Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

can you go into more detail? I am lost. I get the LTIR for Hunwick, possibly Bogo...but why two guys      assignedd to  Rochester who   should be   playing? Are we in daily caphellbeforee the season even starts with a team that is projected to     finish bottom 5 in the league?   

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

No panic here. They were temporarily assigned to the A so that JBotts could maximize cap space as it relates to LTIR designations like Hunwick and possible Bogo. They can both be recalled tomorrow. Olafsson will be skating on a line with Jack and Samson on Thursday night. And it looks like Jokiharu will be on the third D pair at the moment. 

With Scandella!

Be afraid. Very afraid.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

can you go into more detail? I am lost. I get the LTIR for Hunwick, possibly Bogo...but why two guys      assignedd to  Rochester who   should be   playing? Are we in daily caphellbeforee the season even starts with a team that is projected to     finish bottom 5 in the league?   

Long story short, they need to be below the cap before they can LTIR Hunwick.  If you're $1 million below the cap when you place a $5 million guy on LTIR, you are allowed to exceed the cap by $4 million.  So you want to be as close to the cap as possible when you place a guy on LTIR in order to maximize your allowance.

Honestly, I'm surprised they even put out the public announcement of the moves.  It only serves to confuse.

Edited by shrader
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, shrader said:

Honestly, I'm surprised they even put out the public announcement of the moves.  It only serves to confuse.

Probably because if they didn't there would be leaks and create even more confusion.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, eball said:

Probably because if they didn't there would be leaks and create even more confusion.

What is there to leak though, especially since it all happens over one day?  Someone from the team is not going to leak out these roster moves, making people think Olofsson didn't make the team.

14 minutes ago, shrader said:

What is there to leak though, especially since it all happens over one day?  Someone from the team is not going to leak out these roster moves, making people think Olofsson didn't make the team.

By releasing the moves publicly those "in the know" can explain the real purpose and intent.  Anyway, not a huge deal regardless.

The below link is a Paul Hamilton column for WGR about Scandella. In my view he is a third pairing type of defenseman who plays on the third pairing. I don't understand why he receives so much scorn. In the column Paul H lists the lines and defense pairings. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-scandella-looking-rebound

The below link is Paul Hamilton on WGR talking about the team to Howard Simon. It is a ten minute segment

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/10-02-paul-hamilton-howard-and-sal

Edited by JohnC
additions

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

The below link is a Paul Hamilton column for WGR about Scandella. In my view he is a third pairing type of defenseman who plays on the third pairing. I don't understand why he receives so much scorn. In the column Paul H lists the lines and defense pairings. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-scandella-looking-rebound

The below link is Paul Hamilton on WGR talking about the team to Howard Simon. It is a ten minute segment

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/10-02-paul-hamilton-howard-and-sal

Really? He’s good for at least two gorgeous, tape to tape passes to the opposition a game in his own D zone. That, and he can’t anticipate worth a damn. 

12 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Really? He’s good for at least two gorgeous, tape to tape passes to the opposition a game in his own D zone. That, and he can’t anticipate worth a damn. 

He's a third line defenseman who plays at a third line level.  He makes mistakes as do a lot of other players (not only defensemen)  in their defensive responsibilities. Risto who is more talented makes a lot more mental mistakes than does Scandella, the lesser talent. Scandella is essentially an inconsequential player who doesn't play significant minutes and has little bearing on the fortunes of the team. In my view he is targeted for criticism more than he deserves. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

He's a third line defenseman who plays at a third line level.  He makes mistakes as do a lot of other players (not only defensemen)  in their defensive responsibilities. Risto who is more talented makes a lot more mental mistakes than does Scandella, the lesser talent. Scandella is essentially an inconsequential player who doesn't play significant minutes and has little bearing on the fortunes of the team. In my view he is targeted for criticism more than he deserves. 

I agree Scandella is a inconsequential player. Which is why he should be up in the press box as the 7th D man. Risto, for all his mental lapses, is a pain in the ass to play against. If I could say the same thing about Scandella, I wouldn’t be opposed to him being in the top 6. But I can’t. 

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I agree Scandella is a inconsequential player. Which is why he should be up in the press box as the 7th D man. Risto, for all his mental lapses, is a pain in the ass to play against. If I could say the same thing about Scandella, I wouldn’t be opposed to him being in the top 6. But I can’t. 

Because Scandella is easily replaceable is a reason why I am not as concerned about him. He doesn't have the more important role that Risto has. That's why Risto is in my view a second pairing (not first pairing) defenseman. There is no question that Risto is a banger on a unit that lacks hitters. He and McCabe are the only muscle/physical defenseman on the unit. (Bogo is hurt so I won't put him in that category.) 

Although Risto is a physical player I wouldn't be surprised that his tenure on this team is not for the long haul. He repeatedly makes glaring mistakes that get converted into goals. I don't get the sense that Krueger is the type of coach that is going to tolerate mistake prone play, even from one of the few physical players on the unit.  

I'm not singling Risto out for criticism because I don't like him. I would love to see him coached up and play smarter. It is his lack of intelligent play and not his physical talent that makes him a lesser player than he should be. I expect this season that his minutes will decline and his role will be simplified. Maybe that will restore his game where it should be?

Just now, JohnC said:

Because Scandella is easily replaceable is a reason why I am not as concerned about him. He doesn't have the more important role that Risto has. That's why Risto is in my view a second pairing (not first pairing) defenseman. There is no question that Risto is a banger on a unit that lacks hitters. He and McCabe are the only muscle/physical defenseman on the unit. (Bogo is hurt so I won't put him in that category.) 

Although Risto is a physical player I wouldn't be surprised that his tenure on this team is not for the long haul. He repeatedly makes glaring mistakes that get converted into goals. I don't get the sense that Krueger is the type of coach that is going to tolerate mistake prone play, even from one of the few physical players on the unit.  

I'm not singling Risto out for criticism because I don't like him. I would love to see him coached up and play smarter. It is his lack of intelligent play and not his physical talent that makes him a lesser player than he should be. I expect this season that his minutes will decline and his role will be simplified. Maybe that will restore his game where it should be?

Well, if Scandella is easily replaceable, and I agree entirely that he is, that’s all the more reason for him to be the 7th D man. And perhaps he will be once Montour and Pilut return. 

I hope a reduction in minutes and subsequent less reliance on Risto along with exposure to new coaching and philosophies will result in better play as well. I kind of doubt it though. Yeah, he’s still a young player, but imo, he’s fully baked at this point. But he’s still a major pain in the ass to play against and that counts for something in my book. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Well, if Scandella is easily replaceable, and I agree entirely that he is, that’s all the more reason for him to be the 7th D man. And perhaps he will be once Montour and Pilut return. 

I hope a reduction in minutes and subsequent less reliance on Risto along with exposure to new coaching and philosophies will result in better play as well. I kind of doubt it though. Yeah, he’s still a young player, but imo, he’s fully baked at this point. But he’s still a major pain in the ass to play against and that counts for something in my book. 

There is no way if Montour is healthy that Scandella dresses.

• Like (+1) 1

I think some of the hate for Scandella comes from his $4M cap hit. If he was being paid the $1-2M that bottom pair defenseman make I’m sure people would complain less. 

Also, he was traded for to be more than a bottom pairing defenseman for us. I think most were hoping for a top 4 guy.

Its also worth noting that Marcus Foligno is a hometown kid and was a big fan favorite with many, so maybe some hold that against him or wish the Sabres had foligno back? I don’t know.

I am not too worried about him in a bottom pairing role for now. He’s off the books after this year and it’ll give some of the kids more time to develop. I just hope he doesn’t keep Pilut off the ice once he’s back unless he’s legitimately earning his playing time. 

12 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I think some of the hate for Scandella comes from his $4M cap hit. If he was being paid the $1-2M that bottom pair defenseman make I’m sure people would complain less. 

Also, he was traded for to be more than a bottom pairing defenseman for us. I think most were hoping for a top 4 guy.

Its also worth noting that Marcus Foligno is a hometown kid and was a big fan favorite with many, so maybe some hold that against him or wish the Sabres had foligno back? I don’t know.

I am not too worried about him in a bottom pairing role for now. He’s off the books after this year and it’ll give some of the kids more time to develop. I just hope he doesn’t keep Pilut off the ice once he’s back unless he’s legitimately earning his playing time. 

I wouldn’t complain about a 3 dollar beer, but charge me 12 dollars for the same beer and yeah, I expect a little more. 

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I appreciate where you’re coming from here, BF4, but rest assured that my assessment of Scandella comes from one place and one place only; his utter suckitude on the ice. 

• Like (+1) 2