Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

I worry a bit that this is all a bunch of fools gold right now.  It's been 3 consecutive OT games now and that's pretty much exactly what was happening in the streak last year.  I could really use a definitive victory today (god I hate these early starts).  They're playing a different game than last year, but I worry that it's still the same brains playing that different game.  Until I see that more resilient group that doesn't buckle under the pressure and quit, that possibility is going to remain in my mind.

And John, they can't buy out Sobotka at this point.  So unless they were to convince someone to take on part of his contract, he's here he the rest of the way.  I can't imagine there's much to be saved money-wise by the Arizonas of the world to make that deal since he's in the last year of a contract.  At least he actually plays though and doesn't wind up as the complete cap albatross that Bogosian is.  That's the contract this is going to limit them a bit if they want to make some deadline deals.  He's going to find a way to get healthy for about 3 weeks, blocking the chance of LTIRing him at some point.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, JohnC said:

The attached link is an article by Paul Hamilton for WGR focusing on Dahlin and explaining why Dahlin didn't play at the end of the Florida game. Dahlin is a good and  coachable kid who is receptive to what the coach decides to do. He's a big talent with a secure ego. We are fortunate to have him. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-dahlin-knows-why-he-didnt-play-late-third

I know a lot of Buffalo fans are upset about him sitting the final 8 minutes of the game, but I don’t think it’s really that big a deal (not yet, at least). 

For years, fans have wanted the rebuild to be done and winning to be the #1 priority. 

Well, I think this is partly what it looks like. Most good NHL teams prioritize winning. They don’t give their youngest players unlimited ice time no matter their mistakes+bad play. If a young player is struggling during a game and making costly mistakes, they get less ice time because the team wants to win that game. Winning is the #1 goal.  

Now I get that developing Dahlin is critical to the Sabres future. But I don’t really see this hampering his development. I am sure will be put into those important situations more as the year goes on and he earns more trust with the coaches. Plus, he’s only 19 (and has only been a defenseman since switching from forward at his age 13/14 season). Most defenseman aren’t even in the NHL at age 19. He’s still getting top 4 minutes and #1 PP time. 

Dahlin has without a doubt struggled in his own zone the last 2 games. His usage late in the 3rd period last game reflected that. But Dahlin’s usage was higher when the Sabres have been trailing on the scoreboard. That tells me Krueger recognizes Dahlin’s current strengths. He knows that he should be on the ice when we need to score a goal but maybe not when we need to defend a lead (at least not yet, especially when he’s having a bad game in his own end). 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I worry a bit that this is all a bunch of fools gold right now.  It's been 3 consecutive OT games now and that's pretty much exactly what was happening in the streak last year.  I could really use a definitive victory today (god I hate these early starts).  They're playing a different game than last year, but I worry that it's still the same brains playing that different game.  Until I see that more resilient group that doesn't buckle under the pressure and quit, that possibility is going to remain in my mind.

And John, they can't buy out Sobotka at this point.  So unless they were to convince someone to take on part of his contract, he's here he the rest of the way.  I can't imagine there's much to be saved money-wise by the Arizonas of the world to make that deal since he's in the last year of a contract.  At least he actually plays though and doesn't wind up as the complete cap albatross that Bogosian is.  That's the contract this is going to limit them a bit if they want to make some deadline deals.  He's going to find a way to get healthy for about 3 weeks, blocking the chance of LTIRing him at some point.

I think the difference is that this year the underlying numbers are okay, the goalies are not saving way above expected rate..and if anything the Sabres have been a bit unlucky in the last few games...as opposed to the streak where the PDO was off the charts, goalies were laying way above expectation, and the Sabres were getting lucky as hell with some of those comeback wins.

It kinka like how I see the Bills this year vs 2011..when they were winning with Pick 6s and huge turnover margins...that was last year 10 win streak team

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I know a lot of Buffalo fans are upset about him sitting the final 8 minutes of the game, but I don’t think it’s really that big a deal (not yet, at least). 

For years, fans have wanted the rebuild to be done and winning to be the #1 priority. 

Well, I think this is partly what it looks like. Most good NHL teams prioritize winning. They don’t give their youngest players unlimited ice time no matter their mistakes+bad play. If a young player is struggling during a game and making costly mistakes, they get less ice time because the team wants to win that game. Winning is the #1 goal.  

Now I get that developing Dahlin is critical to the Sabres future. But I don’t really see this hampering his development. I am sure will be put into those important situations more as the year goes on and he earns more trust with the coaches. Plus, he’s only 19 (and has only been a defenseman since switching from forward at his age 13/14 season). Most defenseman aren’t even in the NHL at age 19. He’s still getting top 4 minutes and #1 PP time. 

Dahlin has without a doubt struggled in his own zone the last 2 games. His usage late in the 3rd period last game reflected that. But Dahlin’s usage was higher when the Sabres have been trailing on the scoreboard. That tells me Krueger recognizes Dahlin’s current strengths. He knows that he should be on the ice when we need to score a goal but maybe not when we need to defend a lead (at least not yet, especially when he’s having a bad game in his own end). 

Excellent post. What many people may not have noticed is that at the end of the Panther game Vesey was playing on the first line replacing Olofsson. The switch was for the same reason that Dahlin didn't play at the end of the game when the Panthers were making an offensive push. What this boils down to is situational awareness and attention to detail by this very smart coach.

The coach's first responsibility for this team (a fringe playoff team) is to win. These two young players are getting significant playing so the issue of development is not impinged. The Sabres have had good fortune and started off 4-0-1. So I am not going to get carried away. However, there is no doubt in my mind that astute coaching and not sentimental coaching is a factor in our early success. The coach is smartly managing the assets and liabilities he has within his roster. That's what good coaches do. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, shrader said:

I'm not worried about Sobotka. He's not an albatross. He is playing within his established role, and overall has been solid. And so are Scandella and Okposo, two frequent targets of the frustrated fans. I don't understand your queasiness about this team. Without question this roster is upgraded with the additions. And demonstrably they are playing a harder brand of play for longer periods of time. 

Last year's team was mentally soft. Players quit on the coach and on themselves. The difference this year is that this coach has more depth on its roster and in Rochester. If any player/s succumbs to lax play they will be replaced by the more demanding coach. The going through the motion malignant mentality will not happen under this coach. 

I'm not getting carried away by this excellent start. It's very early in the season. However, what I'm not going to do is merge last year's team with this year's team. They are two distinct entities. Be brave and don't become a worrier. The trajectory is upward. 

• Like (+1) 1

Full quote:

I don’t know how many times I need to repeat it, but there are few people I’ve encountered in 25 years doing this job that have left a bigger impression on me than Krueger. If anyone has a chance to figure out how the Sabres can take the next step, I feel strongly it’s him. It won’t be rosy all year, there are challenging times ahead, but this guy has the personality and acumen to handle it.

Edited by BillsFan4