Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

Impressive debut for Krueger. 

Nice to see Mitts get involved early. 

Scandella actually played well; his best game in a long while. 

The best part about it for me was how we withstood Pittsburgh’s counter punch after we totally dominated the first 10 minutes. I’ll admit, part of me was waiting for the inevitable cave-in like we saw last year. But no. Not only did we survive that counter punch, but we punched right back, retook control, and then dominated the final two periods. And that’s after the refs did everything they could to give the ‘Guins chances to even things up. 

Well done.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

First win of thirty!

It's just one game but it was well played and crisp.

1 hour ago, thebug said:

I would appreciate a few points from Skinner and Vesey in the 3rd for my hockey pool. Thanks! 

Vesey missed the empty net.

I was really impressed with the style of hockey they played. That, IMO, is a winning brand of hockey. It’s tough to play against. They constantly had 1 and 2 guys on every puck, took away Pittsburgh’s time and space, got in shot+passing lanes, caused turnovers all night. They just hounded the puck. 

They also played aggressive, but controlled. I was nervous at first when I heard “aggressive” from Krueger. Housley’s system flashed into my head. All the odd man rushes and huge mistakes... but they played nothing like that. They were aggressive, but they always had a teammate helping+backing them up. 

I love that they played exactly how Krueger wanted and got a win right off the bat. IMO it helps with the buy-in. They see that what Lrueger is asking the, to do works. 

I mean, it almost looked like Pittsburgh and Buffalo switched jerseys tonight! ? 

We dominated them like they usually do to us. 

All in all it has left me pretty hopeful. Krueger is off to s good start. It has me hopeful that he is legit. Obviously still too early to judge, but I like that I am seeing what sure looked like a well coached team. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

I was really impressed with the style of hockey they played. That, IMO, is a winning brand of hockey. It’s tough to play against. They constantly had 1 and 2 guys on every puck, took away Pittsburgh’s time and space, got in shot+passing lanes, caused turnovers all night. They just hounded the puck. 

They also played aggressive, but controlled. I was nervous at first when I heard “aggressive” from Krueger. Housley’s system flashed into my head. All the odd man rushes and huge mistakes... but they played nothing like that. They were aggressive, but they always had a teammate helping+backing them up. 

I love that they played exactly how Krueger wanted and got a win right off the bat. IMO it helps with the buy-in. They see that what Lrueger is asking the, to do works. 

I mean, it almost looked like Pittsburgh and Buffalo switched jerseys tonight! ? 

We dominated them like they usually do to us. 

All in all it has left me pretty hopeful. Krueger is off to s good start. It has me hopeful that he is legit. Obviously still too early to judge, but I like that I am seeing what sure looked like a well coached team. 

Thats a tried and true style that always, at a minimum, keeps a team in a game. If that’s the style of this team going forward, I love it.

I’ve always been an advocate of a simple puck control style that depends on support in all three zones and especially on the forecheck. It takes hard and disciplined work.  By the time they get to this level, every player knows the right way to play the game.  Installing innovative systems never made much sense to me.  Let the players play the way they’ve grown up playing and make sure they work hard at it. If Krueger can make sure they work, we will see good results.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I know its one game bu this line from that article summed it up

There were 19 players that were totally plugged in and totally engaged. When was the last time you could say that?

Truer words never spoken! And BTW Sabres, thx for the beers at Nissan by winning at +165!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

My biggest takeaway from last night's very encouraging victory was that ALL of the Sabres' lines created pressure and opportunities.  When was the last time you could say that?

It's early, but what a great start to the Krueger era.  I was also shocked to read that this was the Sabres' first regulation win vs. Pittsburgh in more than SIX years.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, eball said:

My biggest takeaway from last night's very encouraging victory was that ALL of the Sabres' lines created pressure and opportunities.  When was the last time you could say that?

It's early, but what a great start to the Krueger era.  I was also shocked to read that this was the Sabres' first regulation win vs. Pittsburgh in more than SIX years.

Was just about to post the same, all 4 lines generated scoring Opps.  Could've easily been 5 or 6 to 1.

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

I know its one game bu this line from that article summed it up

There were 19 players that were totally plugged in and totally engaged. When was the last time you could say that?

Truer words never spoken! And BTW Sabres, thx for the beers at Nissan by winning at +165!!!!!

That clearly stood out.  Even after a mistake or an errant pass, there was always a Sabre covering. Looked like Pens didn't know what hit them. 

If they can maintain this intensity it will be a fun season.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

First win of thirty!

^this guy ?

According to him you can't be negative about the Bills but he is always down on the Sabres. 

I am glad they are off to a good start and hopefully it continues Saturday for the home opener. 

12 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

^this guy ?

According to him you can't be negative about the Bills but he is always down on the Sabres. 

I am glad they are off to a good start and hopefully it continues Saturday for the home opener. 

Aren't you adorable, trying to be me.

Edited by Joe in Winslow

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Aren't you adorable, trying to be me.

I am just saying. You always make a big deal about people being negative about the Bills but you are always negative about the Sabres. I bet you didn't even see the game yesterday. 

4 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I am just saying. You always make a big deal about people being negative about the Bills but you are always negative about the Sabres. I bet you didn't even see the game yesterday. 

Maybe the Bills have shown clear progress and the Sabres GM prefers golf.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Watched the first period, they looked semi-respectable. But hockey doesn't begin to matter until January for me.

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Watched the first period, they looked semi-respectable. But hockey doesn't begin to matter until January for me.

Yes it is early but I saw them as more than semi-respectable.  They looked good.

I'm not sure I like the Skinner Eichel break up but we'll see.  Maybe the coach can make chicken salad from the ingredients the GM gave him.