Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

Just now, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Rick Jeanneret coming back for 49th season.

Well that clinches it; Risto must be traded. The potential for a Ristolainen and a Ruotsalainen in the same lineup on a game night, even if it’s just a preseason game, is just too much of a stroke risk for RJ. 

• Haha (+1) 3

8 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

John, the Sabres are desperate for a #2C until/if Mitts develops into that role. Haula played #2 on a team that went to the Cup final, potted 29 that season, makes $2.75..and the return was at best a 4th line center prospect(according to what i read) and a conditional 5th...how in the world is that not a trade the Sabres should have made. Damn, Nylander  and a 3rd and i would be saying the Sabres absolutely stole this guy..

Why are you opposed to them getting better by trade? You keep saying you want a #2c, this guy was it, and he went for nothing..this is an absolute miss by JBotts

I'm trying to give JBott the benefit of the doubt but he better execute.   The obvious concern with Haula is where he is in his recovery but you are correct that he's the kind of guy the Sabres are pretty desperate for. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

He mentions possibly adding some free agents (but didn’t say who)

We got a number of young prospects who are ready or near ready. Oloffsson, Nylander, Tage, Asplund, Borgen etc. Oloffsson is definitely ready to possibly play on the second line. Some people have given up on Nylander but I haven't. He's only 20-21 years old.  The same line of reasoning applies to Tage as to how much is he developed and is he ready to make the step up? I believe so.  I think Asplund as a third or fourth center is a year away. And the same time frame should apply to Borgen. 

Unless Risto is traded (still an open issue for me) I don't see any blockbuster trades. I see a few mid-level pickups that will change the mixture and add some spice to the roster. An irritated faction here get angry when I preach patience and allowing the process to proceed. Tough! That is the best way and the most sustaining way.  

Darren Dreger was on WGR for a 15 minute segment. He mostly talked about the free agent market. He doesn't believe that Buffalo is going to be big players on the market. He suggests that they will wait to see how the market shakes up and get involved in the secondary market. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/06-28-tsns-darren-dreger-instigators

30 minutes ago, JohnC said:

We got a number of young prospects who are ready or near ready. Oloffsson, Nylander, Tage, Asplund, Borgen etc. Oloffsson is definitely ready to possibly play on the second line. Some people have given up on Nylander but I haven't. He's only 20-21 years old.  The same line of reasoning applies to Tage as to how much is he developed and is he ready to make the step up? I believe so.  I think Asplund as a third or fourth center is a year away. And the same time frame should apply to Borgen. 

Unless Risto is traded (still an open issue for me) I don't see any blockbuster trades. I see a few mid-level pickups that will change the mixture and add some spice to the roster. An irritated faction here get angry when I preach patience and allowing the process to proceed. Tough! That is the best way and the most sustaining way.  

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Darren Dreger was on WGR for a 15 minute segment. He mostly talked about the free agent market. He doesn't believe that Buffalo is going to be big players on the market. He suggests that they will wait to see how the market shakes up and get involved in the secondary market. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/06-28-tsns-darren-dreger-instigators

We aren’t going to attract any big name free agents with where were at. Buffalo was never a free agent destination, but that’s even more true right now. 

I think the best best we can hope for are the second tier guys like Zuccarello (hopefully the Krueger connection helps!), Donskoi, Boyle, Dzingel, Stralman, etc., and even most of those guys are probably a long shot without offering more term/money than other teams. We can offer a bigger role to someone like Donskoi, maybe that’s attractive to him? 

The more more I see this offseason playing out, the more I think that Botterill may not do anything too drastic. I am sure he will at the very least add some depth players. But He may want to see how some of these players look under Ralph Krueger before doing anything drastic, and he may be partially banking on Krueger (and the growth of our young players) making Buffalo a more attractive player destination once he’s given a season to get things on the right track. That could also apply to our own players that may be getting sick of the constant losing and want out, like Risto.

Botts may also want to leave room for a couple of the young players (like Olofsson, Tage, Nylander if he’s still here, Smith, etc) to make the team. 

I’m just speculating. It’s way too early to start judging Botterill’s offseason plan, anyway. As Krueger mentioned, free agency hasn’t even officially started yet. There’s still plenty of time for moves to be made. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

We aren’t going to attract any big name free agents with where were at. Buffalo was never a free agent destination, but that’s even more true right now. 

I think the best best we can hope for are the second tier guys like Zuccarello (hopefully the Krueger connection helps!), Donskoi, Boyle, Dzingel, Stralman, etc., and even most of those guys are probably a long shot without offering more term/money than other teams. We can offer a bigger role to someone like Donskoi, maybe that’s attractive to him? 

The more more I see this offseason playing out, the more I think that Botterill may not do anything too drastic. I am sure he will at the very least add some depth players. But He may want to see how some of these players look under Ralph Krueger before doing anything drastic, and he may be partially banking on Krueger (and the growth of our young players) making Buffalo a more attractive player destination once he’s given a season to get things on the right track. That could also apply to our own players that may be getting sick of the constant losing and want out, like Risto.

Botts may also want to leave room for a couple of the young players (like Olofsson, Tage, Nylander if he’s still here, Smith, etc) to make the team. 

I’m just speculating. It’s way too early to start judging Botterill’s offseason plan, anyway. As Krueger mentioned, free agency hasn’t even officially started yet. There’s still plenty of time for moves to be made. 

If Plezmd1 reads your post he will be fuming and add you to his shiiit list. I am already privileged to be on that stinky list.  In general your views coincide with mine.  

This is pretty damn cool -

gives you a much better idea of what players actually make.

For example, on Eichel’s $10M per year deal, when all is said and done he takes home $5,216,534.  That’s less than I expected.

Vellucci says he’s leaving for a great opportunity for his career (I think money is the more likely reason. Rumor has it that Dundon asked the coaches (and possibly some front office members) to take pay cuts). 

I would LOVE for buffalo to hire this guy in some capacity. I thought he might be a guy that Krueger looked to add to his coaching staff, but I don’t think he’s adding anyone else. He would have fit that “tactician” role very well. 

Ill be interested to see where he lands. Hopefully not Toronto...  

12 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

sorry, we get Miller from VGK

Good job Jbots!!!!!!

This has to be a precursor to a Risto deal. The GM is determined to put together a credible second line to spread out the scoring. The stage is being set tp add a second line player with Risto being the currency to get that done. 

I would be interested in some of our experts here who could give an abbreviated sketch of this player. Is he a genuine second pairing defenseman or more of a third pairing type of player? 

Edited by JohnC

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This has to be a precursor to a Risto deal. The GM is determined to put together a credible second line to spread out the scoring. The stage is being set tp add a second line player with Risto being the currency to get that done. 

could of had him already......without giving up a top 4 D?

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

could of had him already......without giving up a top 4 D?

The mistake you are making is that the player you targeted as a second line player is not the player that the GM is targeting. He might be after a bigger dog that has  healthier legs . :) 

Edited by JohnC
spelling