Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

13 hours ago, JoeF said:

He’s not.  I was freaking confusing him with Johnson.  I am a dumbass.  I am confused not you k-9

If it makes you feel any better, you managed to add a different level of confusion for me.  I thought Motzko was still with St. Cloud and I had no f'n clue as to how they fit into anything.

3 hours ago, shrader said:

If it makes you feel any better, you managed to add a different level of confusion for me.  I thought Motzko was still with St. Cloud and I had no f'n clue as to how they fit into anything.

This is a song to reflect the ball of confusions that JoeF created. :ph34r:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=temptations+ball+of+confusion+video&&view=detail&mid=FFD63CE15F5798199010FFD63CE15F5798199010&rvsmid=3C5ACADAADAB70756F283C5ACADAADAB70756F28&FORM=VDMCNR

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

"And the band played on"....just like us when we are thinking about the Sabres...

• Thank you (+1) 1

I just realized that it was 5 years ago today that Darcy Regier was fired. 

Crazy that’s its been 5 years already.

I remember him announcing a “5 year plan” that would include “some suffering” (I don’t think anyone knew just how much...).

It does leave me slightly curious as to where we’d be right now had Darcy been able to complete that 5 year plan. He was stockpiling a s*** ton of draft picks and looking back now, those 2015 and 2016 draft look pretty damn good through the top 3 rounds (where buffalo had a ton of picks). Especially 2015. That draft was just loaded. I do give Darcy credit for deciding to tank just in time for a couple drafts with very elite talent at the top. Who knows how many picks he’d have hit on though. Buffalo’s scouting was pretty hit or miss under him (though maybe it eventually improves if he was given time with more scouting resources at his disposal).

It’s not worth putting much thought into, though. Darcy would have never made it 5 more years anyway. The fans wanted his head. No way Pegula would ride that out (unless there was some amazing drafts and significant improvement overall that turn the fans opinions). They were chanting “fire Darcy” at every game and starting online petitions for his removal. I’m sure a billboard campaign would have been next...lol. 

I wish Pegula would have at least hired a GM to replace Darcy that wanted to continue the slow rebuild through the draft. That was the plan that I was 100% sold on. 

We've changed visions 3 times since this rebuild started. We went from a slow 5 year rebuild to a guy that tried to get it done in a year & 1/2, back to a GM that wants to build slowly through the draft. 

I sure hope Botterill and Krueger end up being the right combo to get this turned around.

10 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I remember him announcing a “5 year plan” that would include “some suffering” (I don’t think anyone knew just how much...).

It does leave me slightly curious as to where we’d be right now had Darcy been able to complete that 5 year plan. He was stockpiling a s*** ton of draft picks and looking back now, those 2015 and 2016 draft look pretty damn good through the top 3 rounds (where buffalo had a ton of picks). Especially 2015. That draft was just loaded. I do give Darcy credit for deciding to tank just in time for a couple drafts with very elite talent at the top. Who knows how many picks he’d have hit on though. Buffalo’s scouting was pretty hit or miss under him (though maybe it eventually improves if he was given time with more scouting resources at his disposal).

It’s not worth putting much thought into, though. Darcy would have never made it 5 more years anyway. The fans wanted his head. No way Pegula would ride that out (unless there was some amazing drafts and significant improvement overall that turn the fans opinions). They were chanting “fire Darcy” at every game and starting online petitions for his removal. I’m sure a billboard campaign would have been next...lol. 

I wish Pegula would have at least hired a GM to replace Darcy that wanted to continue the slow rebuild through the draft. That was the plan that I was 100% sold on. 

We've changed visions 3 times since this rebuild started. We went from a slow 5 year rebuild to a guy that tried to get it done in a year & 1/2, back to a GM that wants to build slowly through the draft. 

I sure hope Botterill and Krueger end up being the right combo to get this turned around.

The Murray tenure set this franchise back. As you indicated instead of getting ahead of the process if he would have gone along with it and let it run its course this franchise would be in so much better shape. He dealt a first round pick to Ottawa for Lehner when they didn't want to keep him. That pick would now be developed enough to be a second line player. And to make matters worse the goalie was let go to succeed somewhere else that had a better situation for him. 

The Sabres have a collection of young players who may or not be ready to be ready for the NHL. Nylander, Tage, Olfafsson, Pilut and some others in the pipeline who maybe should have some upside. But that is the question. Will they be ready, and if so, when?

Last year, the GM traded for Skinner, Montour and got Pilut from free agency. It is these selective augmenting deals along with the developing young players that will create some sustainable success. Are we there yet? I don't think so. I think we need another year or so to reach the talent threshold for success.  

The ROR trade was understandable because of some underlying reasons going beyond his play. But what wasn't understandable was the paltry return for one of the best two way players in the game. This was a situation seemingly similar to the Risto situation where it makes no sense to deal a player if you can't get a reasonable return. If ROR was unhappy as it appears Risto is unhappy you don't make a deal unless you get a return that helps your team or at least doesn't damage your team. 

Because we have been so bad for so long we have been able to draft what should be our core: Reinhart, Jack, Dahlin and hopefully Cozens in a year or so. Skinner who was traded for should also be considered part of the core. Now it becomes an issue of having the fortitude to allow the young players to mature and support the core. Some people can't accept that harsh reality that it is going to take a little more time to become a serious team. In my mind there is no other way. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I agree with most of what you stated except that our current GM wants to build slowly through the draft. I'm sure that he is feeling some pressure from the owners to put out a competitive team this year. That's why he was willing to trade for Skinner who was going to be a free agent after the acquisition and also traded Guhle and a first round pick for Montour whose contract will be up after this season. I believe that he feels that he has young players and prospects who are not that far away from developing into NHL players. What's the point of dealing off these players on cheaper contracts for players who from a talent standpoint won't be better than the younger players in the next year or two. The advantage the GM has with so many younger and less costly players is that he is in a position to steal players that can immediately help us from teams that are cap stressed. That's what happened with the deal for Miller from Vegas. And I suspect (hope) that another deal or two will happen before the season starts. My point is that the strategy the  GM is now executing is the only viable strategy for this team in its current situation that will bring this team success sooner rather than later. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

A bit surprised by Elie. Not sure what he thinks he will get in arbitration. He was on a 1 year deal and played all of a dozen NHL games last season. 

Hopefully Ullmark, Rodrigues and McCabe all get done before the arbitration hearings. Those things can get ugly and I don’t want to sour the relationship between them and Buffalo (which seems to happen when players/teams actually make it to the arbitration hearings). The majority of times deals are done before the hearings though, so I’m not worried. 

One bonus, this does give the Sabres a 2nd buyout window (iirc they get a 3 day buyout window sometime later in the offseason) since they had players who elected to file for salary arbitration. Not that I really expect Botterill to use it, but at least they have the option. 

We are not the only franchise where the frustration is building over the way the organization operates. Shedding players to get draft picks and younger players for a rebuild can seem punishing to fans. And when there is a belief that the owner is not committed to winning the intensity of the reaction rises to outright anger. 

Because of the systemic losing the Sabre fan base has gotten beyond the point of anger and has arrived at the point of apathy. That is a more toxic environment for the franchise and team to deal with. The front office has to demonstrate that it is doing everything that it reasonably can to put a more competitive and entertaining team on the ice. 

https://www.si.com/nhl/2019/07/05/ottawa-senators-lisa-macleod-apologizes-confrontation-eugene-melnyk-owner

As prospects skated back and forth on the Harborcenter ice below, Ralph Krueger sat in a suite next to assistant coach Don Granato, while both peered at a laptop.

Moments later, Krueger's other assistant, goalie coach Mike Bales, joined the lengthy discussion. Krueger, less than two months on the job as the Buffalo Sabres' coach, seemed to turn the suite into a think tank during the four-day development camp.

There were long chats with the only assistant he retained from Phil Housley's staff, Steve Smith, and an extensive conversation with owners Terry and Kim Pegula at the conclusion of the 3-on-3 French Connection Tournament.

During a one-on-one interview with The Buffalo News, Krueger described the process as "very intense," yet the eternal optimist embraces the challenge of creating a winning blueprint for a playoff-starved franchise.

The 25 years of head coaching I had in the past is bubbling back up to the surface," Krueger said, beaming. "Everything is very easy and natural. I’m not coming in here with a blueprint of the past teams I’ve coached. I’m developing a new blueprint for the Buffalo Sabres today, for the roster we have, for the characters we have, for the kind of team where I see the strengths and weaknesses of the group. This blueprint will be original and will certainly have some of the elements I’ve liked, but the package will be for what I believe gives us the best chance to be a competitive team in the NHL."

I love this guy. 

Krueger then hired two assistant coaches, attended the NHL draft and spoke with potential Sabres during the one-week negotiating window before free agency. There were also extensive meetings with Botterill, the Pegulas, his coaching staff and even Bills coach Sean McDermott.

The two head coaches met twice to exchange "intellectual capital," according to Krueger, who called McDermott an invaluable "asset" for exchanging ideas. Collaborating for professional growth is among the reasons Krueger left for England, one of the lessons he hopes to apply in his return to hockey.

I called this one the day he was hired! lol

Both McDermott and Krueger are always looking to learn and grow as coaches/men. I’m glad they are using each other as resources. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I love this guy. 

I called this one the day he was hired! lol

Both McDermott and Krueger are always looking to learn and grow as coaches/men. I’m glad they are using each other as resources. 

I like everything I hear except the part where he spoke with free agents we were considering.  He certainly didn't convince any decent player to join because none did.

This is a good signing...particularly for a young team.  Mature leader with good work ethic.

David AmberVerified account @DavidAmber

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...what is your current assessment of goalie situation?......

That until we get guys willing to take out opponents in front of the net that our goalies will always be challenged.  We are softer than a Mr. Pillow.  Either the guys we have have to get tougher or we need a couple enforcers.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I like everything I hear except the part where he spoke with free agents we were considering.  He certainly didn't convince any decent player to join because none did.

It was reported that they were in on a few free agents, but the price, or term, got too high for botterill. Can’t blame Krueger for that.  And I don’t blame botterill either (like on Zuccarello, who at 32 wanted a 5th year and buffalo wouldn’t do it. Minnesota did). I don’t want any more Okposo deals hurting us when it comes time to sign Dahlin, Reinhart, etc. 

And on guys like Pavelski (who buffalo went after) it doesn’t matter what Krueger or anyone else says. Pavelski is chasing a Cup. All that mattered to him were the team’s chances of achieving that in the next 3 years. I don’t know if there’s anyone on the planet who could convince Pavelski that Buffalo is a legit cup contender for the next 3 years! lol 

Plus he hasn’t even coached a game in buffalo yet. Let’s see how free agency goes a year or two from now (and next year a ton of money comes off the books). 

Edited by BillsFan4

17 minutes ago, JoeF said:

That until we get guys willing to take out opponents in front of the net that our goalies will always be challenged.  We are softer than a Mr. Pillow.  Either the guys we have have to get tougher or we need a couple enforcers.

...sure sounds reasonable....despite other issues and refocusing, Robyn fared better with the Isles......surprised that they let him walk and he signed a one year deal with Chicago.......