job had already been offered to Krueger?

Yep... same guy. 

Seems like he’s probably just throwing it out there because there are lots of rumors a deal with Skinner is very close. 

Not it sure why I even shared it... lol

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

If a deal is made soon will your confidence level be raised? Darren Dreger was on WGR today and he stated that the negotiations are going well and the parties are close to an accord. Also, in this offseason I have not heard any reports that it was more probable that he would leave rather than stay. 

I am not the naïve type but I do believe that Jeremy White does have a genuine source who knows what is going on within the organization. 

I just don't want to give that blind squirrel any credit if this by some chance does happen.  Those constant references remind me too much of the hit and run "my neighbor's cousin works on the grounds crew" guys we get over on the football side of the board.

He either is making it up, or his friend is pretending to be more important/involved than he/she really is

He has been wrong much more than correct.  I also get skeptical in situations like this when rumors involve dollar amount and term specifics (or trade returns and such).  There are probably a very small number of people who are in the know.  Botterill, Skinner, his agent, T and K Pegula (and they might just know a budgetary price range), and maybe 1 or 2 sabres employees and a few of Skinner's inner circle.  Everything seems extremely tight lipped

• Like (+1) 1