Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

8 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://theathletic.com/1447038/2019/12/10/gluttons-for-punishment-seven-first-year-coaches-discuss-buzz-challenge-of-new-gigs/

Gluttons for punishment: Seven first-year coaches discuss buzz, challenge of new gigs (Athletic sub. required)

This is a really interesting read. 

Here’s some of Krueger’s answers:

I love the answer in bold. 

This job was/is definitely a heavy lift. Lets be honest, it’s right up there with Edmonton as one of the toughest coaching jobs in the entire NHL. 

I feel like the Sabres have never really been able to fully recovered from the tank years and the losing culture that developed because of it. For all the good it did in bringing us our stars like Eichel and Dahlin, it dug Buffalo a heck of a hole. The team was torn down to the studs in a very short amount of time. It was almost totally stripped of any veteran leadership and any semblance of a winning culture Buffalo once had left with them. I think that’s why you see many team keep some of their veteran players around through a rebuild (Pominville, for ex., would’ve been a great guy to keep). 

I feel pretty safe saying that the rebuild strategy wasn’t executed all that well... ?

Anyway... my only real point is that there is a lot of baggage that comes along with this team. 

I don't think it was realistic to expect Ralph Krueger to solve all of the sabres issues in 30 games. 

November was brutal. I almost checked out. But I’m feeling hopeful again lately. The Sabres have been trending in the right direction lately. I just hope it continues. I’m sure they’ll be more bumps, but hopefully they won’t last nearly a month...

Somehow, Buffalo is 2nd in the division. So they’re still in the race!

That losing streak was different from last year's losing streak that revealed a malaise. The slumping body language of the players indicated a loss of hope and belief that this team could find its way out. That wasn't the case this year. In the ten game streak I recall that we played three highly competitive games against Boston and Tampa. (I still contend that the Boston game that was our best game of the season.) Although we did lose there was no evidence that the team was mentally fragile or that it lost its confidence. Of course there were a couple of games like the home Minnesota game where the team simply stunk. But in a long and grinding season with so much exhausting travel you are going to have those types of dud games. 

I'm not sure if it was Okposo or Jack or Skinner who said that even during the losing streak this team was practicing hard and working to get better. This wasn't a psychologically scarred and frustrated team that was turning on itself.  It was continuing to work hard in practice to work itself out of this onerous slump. 

My point is that this team has a much tougher makeup compared to last year's team. There is an attention to detail that previous teams didn't have . Even Risto, one of the least cerebral players, is playing a much simpler and smarter game. It's not just about the talent level. Krueger is establishing an environment and climate that didn't exist last year. And it is evident when watching the games. 

• Like (+1) 1

More Galchenyuk rumors. Said the price on Galchenyuk is not as high as you’d think for a former #3 overall pick. He said he thinks the price is very reasonable, but he didn’t know if both teams could get the cap situation figured out (Pittsburgh May not want to take back salary and Buffalo needs to send salary in any trade).

????    ?

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

More Galchenyuk rumors. Said the price on Galchenyuk is not as high as you’d think for a former #3 overall pick. He said he thinks the price is very reasonable, but he didn’t know if both teams could get the cap situation figured out (Pittsburgh May not want to take back salary and Buffalo needs to send salary in any trade).

????    ?

Much to the displeasure of @plenzmd1I would prefer not to exchange Scandella for Galenyyuk. Scandella is not only playing well for us but he is versatile enough to comfortably be paired with any defensemen on the team. The player I would like to ship out in a swap would be Bogo. He is in the last year of his contract and the numbers fit for a swap. Bogo is a high character guy and very respected in the locker room. However, injuries have taken a toll on him where he is now a shadow of what he once was. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/buffalo-sabres/zach-bogosian-4819/

2 hours ago, eball said:

Turning KeyBank into The Aud for tonight is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

What would make this "Aud" night even more authentic is olden Aud beer and hot dog prices. ?

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Much to the displeasure of @plenzmd1I would prefer not to exchange Scandella for Galenyyuk. Scandella is not only playing well for us but he is versatile enough to comfortably be paired with any defensemen on the team. The player I would like to ship out in a swap would be Bogo. He is in the last year of his contract and the numbers fit for a swap. Bogo is a high character guy and very respected in the locker room. However, injuries have taken a toll on him where he is now a shadow of what he once was. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/buffalo-sabres/zach-bogosian-4819/

What would make this "Aud" night even more authentic is olden Aud beer and hot dog prices. ?

I have no issues with Scandella and his play this year, but still would rather see Pilut playing than Scandella. Bots has an excess of D men, the whole league knows it, he is not going to get a top 6 guy for any of them. Of course you want to trade Bogo, he stinks and is expensive. Ya think guys who evaluate hockey talent for a living don’t see the same things? 

I would trade Bogo for a conditional 6 th in 2023, forget an actual NHL caliber player, that ain’t happening. 

2 hours ago, eball said:

Turning KeyBank into The Aud for tonight is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

What have they done besides drape colored shirts over the seats to match the seating colors from the Aud? Are they going to make it smell old and musty? Are they going to add some viewing obstructions and tvs in areas where you can't see the full ice at the Aud?

If only the Pegulas and Buffalo had waited a few years to create 'Harbour Centre' they could have actually played the game in what was left of the Aud........ 

13 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I have no issues with Scandella and his play this year, but still would rather see Pilut playing than Scandella. Bots has an excess of D men, the whole league knows it, he is not going to get a top 6 guy for any of them. Of course you want to trade Bogo, he stinks and is expensive. Ya think guys who evaluate hockey talent for a living don’t see the same things? 

I would trade Bogo for a conditional 6 th in 2023, forget an actual NHL caliber player, that ain’t happening. 

I have little expectation of getting a top six forward for any of the defensemen that we would be offering. Within that response there is an assumption that Risto will not be dealt. Montour and Risto have value but I don't think the organization wants to move them. Dahlin is untouchable. McCabe has value but I'm not sure that he will return a second line forward. 

You are a critic of Risto while I am not. As the season has unfolded it seems that Risto has become a favorite of Krueger who goes to him at the end of the game situations. This excess of defensemen that has you so unsettled will work itself out. In my more patient view it is not a problem. 

Edited by JohnC

15 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

What have they done besides drape colored shirts over the seats to match the seating colors from the Aud? Are they going to make it smell old and musty? Are they going to add some viewing obstructions and tvs in areas where you can't see the full ice at the Aud?

If only the Pegulas and Buffalo had waited a few years to create 'Harbour Centre' they could have actually played the game in what was left of the Aud........ 

I only remember the TVs for those who couldn't see the scoreboard - not the ice 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bbb said:

I only remember the TVs for those who couldn't see the scoreboard - not the ice 

Same here. There were no obstructed views of the ice from any seat in the Aud, even in the last row of blues under the overhanging oranges. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 goals for Eichel! 

15 game point streak. And I believe that moves him into 2nd (past Ovechkin) in the entire NHL in goals scored. And I believe it moved him from 7th to 5th in points. 

And of course as i’m typing this, Nashville scores.

Edited by BillsFan4

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

2 goals for Eichel! 

15 game point streak. And I believe that moves him into 2nd (past Ovechkin) in the entire NHL in goals scored. And I believe it moved him from 7th to 5th in points. 

And of course as i’m typing this, Nashville scores.

Goalofson with the winner. This team is turning it up.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, K-9 said:

That was a thoroughly enjoyable game. Three in a row over two division leaders and one that is threatening the division leader we just beat. Nice.

What makes those three last wins against upper echelon teams even more meaningful is that we won games in which the opposition played well. That is a good measuring stick. As you keenly observed not only have we been winning with greater frequency but this team is also entertaining. 

Some observations about this game:

The Okposo-Larsson-Gergs line was the most stellar line.

Ullmark not only has secured the #1 goalie position but he seems to get better each game. This season he is playing more calmly and more efficiently.

Risto played really well in this game. I don't want to trade him even for a second line forward. He is playing more smartly and making good decisions about when to and not to make a play.

Olofsson is less of a perimeter player and more active in moving around looking for the good spots. He is a quick and lethal shooter.

Jack is great. 

The forechecking and stick work was superb.

The play of the game had nothing to do with our goals. It was Jack at our open net using his stick to stymie I believe Forsberg who had an open net.

Coaching mattes.  

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What makes those three last wins against upper echelon teams even more meaningful is that we won games in which the opposition played well. That is a good measuring stick. As you keenly observed not only have we been winning with greater frequency but this team is also being entertaining. 

Some observations about this game:

The Okposo-Larsson-Gergs line was the most stellar line.

Ullmark not only has secured the #1 goalie position but he seems to get better each game. This season he is playing more calmly and more efficiently.

Risto played really well in this game. I don't want to trade him even for a second line forward. He is playing more smartly and making good decisions about when to and not to make a play.

Olofsson is less of a perimeter player and more active in moving around looking for the good spots. He is a quick and lethal shooter.

Jack is great. 

The forechecking and stick work was superb.

The play of the game had nothing to do with our goals. It was Jack at our open net using his stick to stymie I believe Forsberg who had an open net.

Coaching mattes.  

It was a good game but I'm sorry, despite the terrific defensive play, his short side goal tying it 2-2 was the play of the game in 99.9% of any NHL game.  Filthy.

• Like (+1) 1

The attached link is a five minute recap of the game taken from the NHL site. 

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/nsh-vs-buf/2019/12/12/2019020487#game=2019020487,game_state=final

The below link is the standings after this game taken from the NHL site. 

https://www.nhl.com/standings/2019/conference

The attached link is Ralph Krueger's post game comments on WGR.

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/12-12-victor-olofsson-post-game

Edited by JohnC

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

It was a good game but I'm sorry, despite the terrific defensive play, his short side goal tying it 2-2 was the play of the game in 99.9% of any NHL game.  Filthy.

There aren’t many players that can take and make that shot like he did.