Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

No big shockers (yet). A bit surprised Ruotsalainen and CJ Smith were “sent down” with the first round of cuts. I wonder if CJ Smith is upset. I remember a recent interview where he said he was excited because the Sabres told him he would be given a legit chance at making the roster. Not saying he wasn’t given a legit chance or anything, and I always viewed him as a long shot to make the team out of camp.

Just a bit surprised he wasn’t one of the later cuts (even just to appease him). They must view him as a core Rochester guy, since Amerks camp starts tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

The problem is that there is not enough serious hockey fans in the US. 

you have a good thing going in the US, always good to meet and talk to hockey fans wherever I can

and your cities won’t give up the Stanley Cup

:(

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

It's a regional sport like baseball. Pittsburgh, Philly, Boston, NY, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, Vegas, Dallas, San Jose, Colorado, LA etc. All these markets are in America.There are teams that have tepid fans, and some of that is due to expansion in new hockey markets. So that shouldn't be so surprising.  However, the hockey business is as robust as it has ever been. If you don't accept that assessment than ask the players how well they are benefiting from the business. 

Few years ago a handful of teams were in dire $$$ trouble, haven’t heard this too recently, I guess they got out it it?!

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

No big shockers (yet). A bit surprised Ruotsalainen and CJ Smith were “sent down” with the first round of cuts. I wonder if CJ Smith is upset. I remember a recent interview where he said he was excited because the Sabres told him he would be given a legit chance at making the roster. Not saying he wasn’t given a legit chance or anything, and I always viewed him as a long shot to make the team out of camp.

Just a bit surprised he wasn’t one of the later cuts (even just to appease him). They must view him as a core Rochester guy, since Amerks camp starts tomorrow. 

Maybe you send him down early so that it's easier for him to clear waivers.  I feel like most teams already have too many bodies to sort through to add another to the mix by way of waiver claim.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Maybe you send him down early so that it's easier for him to clear waivers.  I feel like most teams already have too many bodies to sort through to add another to the mix by way of waiver claim.

I don't think any player is going to sneak through wavers because all teams have to address the roster cut issue during training camp. All teams keep track of all the players on other teams not only on the NHL rosters but also the lower level rosters. They need to for waiver possibilities and also for trade considerations. CJ Smith is an earnest player who falls in the category of a fourth line player. He is more likely to be called up as a fill-in for an injured player or a player who is struggling on the big club. In my opinion he is the type of player who falls in the range between being a good AHL player and barely making the jump to the NHL. I like him as a player but he is the type of player who gets picked up by another team you quickly forget about.  

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't think any player is going to sneak through wavers because all teams have to address the roster cut issue during training camp. All teams keep track of all the players on other teams not only on the NHL rosters but also the lower level rosters. They need to for waiver possibilities and also for trade considerations. CJ Smith is an earnest player who falls in the category of a fourth line player. He is more likely to be called up as a fill-in for an injured player or a player who is struggling on the big club. In my opinion he is the type of player who falls in the range between being a good AHL player and barely making the jump to the NHL. I like him as a player but he is the type of player who gets picked up by another team you quickly forget about.  

Yes you quickly forget, but it's also the kind of depth that all teams need.  It's nice to have that kind of player to call up in an emergency as opposed to a very green rookie.  That's one thing that they definitely added to the roster this offseason.  No one blinks an eye at the signing of guys like Lazar,  but it never hurts to have your pick of a few near NHL-level bodies when the inevitable injuries hit.

Than and I'd much rather call up a 4th line guy for 4th line minutes as opposed to previous years where you might call up a Nylander and give him 4th line minutes.  We don't really have any current young prospect forwards in Rochester, so I'll stick with that Nylander example for now.

23 minutes ago, shrader said:

Yes you quickly forget, but it's also the kind of depth that all teams need.  It's nice to have that kind of player to call up in an emergency as opposed to a very green rookie.  That's one thing that they definitely added to the roster this offseason.  No one blinks an eye at the signing of guys like Lazar,  but it never hurts to have your pick of a few near NHL-level bodies when the inevitable injuries hit.

Than and I'd much rather call up a 4th line guy for 4th line minutes as opposed to previous years where you might call up a Nylander and give him 4th line minutes.  We don't really have any current young prospect forwards in Rochester, so I'll stick with that Nylander example for now.

I think you grossly misunderstood what I said. No one is saying that he wouldn't be a capable call up player. I even mentioned that in my prior post. What I am saying as of right now he hasn't earned a spot on the big club's roster. Other players are ahead of him. He competed against those players in camp and didn't sufficiently move up the ranks. How else are you going to do it? You compete and let the chips fall where they fall. 

The attached link is a column by AP's Johb Wawrow. This link came from the hockey side of TBD. It focuses on Krueger and what the hire might mean for the Sabres. John W believes that with the additions and better coaching this team should stay in playoff contention up to the end of the season. He believes the team earning 90 points is a reasonable expectation. 

https://apnews.com/ee7b353f3a5e49da83313f69cab05636?view=getnewpost

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The attached link is a column by AP's Johb Wawrow. This link came from the hockey side of TBD. It focuses on Krueger and what the hire might mean for the Sabres. John W believes that with the additions and better coaching this team should stay in playoff contention up to the end of the season. He believes the team earning 90 points is a reasonable expectation. 

https://apnews.com/ee7b353f3a5e49da83313f69cab05636?view=getnewpost

Well, we will know by the end of October!:lol:

• Like (+1) 1

The attached link is a Buffalo News article written by Mike Harrington. It was taken from the hockey side of TBD.  It focused on Mittelstadt and his effort to find his way. Harrington conjectured that it appears that Cozen is destined to be sent back to the juniors. 

https://buffalonews.com/2019/09/23/buffalo-sabres-nhl-casey-mittelstadt/?view=getnewpost

This link is a column written by Bill Hoppe from the Buffalo Hockey beat. It focuses on Rodriques and his versatility. This team desperately needs to address its secondary scoring deficiency. He and Sheary can skate but can they finish? 

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-evan-rodrigues-confident-after-showcasing-versatility-last-season/?view=getnewpost

The below link is Paul Hamilton on WGR talking about the final roster. He made some interesting comments on Tage Thompson and talked about a Laine deal. He also made the point that he would rather see the younger players getting a lot of ice time in Rochester than marginal minutes with Buffalo. This is an 11 min. segment. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/09-25-paul-hamilton-howard-and-sal

• Like (+1) 1