Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm making a trade proposal: Nylander and Risto for Boqvist and Vatenen. What say you? I won't ask Plezmd1 his opinion because he is against everything I am for and for everything I am against. He is a recalcitrant. :ph34r:

Um, no.

its a good thing I’m not Shero.

????

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm making a trade proposal: Nylander and Risto for Boqvist and Vatenen. What say you? I won't ask Plezmd1 his opinion because he is against everything I am for and for everything I am against. He is a recalcitrant. :ph34r:

only when you are wrong..so almost 100% of the time?

In this case, I agree. I have been off the Risto train for a long long time..going back to the 2nd year under Disco Dan when i really starting getting into advanced numbers. His possession rates and and his Corsi for and against were apparent back then..i distinctly remember the fellas wining like 3 of 4 games he was injured and did not play...was not a coincidence.

But in the "who says no" in that trade scenario...it is clearly NJ...throw in next years #1..maybe closer

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

In this case, I agree. I have been off the Risto train for a long long time..going back to the 2nd year under Disco Dan when i really starting getting into advanced numbers. His possession rates and and his Corsi for and against were apparent back then..i distinctly remember the fellas wining like 3 of 4 games he was injured and did not play...was not a coincidence.

But in the "who says no" in that trade scenario...it is clearly NJ...throw in next years #1..maybe closer

I won't harass you because I am a person of empathy and compassion. I have the feeling that you are going to be in a constant state of despair this hockey season. If you are the type who believes that drinking will ameliorate your dark moods then prepare yourself for a constant state of drunkenness. :)

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Greg Wyshynski of ESPN was on WGR. This is a 15 minute segment. It focused on potential trades and acquisitions for the Sabres. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/06-26-espns-greg-wyshynski-howard-and-jeremy

Hard pass from me. The minimum coming back has to be a proven top six winger with scoring ability. Risto is a commodity; a RD in his early prime at 25 years of age with proven offensive skills who plays a tough, physical style on the back end. Vatenen is not that and Boqvist doesn't qualify as proven. 

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Hard pass from me. The minimum coming back has to be a proven top six winger with scoring ability. Risto is a commodity; a RD in his early prime at 25 years of age with proven offensive skills who plays a tough, physical style on the back end. Vatenen is not that and Boqvist doesn't qualify as proven. 

On the Risto issue I am ambiguous. Risto has a lot of physical abilities but are they undercut by his mental grasp of the game. I'm both open-minded and confused. I hate to say it but I have become an equivocator. I am sad about that. 

17 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Would throwing in a second round pick satisfy you? 

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

On the Risto issue I am ambiguous. Risto has a lot of physical abilities but are they undercut by his mental grasp of the game. I'm both open-minded and confused. I hate to say it but I have become an equivocator. I am sad about that. 

i would prefer no picks obviously, but i would throw in a 1 if it took that. I like Vatanen i think more than @K-9 does ...Risto does have some offensive skills but the other team is still expected to score more.when he is on the ice 5v5

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

No doubt. And I can understand why you might sit on the fence. I'll just say that losing Risto hurts us more than acquiring Vatenen and Boqvist helps us at this time. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

i would prefer no picks obviously, but i would throw in a 1 if it took that. I like Vatanen i think more than @K-9 does ...Risto does have some offensive skills but the other team is still expected to score more.when he is on the ice 5v5

We have a lot of players with poor 5v5 numbers that don't mitigate that with as many positives as Risto. Risto's ginormous gaffes are so conspicuous when they occur, as they are for most D men, that I think there's a tendency to magnify them. At any rate, while I understand the desire to see him off our favorite team, given JBott's screwing of the ROR pooch less than a year ago, he simply cannot give Risto away for anything less than a great deal. Vatenen and Boqvist simply aren't enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I am not willing to give up a first round pick in this proposed deal. Maybe a second but not a first. On this draft issue I am obstinate. 

6 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I think he’s (most likely) a future NHL head coach and I could see him being a successful one. Glad Buffalo didn’t rush him. He’s doing a great job in Rochester (and running these camps). 

I'm glad that Chris Taylor was retained as the coach in Rochester. Players get better under his tutelage. 

Tage Thompson probably would have been better off being sent to Rochester sooner and getting more playing time. I like that he spent some time with the big club but he didn't get the amount of playing time he needed compared to if he would have been sent down sooner. The same argument can be made for Mitts. 

Nylander, Thompson, Pilut, Olaffson should all make the roster with Olaffson vying for a second line position. Internal improvement is not a quick process but it is the most important component of the process. 

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

As Rome burns....

Ralph Krueger told the prospects at camp that they "need have a smile in your heart." So stop scowling! You are working yourself into a state of frenzy. There will be some deals. If Risto is involved in a deal then it will be big enough deal to even satisfy you. By most accounts the Sabres are making a lot of calls. I'm confident that there will be deals. The bigger issue is whether they will make a big enough difference. 

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Ralph Krueger told the prospects at camp that they "need have a smile in your heart." So stop scowling! You are working yourself into a state of frenzy. There will be some deals. If Risto is involved in a deal then it will be big enough deal to even satisfy you. By most accounts the Sabres are making a lot of calls. I'm confident that there will be deals. The bigger issue is whether they will make a big enough difference. 

John, the Sabres are desperate for a #2C until/if Mitts develops into that role. Haula played #2 on a team that went to the Cup final, potted 29 that season, makes $2.75..and the return was at best a 4th line center prospect(according to what i read) and a conditional 5th...how in the world is that not a trade the Sabres should have made. Damn, Nylander  and a 3rd and i would be saying the Sabres absolutely stole this guy..

Why are you opposed to them getting better by trade? You keep saying you want a #2c, this guy was it, and he went for nothing..this is an absolute miss by JBotts

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

John, the Sabres are desperate for a #2C until/if Mitts develops into that role. Haula played #2 on a team that went to the Cup final, potted 29 that season, makes $2.75..and the return was at best a 4th line center prospect(according to what i read) and a conditional 5th...how in the world is that not a trade the Sabres should have made. Damn, Nylander  and a 3rd and i would be saying the Sabres absolutely stole this guy..

Why are you opposed to them getting better by trade? You keep saying you want a #2c, this guy was it, and he went for nothing..this is an absolute miss by JBotts

Your impulsivity is again clouding your judgment. Did you consider the possibility that the GM has his sights on a better player to fill that 2C role? You don't know what is going on behind the scenes. Stop being so frantic and take a chill pill. There is still plenty of time to add players to this thin roster. Being measured and calculating is better than acting with desperation. Maybe Nazem Kadri or a player of that caliber can be pried loose? Just be patient. Acting crazy is not going to help the cause.

You bring up an interesting issue regarding Nylander? Are you giving up on him? I'm not. And I'm not giving up on Tage. You may be yin but I will continue to be yang. :)