Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The mistake you are making is that the player you targeted as a second line player is not the player that the GM is targeting. He might be after a bigger dog that has  healthier legs . :) 

then he becomes a 3c or 4c...you know..build secondary scoring throughout the lineup!!!

toronto fans like me

Edited by plenzmd1

https://blackhawkup.com/2019/06/11/blackhawks-trade-bait-breakdown-colin-miller/

injury during the middle of the season. He also spent a good chunk of time in head coach Gerard Gallant’s doghouse.

However, Miller still had a very solid season. Plus, he’s only 26 years old and seems to still have a good chunk of hockey left in his tank.

Miller is seen as a puck moving defenseman who can quarterback a power play and deliver a deadly shot from the point. This is something that suffered this season, as he only scored 3 goals compared to 14 goals the prior season.

Miller is probably not the prototypical defenseman that Blackhawks’ fans think of when they want a defensive upgrade, but his ability to move the puck up the ice, as well as his ability to maintain possession, is underrated.

He was 10th on the Golden Knights (3rd among defenseman) in Corsi For Percentage (56.9%). Sure, he was 10th on the Golden Knights in CF%, but that also would have put him FIRST on the Blackhawks. Dylan Sikura was rated the highest with a CF% of 55.1%.

• Like (+1) 2

How weird is it VGK in cap jail after just two years.....those fans getting in two years what  most fan bases get in 15 years

great unexpected season..awesome playoff run, Cup final loss

little bit of a down regular season..lose a playoff series on a hidiously bad  call 

Lose good players off a good team cause of cap considerations...

58 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Vellucci says he’s leaving for a great opportunity for his career (I think money is the more likely reason. Rumor has it that Dundon asked the coaches (and possibly some front office members) to take pay cuts). 

I would LOVE for buffalo to hire this guy in some capacity. I thought he might be a guy that Krueger looked to add to his coaching staff, but I don’t think he’s adding anyone else. He would have fit that “tactician” role very well. 

Ill be interested to see where he lands. Hopefully not Toronto...  

I don’t know how that team can survive long term with him being so cheap. Each move takes it to a new level. 

• Like (+1) 1

nice! 

i like this trade a lot, as long as it doesn’t lead to a bad Ristolainen trade... lol. 

We will actually have a respectable top 6 on the right and left side. But I am quite nervous that Risto is going to be traded now. I can live with that as long as the return is proper. With the prices defenseman have been going for this offseason, it makes me nervous. But guys like Trouba and Subban had extenuating circumstances (trouba on,y willing to sign in NY and Subban with a $9M cap hit). 

19 minutes ago, K-9 said:

So this is the last piece of the ROR deal. Sobotka, Thompson, Johnson, Miller. Still a chance three of them pan out. 

I didn’t initially associate Miller with the ROR trade. Good call pointing that out. Now we can actually start to graze the return buffalo got. It’ll still be years before we know for sure. But now we know all of the exact players we got in return. 

If Thompson develops into a good top 6 F and Johnson into a good top 4 D, this trade could look alright for us in a few years. Miller is already a pretty good top 4 RHD.

• Like (+1) 1

While I think this “most likely” sets up a Risto deal because he’s a RHD, I’ll also say, “not necessarily.” 

Miller gives us one legit top paid D in Dahlin, and then five other “legit” top four. 

Both Scandella and Nelson can either be moved, cut, or sit in the box. We won’t miss them at all.

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

nice! 

i like this trade a lot, as long as it doesn’t lead to a bad Ristolainen trade... lol. 

We will actually have a respectable top 6 on the right and left side. But I am quite nervous that Risto is going to be traded now. I can live with that as long as the return is proper. With the prices defenseman have been going for this offseason, it makes me nervous. But guys like Trouba and Subban had extenuating circumstances (trouba on,y willing to sign in NY and Subban with a $9M cap hit). 

I didn’t initially associate Miller with the ROR trade. Good call pointing that out. Now we can actually start to graze the return buffalo got. It’ll still be years before we know for sure. But now we know all of the exact players we got in return. 

If Thompson develops into a good top 6 F and Johnson into a good top 4 D, this trade could look alright for us in a few years. Miller is already a pretty good top 4 RHD.

I only pointed it out because McKensie pointed it out first.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, K-9 said:

While I think this “most likely” sets up a Risto deal because he’s a RHD, I’ll also say, “not necessarily.” 

Miller gives us one legit top paid D in Dahlin, and then five other “legit” top four. 

Both Scandella and Nelson can either be moved, cut, or sit in the box. We won’t miss them at all.

i am on phone and too hard to look up..but Nelson was driving was some decent numbers last year before he got hurt..

Scandella needs to be waived/Molson treatment...must confess some the rules on player movement escapes me ...

42 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This has to be a precursor to a Risto deal. The GM is determined to put together a credible second line to spread out the scoring. The stage is being set tp add a second line player with Risto being the currency to get that done. 

I would be interested in some of our experts here who could give an abbreviated sketch of this player. Is he a genuine second pairing defenseman or more of a third pairing type of player? 

So, you’re now directly stealing lines from @plenzmd1 ? Have you no shame man?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

i am on phone and too hard to look up..but Nelson was driving was some decent numbers last year before he got hurt..

Scandella needs to be waived/Molson treatment...must confess some the rules on player movement escapes me ...

Just to be clear, I’m not anti Nelson. Not at all because, like you say, he drives some positive stats. 

But Miller, Montour, Bogo, and Risto are just better. 

Agree. Cut Scandella and keep Nelson as the seven.

Just now, K-9 said:

Just to be clear, I’m not anti Nelson. Not at all because, like you say, he drives some positive stats. 

But Miller, Montour, Bogo, and Risto are just better. 

Agree. Cut Scandella and keep Nelson as the seven.

but ya cant cut him right? Waive him, no one picks him up..he has to go to the AHL/ ECHL? Still eat his cap number, i get that

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

but ya cant cut him right? Waive him, no one picks him up..he has to go to the AHL/ ECHL? Still eat his cap number, i get that

You’re right. Better to take him out back and “Old Yeller” his untalented ass.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

So, you’re now directly stealing lines from @plenzmd1 ? Have you no shame man?

I like the word "precursor" so I stole it. There isn't much else worthy of stealing from him.

I openly admit that I lack shame. It's easier to get by when you have no conscious. :ph34r:

• Haha (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

nice! 

You make a good point that sometimes it takes a few years before completing an assessment on a trade. With the selection of Cozens in this year's draft it is not unreasonable to believe that in time he will become a second line center to fill the void caused by the departure of ROR. If you consider that Mitts still has plenty of room to develop as either a second or third line center and factor in that we could still work a deal to get another second line center then our center staffing looks solid. 

Will Tage become a second line forward? I'm not sure. But if he becomes a good scoring third line player then I'm fine with that role. There is no doubt that the ROR trade was damaging. But as time goes by I'm hoping that it will be mitigated to the point of it being a less punishing deal. 

I have not been a critic of the deal because I strongly suspect more was going on with ROR and his relationship with the organization and the other players in the room that we are aware of. It's telling that I can't recall any players coming out and criticizing the deal. Sometimes you got to do what you got to do. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I like the word "precursor" so I stole it. There isn't much else worthy of stealing from him.

I openly admit that I lack shame. It's easier to get by when you have no conscious. :ph34r:

Yes, life does seem easier when I'm unconscious.

Not having a conscience probably makes things easier for some as well. ☺

2 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Yes, life does seem easier when I'm unconscious.

Not having a conscience probably makes things easier for some as well. ☺

I'm getting properly knocked around for my misdeeds. :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

Fortunately, I hate Carolina.

Not that long ago the Sabres and the Billls were franchises that were fiscally tightly operated. The Pegulas have certainly made mistakes as new owners with their two franchises. They have learned from their mistakes. It is refreshing to have owners operate their small market team in a manner that allows them to compete with the bigger markets. I appreciate them and don't take them for granted. Thank you Mr. and Mrs P. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

Seems, to me, that the entire idea was lifted. Is your last name Belichick?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Seems, to me, that the entire idea was lifted. Is your last name Belichick?

I use the word "a" and "the" a lot. That doesn't mean that it is owned by that rogue.  

I consider Belichick to be the best coach in the history of the modern NFL. I openly admire him and what he has accomplished.