Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

56 minutes ago, shrader said:

Has there ever been a game where Girgensons didn't miss on a breakaway?

No doubt. Reminds me of when Mike Grier played for the Sabres. Every game a long pass would spring him for a breakaway and I'd get excited until I realized who it was. Invariably, he would shoot it wide or get caught from behind.

I would give the first star to Hutton. He always seemed to be in control even when there was a scrambling presence in front of him after a shot. My second star would go to Sheary because he converted on his chances. That didn't happen last year. My third star would go to Reinhart. He's not a player who sticks out but is so nifty with his passes. His pass to Dahlin in which he scored was exquisite as was Mittelstadt's pass to Sheary on his first goal. 

As eball clearly stated all the lines were contributors on both ends of the ice. There was constant effort from the beginning to the end of the game. I don't recall many lulls in our game whereas last year the droughts were present in most games. 

I don't want to be a Risto basher because we really need his physical presence. But the penalty he took in plain view at the end of the game was stupid. He needs to add more thought to his game. I'm not sure he has the wherewithal to do that. 

I thought Scandella played well and liked what I saw from Joki within the pairing. 

Although Skinner didn't score he had good chances. If that second line with Johansson can be effective this team is going to be so much better. As was frequently stated on the broadcast this team is going to have a very good PP. 

3 hours ago, shrader said:

Has there ever been a game where Girgensons didn't miss on a breakaway?

The epitome of a good 4th line player.

Works to make chances.

Rarely finishes.

Dominic Moore comes to mind.

Edited by snafu

To me, the best. simplest measure of a good team is Regulation Wins.

To put in some perspective, they only had 21 Regulation wins all of last season, and other than the last 2 run-for-the-bus games against the only 2 teams as bad as they were, only had 6 in the 2019 portion of the schedule out of 40 games. 

The number of times that they outplayed an opponent for more than, say 65-70% of any given game the past few years is few and far between.  

We could also be witnessing the beginning of some deep cratering by the Penguins.  They have neglected the draft and prospects for many years and it is going to catch up in a devastating way.  This may be it.

Looking forward to seeing how the Sabres come out at home Saturday.

4 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

No doubt. Reminds me of when Mike Grier played for the Sabres. Every game a long pass would spring him for a breakaway and I'd get excited until I realized who it was. Invariably, he would shoot it wide or get caught from behind.

It's funny that you mention Grier because he was one of the first guys to come to mind after I posted that.  I'm a big fan of the defensive forwards, so I have no intention of trashing Girgensons.  I think that 4th line is one player away from being a very solid lock down line.

Hell, I regularly wear a Grier jersey

1 hour ago, snafu said:

The epitome of a good 4th line player.

Works to make chances.

Rarely finishes.

Dominic Moore comes to mind.

And now you have me thinking of the odd and short period of time where Moore was a Sabres.  Looking up the stats now, I had no idea he actually got into 18 games.  All I remember is missing time due to immediately getting injured.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, shrader said:

It's funny that you mention Grier because he was one of the first guys to come to mind after I posted that.  I'm a big fan of the defensive forwards, so I have no intention of trashing Girgensons.  I think that 4th line is one player away from being a very solid lock down line.

And now you have me thinking of the odd and short period of time where Moore was a Sabres.  Looking up the stats now, I had no idea he actually got into 18 games.  All I remember is missing time due to immediately getting injured.

Truthfully, living downstate I saw a lot of Moore’s play when he was with the Rangers. 

He was a great fourth liner.  I always thought teams would do well to put a finisher at wing on the 4th line.  A guy like Evander Kane on an otherwise loaded team would kill it on a 4th line.

the Igloo (Civic Arena) is built different.

concessions and the escalator exit are at the top of the upper tier seating, so to get to the front rows you have to walk down many steps, not much fun when you have an elderly person with you....  most stadiums have concessions at the bottom of upper tier seating.

Edited by row_33

23 minutes ago, shrader said:

Yeah, I am a fan of both Grier and Girgs as well. Just wish they could finish some of those breakaways that they seem to be able to get free for.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-home-opener-jack-eichel/c-309750018

Fans who walk into KeyBank Center on Saturday night will be greeted by a series of banners hung throughout the atrium, each depicting a moment from the Sabres' 50-year history. 

There are images of Dominik Hasek, Pat LaFontaine, Danny Gare, and Daniel Briere. Fans will see Gilbert Perreault being carried on the shoulders of his teammates after scoring his 500th NHL goal and Ryan Miller and company at the inaugural Winter Classic in Orchard Park. Among those banners is an image of Jack Eichel celebrating his second NHL goal. Eichel will again find himself among Sabres greats prior to Saturday's home opener against New Jersey, when the team welcomes 14 former captains to the ice as part of a pregame ceremony. 

Eichel had just passed beneath those atrium banners as he considered what the moment will mean.  

"It's a really, really special moment just to put that into perspective and think about the franchise and obviously what an honor it is to be the captain of this franchise," he said. “To think about the history and all the past captains, what it was like for them to wear the 'C,' and for me to carry on the tradition - it's a complete honor. It's really cool that the Sabres are doing this tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it."

Pretty cool that they will have so many of the Sabresrevious captains at the home opener. Eichel seems to really understand the weight it carries and that it’s an honor. 

I was a captain on 3 of my hockey teams over the years and even though it was obviously at a lower level than the NHL I still was honored to be picked and treated it as a responsibility. 

Eichel's time with the Sabres has given him the chance to pick the brains of some of the organization's regularly returning alumni.......

......Pominville's tales of the mid-2000s, combined with videos and Rick Jeanneret's famous calls from the era, fuel a hunger to return the organization to springtime hockey. 

"It's just something that we want to recreate so badly," Eichel said. "Obviously, it's been a tough go here for a little bit but we're so desperate to get back to playing meaningful games and bring that atmosphere around this arena."

Eichel stressed that it was only one game, but Thursday's season-opening victory in Pittsburgh was a good start. The Sabres stuck to the aggressive approach they worked on throughout the preseason and kept their foot on the pedal even after going up by two goals in the second period. 

"I think a lot of the guys in the room were pretty excited about it after the game," Eichel said. "I thought the way we played, it was the new brand of Sabres hockey."

I sure hope so! 

42 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the Igloo (Civic Arena) is built different.

concessions and the escalator exit are at the top of the upper tier seating, so to get to the front rows you have to walk down many steps, not much fun when you have an elderly person with you....  most stadiums have concessions at the bottom of upper tier seating.

Did you post this in 2005 and it just showed up now?  

39 minutes ago, bbb said:

Did you post this in 2005 and it just showed up now?  

he may have, but Consol is built like this ( i was in the igloo a few times in the 80's, dont remember if it was that way too). I scalped a ticket   outside  few years back, part of the price was buying dude a beer. We were first row upper deck, getting down those stairs with two drafts was no fun  !

BTW, if you like to stand the standing room at Consol is great. Numbered/ticketed spaces, bar in front of you to set your beer, hooks for your coat..excellant way to watch a hockey game

I

• Like (+1) 1

The Devils blew a 4-0 lead and lost their home opener to Winnipeg. The Devils will be one of the most exciting offensive teams in the NHL this year as they bring immense passing and skating ability to create scoring chances on a level with any team.

NOW........................

the Devils D and goaltending leave A LOT to be desired. Winnipeg made a pretty easy comeback from a 4-0 deficit. Very alarming.

All of this means the Devils are still a bad team overall and if the Sabres don't get into a run and gun game................ DID I SAY THAT ABOUT THE DEVILS????..................

the Sabres should walk out of their home opener with a ho hum 4-1, 4-2 type of victory.

The Sabres bigger bodies should have a field day down low with this Devils D.

Andy Greene is STILL a number one D man on the Devils. That is all you need to know. Case closed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

It would be great for the Sabres to play well and get a win in front up of a revved up home crowd. The long battered fans need to watch some consistent energetic play instead of watching a team that in recent history not only has too often had extended lulls but was also not entertaining. Even if you lose playing the right way and respecting the game has value. 

I'm not sure that this is a playoff roster. But I am sure that with the addition of Johansson, Vesey, Miller, Joki and the development of Olofsson and hopefully Mitts this is an upgraded roster. There are people who reflexively criticize our GM. I thought in securing Johansson, Vesey, Miller, Joki, Montour and Skinner for a miniscule price he has done a terrific job. Blaming him for the miscues of his predecessors makes no sense. He is doing a good job. 

20 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

If they play the way they did game 1 I will be extremely happy and excited. Just looks like a different team from preseason and carried over so far into game 1

Are you saying they looked like this in preseason?  Or they looked different in Game 1?  I didn't pay attention during preseason as it seemed it was always AHL players.