Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Unfortunately, that's true. Unless Thompson becomes a solid top six player, which I doubt, or the 30th or 31st in the upcoming draft becomes one instead,  which I doubt even more, then we have absolutely nothing to show for the ROR trade. Nothing. I'm gonna go ahead and label it the worst trade in Buffalo pro sports history. At least until I comb the memory banks for something worse among the Bills, Sabres, or Braves. Right now, I can't remember one. 

96790.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I'm actually not too low on Thompson yet.  He has size and skill that cannot be learned.  I dont think he is a slam dunk, but Im not counting him out either.  

Wish I shared your optimism about Thompson. And maybe Krueger can tap into his potential and draw it out. Size and skill is nice but not when that size isn’t strong enough and the skill isn’t consistent enough. But he’s young and still developing so there’s hope. 

Edited by K-9

27 minutes ago, Buffalophil1948 said:

Any news on resigning Skinner. Don't get much Sabres news out in Phoenix

No. According to Bitterill, Skinner was waiting to see who the coach was and he said now that the coach is hired he will be sitting down with Skinner agent in the next few weeks or so. 

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

Words do not do justice to the magnitude of these words; their sheer wisdom is beyond the grasp of mere mortals to comprehend. 

Then again, it all depends on how your aunt chooses to identify. 

“If you are depressed you are living in the past. 
If you are anxious you are living in the future. 
If you are at peace you are living in the present.”

― Lao Tzu

24 minutes ago, Lurker said:

“If you are depressed you are living in the past. 
If you are anxious you are living in the future. 
If you are at peace you are living in the present.”

― Lao Tzu

I'm totally at peace in the present. Even if that present is marred by current state of the Sabres trade of ROR. 

But thanks for your concern. 

Was it Tzu who also said, "If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle?"

The below link is a WGR column written by Paul Hamilton on Rasmus Asplund. Either sometime next year or the following season I see him making the roster and being a third or fourth line center. The greater number of young players who make the roster the more cap room for free agent and traded for players. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-asplund-thinks-hes-ready-live-his-nhl-dream

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, K-9 said:

Unfortunately, that's true. Unless Thompson becomes a solid top six player, which I doubt, or the 30th or 31st in the upcoming draft becomes one instead,  which I doubt even more, then we have absolutely nothing to show for the ROR trade. Nothing. I'm gonna go ahead and label it the worst trade in Buffalo pro sports history. At least until I comb the memory banks for something worse among the Bills, Sabres, or Braves. Right now, I can't remember one. 

None of that matters.  ROR was a gigantic piece of crap while he was here.  He got bombed and ran over a donut shop 4 seconds after he was given a huge contract.  He played uninspired hockey to be kind, then he whined publicly about losing passion for the game in some passive aggressive mind games.  At least have they balls to demand a trade.

The ROR the Sabres traded was a bum.  Maybe he has matured in St. Louis or maybe he just got what he wanted all along and his hissy fit paid off.  The Sabres fans deserved far far more than what he gave them and a bag of pucks would have been a good return for what he was while he was here.  I hope we never have another player like the one he was while here.

Also, I hope he helps the Blues beat the Bruins.

6 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

None of that matters.  ROR was a gigantic piece of crap while he was here.  He got bombed and ran over a donut shop 4 seconds after he was given a huge contract.  He played uninspired hockey to be kind, then he whined publicly about losing passion for the game in some passive aggressive mind games.  At least have they balls to demand a trade.

The ROR the Sabres traded was a bum.  Maybe he has matured in St. Louis or maybe he just got what he wanted all along and his hissy fit paid off.  The Sabres fans deserved far far more than what he gave them and a bag of pucks would have been a good return for what he was while he was here.  I hope we never have another player like the one he was while here.

Also, I hope he helps the Blues beat the Bruins.

I don’t disagree necessarily, but bum or not, he’s an excellent hockey player. And it’s too bad we don’t have anything to show for the trade at this point. 

I hope they beat Boston, too.

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

I don’t disagree necessarily, but bum or not, he’s an excellent hockey player. And it’s too bad we don’t have anything to show for the trade at this point. 

I hope they beat Boston, too.

He was not an excellent player for the Sabres.  He was a lethargic loser who helped poison the room.  He needed to go and he didn't even handle that like a man.  For whatever reason he didn't want to be here and he wasn't even man enough to outright say it.  That is not the profile of a player who garners a premium in a trade.  It results in a discount.  

Murray sucked but he did a lot for ROR as did the Pegulas.  He was welcomed by the fans in a great hockey town.  WTF?

13 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Yet the sabres display the same issues after oreilly.  

That is true.  There is no denying that.  Something is off and needs to be fixed.

Maybe coach Tony Robbins is the answer.

Edited by 4merper4mer

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

That is true.  There is no denying that.  Something is off and needs to be fixed.

I really hope so.  It needs to.  If things don't improve, things are going to come to a head with Eichel and Reinhart, and Dahlen will be stunted a bit.

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I don't think that Tony Robbins is going to be the answer. Because he is currently entangled with his own issues he won't be available to the hockey world. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/celebrity/four-new-women-accuse-tony-robbins-of-sexual-misconduct-in-buzzfeed-news-investigation/ar-AABNvBe?ocid=spartandhp

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

The trade wasn't made for today, so it's not really a surprise that they don't have anything to show for it so far.  Yes, we all would have liked to see more from Thompson this year, but that book's far from written.  Calgary had absolutely nothing to show for the first year after trading Joe Nieuwendyk (yes, I had to google that spelling), but that wound up working out quite well.  And please don't think I'm trying to compare those players, it's just the example that always comes to mind in a prospect for established vet deal that can work out for both teams.

Hopefully we'll start to quickly see the true test of that trade begin next year.  If Krueger truly is that great motivator who gets the most out of people, hopefully that pushes Thompson towards his potential.  I'm not ready to write off that trade yet.  That's like quitting on a diet because you're hungry on day 1.

9 minutes ago, shrader said:

The trade wasn't made for today, so it's not really a surprise that they don't have anything to show for it so far.  Yes, we all would have liked to see more from Thompson this year, but that book's far from written.  Calgary had absolutely nothing to show for the first year after trading Joe Nieuwendyk (yes, I had to google that spelling), but that wound up working out quite well.  And please don't think I'm trying to compare those players, it's just the example that always comes to mind in a prospect for established vet deal that can work out for both teams.

Hopefully we'll start to quickly see the true test of that trade begin next year.  If Krueger truly is that great motivator who gets the most out of people, hopefully that pushes Thompson towards his potential.  I'm not ready to write off that trade yet.  That's like quitting on a diet because you're hungry on day 1.

Like I said, it’s either Thompson becoming a good top six winger or a 30th/31st draft pick becoming one. I haven’t written off the trade, either, as I’ve also said “so far.” I also mentioned Krueger tapping into and developing Thompson’s potential as well in a previous post. 

But right now, it’s a whole lotta nothing in return for a star player. That is simply the sad truth.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Like I said, it’s either Thompson becoming a good top six winger or a 30th/31st draft pick becoming one. I haven’t written off the trade, either, as I’ve also said “so far.” I also mentioned Krueger tapping into and developing Thompson’s potential as well in a previous post. 

But right now, it’s a whole lotta nothing in return for a star player. That is simply the sad truth.

I just don't see what the point is of making that assessment.  A grading of incomplete is not a failure, yet it seems to be all that the fanbase wants to focus on.