Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

21 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/05-31-tsns-darren-dreger-instigators

Cole Caufield on the instigators. 

I would be ok with the Sabres taking him at #7 depending on who was still on the board. 

He very well may be the best goal scorer in the draft, and he works his ass off. Elite shot placement/sniper. 

Paul Hamilton is really high on him.  

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/05-31-tsns-darren-dreger-instigators

Cole Caufield on the instigators. 

I would be ok with the Sabres taking him at #7 depending on who was still on the board. 

He very well may be the best goal scorer in the draft, and he works his ass off. Elite shot placement/sniper. 

I'm not an expert by any means, but I like Boldy and Caufield among those with a good chance to be there at 7OA.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I just don't want to give that blind squirrel any credit if this by some chance does happen.  Those constant references remind me too much of the hit and run "my neighbor's cousin works on the grounds crew" guys we get over on the football side of the board.

Usually, in a high profile deal there is a lot of speculation coming from a lot of vague sources. What is noticeable about this particular contract negotiation is that I have not heard anyone give an opinion that this deal is in trouble. Quite the opposite. There is a unanimity from people in the business that these talks have continuously been going on in a professional manner with little gamesmanship and rancor from either side of the table. My attention is directed toward what deals and trades is the GM going to make to upgrade the roster. 

I don't want to come off as judgmental but if a blind squirrel takes a wild swing and hits it over the fence then it goes in the books as a HR. :)

The attached link is a column by Harrington from the BN. It lists some of the center prospects who will be available for the Sabres when they make their first pick. If they use that pick they should come away with a good prospect. What this team does with its low first round pick is going to be interesting. I think they are going to deal it off for some immediate help. 

https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/31/buffalo-sabres-nhl-draft-alex-turcotte-jack-hughes-kirby-dach-dylan-cozens/?utm_medium=more_stories

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

The attached link is a write up on a draft prospect, Alex Turcotte,  by Bill Hoppe writing for the Buffalo Hockey Beat. It's questionable if he will be available when we make our first pick. 

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/alex-turcotte-could-be-attractive-option-for-sabres-at-nhl-draft/?view=getnewpost

Good read, thanks for posting. I’d be ecstatic if he were there at seven. If not, I’m hoping for either Caufield or Boldy. Caufield, especially,  has really grown on me. Yes, he plays with elite talent at center in Hughes, but this kid is a flat out goal scorer, regardless. I’m not put off by his diminutive stature at all, either. He’s a tough little bastard. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Good read, thanks for posting. I’d be ecstatic if he were there at seven. If not, I’m hoping for either Caufield or Boldy. Caufield, especially,  has really grown on me. Yes, he plays with elite talent at center in Hughes, but this kid is a flat out goal scorer, regardless. I’m not put off by his diminutive stature at all, either. He’s a tough little bastard.

Caulfield may be the most intriguing player in this draft. I have heard him compared to Johnny Gaudreau of the Flames. Of course his goal scoring prowess is appealing but what is just as appealing about him is his hyper-competitive play. This often somnolent team certainly could use a dynamic player to energize a too often listless team. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/05-31-cole-caufield-instigators

Edited by JohnC
add link

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Caulfield may be the most intriguing player in this draft. I have heard him compared to Johnny Gaudreau of the Flames. Of course his goal scoring prowess is appealing but what is just as appealing about him is his hyper-competitive play. This often somnolent team certainly could use a dynamic player to energize a too often listless team. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/05-31-cole-caufield-instigators

I’ll have to give that a listen. Thanks for posting. 

I like the Gaudreau and DeBrincat comparisons but I’m not sure he’s as good a skater as they are. Fast enough, but don’t know if he has the kind of edge work. 

That said, he’s the leading goal scorer in USNTDP history. And not by a fraction; he shattered Kessel’s record. Intriguing indeed. 

2 minutes ago, bbb said:

So, Murray goes to Erie all the time to lust after McDavid and doesn't notice this guy scoring 167 goals in 3 seasons?  

I hear ya. But Murray wasn’t alone in his dismissal of DeBrincat. In hindsight, it’s hard to believe he lasted until pick 39. Then again, Murray was one of a handful of teams to have two cracks at him in the draft and he passed both times. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...wonder if he's married as wives can put the kibosh on deals.......Drury had to opt for Rangers because wifey wanted outta Buffalo.............

I'm not sure of his wife or girl friend or whatever his status is. What I do know is that in Carolina he had a no trade clause. When it was apparent that he wasn't going to be signed by them Buffalo was on his short list of locations in which he was willing to waive the clause. One of his priorities is to play closer to his family in the Toronto/Ontario area. In addition, Paul Hamilton who follows the team for WGR has repeatedly stated that Skinner likes Buffalo and fits in well with the players in his locker room. And there are reports that he was very happy with the hiring of Krueger as the new coach. So for this player and organization everything seems to be in alignment. 

At least for me the Skinner signing is not of a great concern. The bigger issue is the GM making deals to bring in more talent in this offseason.  

The more I watch of this kid, the more I love him. I know  under contract in the KHL for 2 more years, but as long as he is definitely willing to come to North America after that I think it’d be worth the wait. He’d probably be the consensus #3 player in the draft if not for that KHL commitment. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

The more I watch of this kid, the more I love him. I know  under contract in the KHL for 2 more years, but as long as he is definitely willing to come to North America after that I think it’d be worth the wait. He’d probably be the consensus #3 player in the draft if not for that KHL commitment. 

I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him, either. But JBotts strikes me as someone who wants control over player development which is one reason I think he doesn't like drafting CHL prospects. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him, either. But JBotts strikes me as someone who wants control over player development which is one reason I think he doesn't like drafting CHL prospects. 

I agree, it seems unlikely that the Sabres are the team that takes a shot on him. Especially with Botts on his 3rd year and 2nd coach. He may want someone who can have an impact quicker, instead of in 3yrs from now. 

I heard an interview on WGR with the Sabres director of amateur scouting yesterday (Ryan Jankowski. I looked for the interview to post here but could not find it anywhere) and he swore up and down that not drafting a CHL prospect was just circumstance. That they have nothing against drafting from the CHL and it could have just as easily worked out the other way. So I guess we will see come draft day... Seeing is believing. 

27 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I agree, it seems unlikely that the Sabres are the team that takes a shot on him. Especially with Botts on his 3rd year and 2nd coach. He may want someone who can have an impact quicker, instead of in 3yrs from now. 

I heard an interview on WGR with the Sabres director of amateur scouting yesterday (Ryan Jankowski. I looked for the interview to post here but could not find it anywhere) and he swore up and down that not drafting a CHL prospect was just circumstance. That they have nothing against drafting from the CHL and it could have just as easily worked out the other way. So I guess we will see come draft day... Seeing is believing. 

I'll take Jankowski at his word. But I'm with you; seeing is believing. There are several very good CHL prospects rated highly in this draft and one is sure to be there when we pick. 

Me, I want Caufield. I'm sold. 

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/patrik-berglund-says-hell-play-hockey-next-year-after-leaving-nhl-in-december-213239995.html

Whatever sympathy I had for his mental state at the time he quit in his teammates, coaches, and fans is gone. Berglund can go F himself until his ***** falls off. He’s a disgrace. 

Something is amiss with Bott's design.  O'Reilly used every trick in the book to get out and this guy too.  Meanwhile all nicey nice talk about Skinner but actions speak louder and there haven't been any.