Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

If Winnipeg called and offered a trade of Ehlers for Risto would you take it? 

In a heartbeat. Doubt they’d do that though as they are every bit as scoring challenged as we are. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, shrader said:

I'd be somewhat reluctant about your second deal because of the net loss of 2 bodies on the blue line.  I'm not sure they're ready to absorb that kind of loss this year.  That type of move signifies a move for the future, but I'd much rather have any Risto trade being for today.  Sure, you get Ehlers today, but I don't think this season can absorb that subtraction on the blue line.

I get what you’re saying. I just figured that Pilut could step into scandella’s spot. I don’t at all care whether a trade included Perreault though. I’d be perfectly happy with Ehlers for Ristolainen. I’m not crazy about Perreault’s contract anyway. 

The Sabres will have to move, or waive, someone when Scandella comes back. If they can’t get a Risto trade worked out, I’m wondering if Scandella could be the player moved being he’s a UFA at years end and I read that there was some supposed interest in him.  

And I’m not sure what they plan to do when (or if?) Bogosian comes back.

As far as Risto, I really only want to move him if a player like Ehlers is coming the other way. No picks and prospects unless the prospect is a top tier, can’t miss type (like when Montreal traded Sergachev, their recent top 10 pick. But those trades are rare). 

5 hours ago, shrader said:

I'd be somewhat reluctant about your second deal because of the net loss of 2 bodies on the blue line.  I'm not sure they're ready to absorb that kind of loss this year.  That type of move signifies a move for the future, but I'd much rather have any Risto trade being for today.  Sure, you get Ehlers today, but I don't think this season can absorb that subtraction on the blue line.

If Scandella and Risto were traded for Ehlers the Sabres still have some depth to fill the void. Borgen, Gilmore and Pilot could be considered as options, and it is expected that Bogo will be back some time this season. Will the proposed Winnipeg trade translate into a deficit deal for the blue line? Probably so. But the trade-off would be acquiring an accomplished goal scorer for an impotent offensive team.  Adding a reliable scorer at the expense of the defense when everything is calculated will result in a more balanced roster for a currently unbalanced roster. 

Edited by JohnC

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

I'm not surprised with anything you said about him from an insider view. The problem is that the some of the views that were outlandish a generation or so ago are doubly so outlandish in a world that is constantly changing. The world evolves and some people are so stuck in the past that they can't adjust to the new realities of life. I'm not suggesting that he is a bad guy or has bad intentions but I am saying that these types of troglodytes are a bore and are tiresome. 

Are you honestly saying that showing respect for fallen soldiers is an outlandish viewpoint?  

He was inarticulate and brash as always but he didn't say anything direct other than people should wear poppies.  Do I think people should be forced or coerced into that? No.  But it is hardly an outlandish viewpoint for an individual to to think people should wear one or that it is the right thing to do.

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I get what you’re saying. I just figured that Pilut could step into scandella’s spot. I don’t at all care whether a trade included Perreault though. I’d be perfectly happy with Ehlers for Ristolainen. I’m not crazy about Perreault’s contract anyway. 

The Sabres will have to move, or waive, someone when Scandella comes back. If they can’t get a Risto trade worked out, I’m wondering if Scandella could be the player moved being he’s a UFA at years end and I read that there was some supposed interest in him.  

And I’m not sure what they plan to do when (or if?) Bogosian comes back.

As far as Risto, I really only want to move him if a player like Ehlers is coming the other way. No picks and prospects unless the prospect is a top tier, can’t miss type (like when Montreal traded Sergachev, their recent top 10 pick. But those trades are rare). 

Well I’d consider trading Montour if he’s got any value. I hate his game. If anything (and I’m mostly serious) maybe they can send him to Rochester for half a season to convert him into a RW. 

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

That other guy nodded his head.  We must get outraged and have him fired as well.  Then Canada can have Trudeau hand pick the successors since he has never done anything racist.

I hadn't seen the actual clip until right before I posted it there (there is also recent footage of Cherry talking about poppies in Canadian war cemetery in Europe and I thought I heard him say he is involved in the whole poppy wearing thing) and didn't know how much MacLean was nodding - I saw his apology Sunday, though, which seems to contradict all the nodding (allowing it?) 

12 minutes ago, bbb said:

I hadn't seen the actual clip until right before I posted it there (there is also recent footage of Cherry talking about poppies in Canadian war cemetery in Europe and I thought I heard him say he is involved in the whole poppy wearing thing) and didn't know how much MacLean was nodding - I saw his apology Sunday, though, which seems to contradict all the nodding (allowing it?) 

Well that guy is a 70 year old punk.

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yes. He is a sure thing. He’s a top 6 forward right now, maybe even top line. He drives play. He’s young (a year younger than Risto iirc) and he’s under a nice contract ($6M cap hit) for 5 more seasons after this one. 

Ehlers is one of the players I’ve desired in return for Ristolainen for a while now (Mantha being another). 

Buffalo would have to send more cap back to make the trade work though (not much). 

I’d even consider expanding the trade to include Scandella for Perreault or something along those lines. Not crazy about there being 1 more year on Perreault’s contract, especially at a $4M cap hit but he would add a versatile mid line presence (he can play C and W) and depth scoring (usually good for 15-ish goals a year). And that would fill 2 huge holes on Winnipeg’s blue line. Could be a win-win. 

I just don't think that either Pilut or Borgen are ready yet.  And I don't want to count on Bogosian for anything and don't believe that we can.  Any move probably would be made with the future in mind, it pretty much has to be at this point, but I'm so sick of being stuck in that step.

12 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Well that guy is a 70 year old punk.

I know it's hard to believe after watching that video, but MacLean is only 59.  Working with Cherry for so long has apparently aged him quite a bit.

And on another note, I know why it was setup that way and that the change is coming very soon, but this recent stretch of the scheduling has absolutely sucked.  That paired with the crappy results is a great way to kill interest in a team.

On 11/12/2019 at 1:26 PM, shrader said:

I wonder if people are actually surprised by this.  The guy has been showing this breed of crazy on TV for close to 40 years.  He didn't just suddenly become that way one day.

He hasn't changed in 40 yrs.. On the other hand the audience has changed over that period. 

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

My takeaway is that he is going to work with what he has. He has a belief in his system and his ability to get the players to buy in. For him it is a process. Will the GM get him help from the trade market? If he doesn't alter the bland mix of players I'm afraid that the stagnation will continue. This team needs a jolt!  

Love Don Cherry!  I usually catch up with a bunch of Coach's Corners in a row as they are all posted on Youtube.

Don't particularly agree with some of his politics but I don't watch him for political opinions.  I watch him for what he says about hockey and agree with many of his hockey takes.  

I’m not feeling too great about this Carolina game tonight. The Sabres usually seem to struggle against Carolina and the canes have looked pretty damn good so far this season. 

Buffalo should (hopefully) be pretty desperate to get a win. So I’m keeping my fingers crossed that we see them get back to playing the way they were to start the season.  

38 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’m not feeling too great about this Carolina game tonight. The Sabres usually seem to struggle against Carolina and the canes have looked pretty damn good so far this season. 

Buffalo should (hopefully) be pretty desperate to get a win. So I’m keeping my fingers crossed that we see them get back to playing the way they were to start the season.  

so, 90 is out tonight, Erod playing center, Goal-less-on still with #9, Miller taking a seat while McCabe continues to play like doodoo.....oy vey.

.to soon to be questioning ole Freddy?

On 11/13/2019 at 10:41 AM, shrader said:

And on another note, I know why it was setup that way and that the change is coming very soon, but this recent stretch of the scheduling has absolutely sucked.  That paired with the crappy results is a great way to kill interest in a team.

sucks, really been almost three weeks since i have seen the Sabres play a game in North America..Feels like this season has already ended..and about a week a half earlier than  my normal "lets start focusing on prospects at Thanksgiving " mode

Edited by plenzmd1

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

so, 90 is out tonight, Erod playing center, Goal-less-on still with #9, Miller taking a seat while McCabe continues to play like doodoo.....oy vey.

.to soon to be questioning ole Freddy?

sucks, really been almost three weeks since i have seen the Sabres play a game in North America..Feels like this season has already ended..and about a week a half earlier than  my normal "lets start focusing on prospects at Thanksgiving " mode

Yikes. Now I feel even worse about their chances tonight. 

Just goes to show how serious the lack of depth is on this team. 1 guys out in the top 6 and things suddenly feel dire...

Johansson isn’t exactly known for staying healthy either. Hopefully this is just a short term injury. 

There isn’t much down in rochester either, at least when looking for a potential top 6 forward to fill in for Johansson. There’s really nothing at center and pretty much only Tage Thompson at wing. Thankfully Cousins is looking great in juniors.

As far as Krueger, yes it’s too early for me to start questioning him.

I actually thought Miller has struggled recently, And Scandella/Joker was the team’s best defensive pairing before Scandella’s injury. Plus, McCabe brings a different element to the roster than Miller. We have more d men like Miller than the physical type like McCabe. So I can see the reasons behind the decision. 

But i was really excited when Krueger was hired and i’m never one who worries a ton over lineup decisions (for the most part) anyway, so I’m not the best to answer on stuff like this. I tend to find reasons to just go with the decision and support the coach. 

There’s so much that goes into these roster moves that we fans don’t get to see. Like the Joker decision for ex. From what we saw in preseason games he didn’t look all that good. I was questioning the decision to keep him and wondering if it had anything to do with Nylander making the Hawks our of camp. But obviously Jokiharju must have been doing much better in practices than in those preseason games because as soon as the regular season started we all saw exactly why he made the team over Casey Nelson (who has to pass through waivers).

At the very least I’d like to see what Krueger does next season when Botterill will hopefully be forced to make some real changes to this team. A good chunk of cap space opens up and so do quite a few roster spots. I kind of feel like Krueger (or any coach) was set up to fail this year. It’s the same failed team of last year minus Pominville (plus Johansson/Vesey/Joker). Though if by the end of the year they end up looking as inept as last season, it’ll be hard not to question Krueger at least a little. 

But I feel like we’ve already seen what Krueger wants the team to look/play like and it’s better than anything we ever saw from Housley. And I feel like at some point we need to stop cycling coaches and start getting rid of the players that have continued to struggle under every coach we hire. 

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Don't despair. I'm guaranteeing a victory tonight. Not because we have a better team but as you stated because we are a more desperate team. That will be a big factor in an effort sport. 

There's no hiding the obvious fact that there is not enough scoring talent spread around the lines. There is no quick fix because the solution is bringing in outside help. And not many teams are willing to give up top two line forwards who can score. Too many here (including me) believed that trading Risto would resolve our most critical issue of a lack of goal scorers. I'm not sure that what he will bring back in a deal will be sufficient to address the scoring issue. Just maybe his value on the market is not as great as many of us believe it to be? 

One of our biggest disappointments is the play of Mittelstadt. He, a first round pick, not being productive is a disappointment. I still believe that he will eventually be a good player. although not as good as Cozens will be. It's just going to take more time. 

This team is clearly a better coached team. But the primary negating issue is still the talent level. There is no quick fix, and there never was one. I believe that next year more so than this year will be our bump up year. So keep your chin up! ?