Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

17 minutes ago, K-9 said:

So, who does ERod replace in the lineup on Wednesday? I think it comes down to Sobotka or Vesey. 

In the lines this morning it was Sheary I think. 

Methinks the OT should start with Jack and Olofsson. Then you can go with Reinhart centering Skinner. And then Mojo with Vesey or Sheary. 

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

In the first three games the one player who has surprised me and caught my attention is Jokiharju. I didn't realize how good he is. He's 20 yrs old yet plays with a veteran's poise. He is a good skater but what sets him apart is his passing and composure. He never seems rushed yet he is quick to move the puck up the ice. The GM did well trading Nylander for him. I hope Nylander does well in Chicago but in the exchange the Sabres come out on the plus side.

The addition of Colin Miller also was a good pickup by the GM. When Montour returns this very solid unit will even get better. Will Miller continue to be paired with Dahlin or will Montour be part of the top pairing? I don't know but there is good depth and plenty of options in putting together the pairings.  

Yeah, so far I was dead wrong about Joker not looking ready.

I really didn’t think he looked ready in the preseason, though. He looked overmatched in his own zone and you weren’t seeing this smooth transition ability he’s known for that we are seeing now.

But it just goes to show that we fans only see a small portion of what goes into these roster decisions. He must have been playing pretty well in practices and he’s sure looked pretty good so far in the games. 

As far as Nylander, I wish him well too. I fully expect that he could put up 20+ goals this season playing along side Patrick Kane. But even if he does, I expect that he will always be one of those maddening, inconsistent players that you KNOW damn well can give more on the ice. A player that disappears for (sometimes long) stretches and doesn’t contribute much else if he’s not adding offense. Who knows, he’s young. His work ethic and willingness to win puck battles could improve. But I wouldn’t bet on it. 

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I really didn’t think he looked ready in the preseason, though. He looked overmatched in his own zone and you weren’t seeing this smooth transition ability he’s known for that we are seeing now.

But it just goes to show that we fans only see a small portion of what goes into these roster decisions. He must have been playing pretty well in practices and he’s sure looked pretty good so far in the games. 

I thought Jokiharju looked awful in preaseason, too. Very surprised and happy with his heady, steady play. He can really skate and pass.

Didn't at all like him on the first OT threesome though, even though they eventually controlled the puck most of the time.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

As far as Nylander, I wish him well too. I fully expect that he could put up 20+ goals this season playing along side Patrick Kane. But even if he does, I expect that he will always be one of those maddening, inconsistent players that you KNOW damn well can give more on the ice. A player that disappears for (sometimes long) stretches and doesn’t contribute much else if he’s not adding offense. Who knows, he’s young. His work ethic and willingness to win puck battles could improve. But I wouldn’t bet on it. 

I think the issue with Nylander is that he simply doesn't have the competitive personality/makeup where he will consistently play with intensity. He can episodically tantalize you with the impressive skilled play that will make you give him more time to come around. But something intrinsically is lacking. When you watch a player such as Skinner there is an intensity to his game that isn't induced by the coaches or his peers. It is an internal drive that can't be manufactured by outside influences. There comes a point where you have to trust your eyes. In the AHL Nylander had his lull spells that had to be addressed by his coaches. At the NHL level that type of languid play will be exposed and make you a liability as a player. I'm sure Nylander is trying hard. But in the end you are who you are. I'm glad that the GM made the trade to get Joki. 

Over the past year the GM has made deals to bring in Montour, Joki and Miller to rebuild the defensive unit. What he gave up to acquire these players was miniscule. The GM should be saluted for what he has accomplished in addressing that unit. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

What makes Krueger intriguing and special is not his elite intelligence. There are plenty of smart people in the world. What separates him from that elite intellectual segment is his ability to interact act with different people and come up with an approach to make that individual the best that he can be. That human and psychological talent is an inherent quality that not many people.

Another impressive attribute that RK has is his natural commanding presence. It certainly isn't based on bluster and bravado like a Tortorella. (Not criticizing Torts, just contrasting style with RK.) In his own inimitable way Krueger is a very demanding coach but will exhibit it in a less excitable way.   

This guy is captivating to listen to. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What makes Krueger intriguing and special is not his elite intelligence. There are plenty of smart people in the world. What separates him from that elite intellectual segment is his ability to interact act with different people and come up with an approach to make that individual the best that he can be. That human and psychological talent is an inherent quality that not many people.

Another impressive attribute that RK has is his natural commanding presence. It certainly isn't based on bluster and bravado like a Tortorella. (Not criticizing Torts, just contrasting style with RK.) In his own inimitable way Krueger is a very demanding coach but will exhibit it in a less excitable way.   

This guy is captivating to listen to.

That really was a great interview. I find so many of his interviews fascinating to listen to. 

Agree with everything, especially the bolded text. That’s another reason I thought/think he might be a good fit. He’s an extremely knowledgeable hockey mind first and foremost. But he’s also somewhat of a sports psychologist and motivational speaker, and he knows how to reach people. Those traits aren’t something every coach has and Buffalo almost had a bit of a unique need for someone like that. Someone that could help repair the damage from tanking+years of losing. You can see it’s taken a toll on the players. I truly believe they are dying to win and just looking for someone to lay out a path they can really believe in and I’m very hopeful Krueger is doing that. 

I have a tendency to get a bit too excited about the Bills/Sabres at times (like Housley during the winter streak last year...) so I’m trying to take a more patient, wait and see approach to this season. But this is the most hopeful I’ve been about the Sabres in quite some time. 

8 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

That really was a great interview. I find so many of his interviews fascinating to listen to. 

Agree with everything, especially the bolded text. That’s another reason I thought/think he might be a good fit. He’s an extremely knowledgeable hockey mind first and foremost. But he’s also somewhat of a sports psychologist and motivational speaker, and he knows how to reach people. Those traits aren’t something every coach has and Buffalo almost had a bit of a unique need for someone like that. Someone that could help repair the damage from tanking+years of losing. You can see it’s taken a toll on the players. I truly believe they are dying to win and just looking for someone to lay out a path they can really believe in and I’m very hopeful Krueger is doing that. 

I have a tendency to get a bit too excited about the Bills/Sabres at times (like Housley during the winter streak last year...) so I’m trying to take a more patient, wait and see approach to this season. But this is the most hopeful I’ve been about the Sabres in quite some time. 

Ea

A well thought out and stated post.

We both agree that Krueger is a quantum leap up from the previous staffs. But I still contend that what distinguishes this year from last year beyond the coaching change is the addition of talent. Compared to last year this roster is upgraded. The additions of Johansson, Vesey, Miller, Joki, Olofsson (consider him an addition) added to the more experienced Mitts and Dahlin have elevated this team. 

This isn't a mutually exclusive argument between the effect of the new coach vs the added talent. Each side of this equation reinforces the other side of the equation. The organization has more talent and depth in the system than it did a few years ago. In the end talent prevails when properly led. I still believe that we are a year or two away from being a serious team. Some people snicker when I say it but the trajectory is up. What is even more enjoyable is not only is the team better but it is also more entertaining. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think RK gets more out of last season's roster than Housely.  Phil just didn't know how to be a head coach, which isn't much of a surprise because he's never been one.  I don't know how many head coaches with zero head coaching experience have been successful at the professional level.  The only one I can think of is Aaron Boone but I haven't done any research on the subject.

And I just wanna add that our power play is currently ridiculous.

15 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I think RK gets more out of last season's roster than Housely.  Phil just didn't know how to be a head coach, which isn't much of a surprise because he's never been one.  I don't know how many head coaches with zero head coaching experience have been successful at the professional level.  The only one I can think of is Aaron Boone but I haven't done any research on the subject.

I think it's a bit harsh when it comes to Housley.  He was a good coach at the high school level and developmental levels.  Some guys are made for that level.  I hope that's what he is and he finds his way back there.  He still has a contribution to be made as a head coach.

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

It's obvious that Krueger is a better coach than Housley and would have gotten more out of that lacking roster. But if Krueger was working with the same roster this year and with the same younger players that played last year there is a ceiling that he could have gotten out of that unit. I don't care how much of a wizard coach RK is he would not have gotten that lackluster team to the playoffs. 

As I have repeatedly said in prior posts the talent vs coaching argument is not a mutually exclusive argument. Each side of the equation reinforces the other side. Will RK lead this roster to the playoffs? Maybe? But for this team to be a seriously contending team it needs additional talent added to the roster. Although Ralph is good coach he isn't a magician. 

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

It's obvious that Krueger is a better coach than Housley and would have gotten more out of that lacking roster. But if Krueger was working with the same roster this year and with the same younger players that played last year there is a ceiling that he could have gotten out of that unit. I don't care how much of a wizard coach RK is he would not have gotten that lackluster team to the playoffs. 

As I have repeatedly said in prior posts the talent vs coaching argument is not a mutually exclusive argument. Each side of the equation reinforces the other side. Will RK lead this roster to the playoffs? Maybe? But for this team to be a seriously contending team it needs additional talent added to the roster. Although Ralph is good coach he isn't a magician. 

I didn't say anything about playoffs...

That being said,  every year with bad coaching is a year where players pick up bad habits that have to be undone.   This is especially true with young players.   Coaching matters.   

1 minute ago, Alaska Darin said:

I didn't say anything about playoffs...

That begging said,  every year with bad coaching is a year where players pick up bad habits that have to be undone.   This is especially true with young players.   Coaching matters.   

Who said that coaching didn't matter? What I have repeatedly said is that last year's roster was very deficient. At least to me it was blatantly obvious. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Who said that coaching didn't matter? What I have repeatedly said is that last year's roster was very deficient. At least to me it was blatantly obvious. 

Easy dude.   I knows a bunch of people have engaged you unfairly.   No reason to be defensive.