Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

35 minutes ago, shrader said:

Now there's an interesting possibility for the original post.  The double "s" misspell of the name makes it sound reasonable.

Yea that makes sense! Now read my very informative posts!!!!!

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/05-21-winnipeg-jets-head-coach-paul-maurice-howard-and-jeremy-ralph-krueger

Paul Maurice on WGR talking about Ralph Krueger. He was an assistant on Ralph Krueger’s team Europe, and iirc they worked together with carolina too. 

Maurice -

- incredible presence in the locker room

- what’s most interesting to him is that when he travels around to other cities and runs into one of the guys from the World Cup team, their first question is “hey have  you talked to Ralph?”. Says he made such an impression on not just the players, but the equipment guys, the medical guys, media members etc etc. He just gives off this incredible energy, and it goes from 5am to midnight.

- He’s just wired differently than other guys. Energy level is off the charts. 

- Ralph does leadership consulting and leadership forums in his spare time. Excellent public speaker, which Maurice says is very important with hockey players. They are easy to lose, but that’s not a problem with Ralph. Says there are times during the year when you really need to grab the players attention, and that’s never a problem with Ralph. 

- this is the right time for Ralph’s personality to be in the game, with players personalities today. He’s a real “connector”. 

When Maurice started in NHL, players took care of themselves. No cell phones, soclai media etc. Now it’s much different. Players need a lot more 1 on 1 attention, and Ralph is great at that. He has a great ability to connect with people. 

- feels the ability to connect with players may be the most important aspect of NHL coaching these days. Times have changed. Players and coaches used to be separated. to push a player hard these days, Maurice says there has to be a deeper connection than just player/coach relationship. Need to have a connection and the players need to understand you care.

That’s something he learned from Ralph - connecting with everyone, not just players, and making them feel included in, and important to, what the team is doing (sounds just like McDermott). 

- but he’s not soft. He has no problem holding room accountable. He can really let it fly when he needs to.

Has a good balance between the 2. 

- coached his Swiss teams to be very quick on the puck, and very detailed without being too constricted in the way they play. 

I didn’t do the last 5 minutes because I really think it’s worth a listen for yourselves. Maurice tells some stories and goes into details that I felt wouldn’t be accurately conveyed by me. Definitely some good stuff around the 9 minute mark. If you only listen to part of the interview, I would start at 9 minutes. 

Maurice sounded very impressed by Krueger and talks about multiple things he’s learned from him. Paul Maurice is one of the most respected coaches in the NHL. It’s cool to hear him talking about learning from Krueger.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Now there's an interesting possibility for the original post.  The double "s" misspell of the name makes it sound reasonable.

I am just listening to the interview now. They are talking about Phil Kessel.

3 hours ago, shrader said:

Isn't Kesler completely broken at this point?  I seem to remember something about potential career ending surgery.  If they're suggesting taking on a cap hit in exchange for assets, I might understand it, but it's odd to see that option on the same list as Duchene.

Edit: I should learn to read posts from plenz.  Difficult, I know, but there might sometimes be value to them.

I wasn't advocated for Kessler. Far from it. The point of the link is that they were bringing up players who might be available on the market. A player such as Duchene would certainly be a good addition. 

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

You know that. I know that. Paul Hamilton? Well, ‘nuff said. 

In the link Hamilton argued that Kessler would not be a good addition. 

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I thought Kesler was a typo. Figured he meant Kessel or someone. LOL if he actually said Kesler. 

Ryan Kesler is most likely out for the entire 2019-20 season already, and may be done playing all together.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ducks/la-sp-ryan-kesler-ducks-surgery-20190513-story.html

And he’s owed almost $7M a year for 3 more years. 

I loved Kesler back in the day, but he hasn’t been the same player for years now between the back and hip injuries, and may in fact be completely done. Plus he has a no trade clause and loves Anaheim. 

Nobody is trading for Kesler unless it’s as a cap dump after he’s on permanent LTIR. 

I'm the one who is mistaken. He mentioned Kessel in the link. He was against dealing for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I wasn't advocated for Kessler. Far from it. The point of the link is that they were bringing up players who might be available on the market. A player such as Duchene would certainly be a good addition. 

In the link Hamilton argued that Kessler would not be a good addition. 

I didn’t read the link. I was going off Shrader’s post. 

Glad PHam isn’t as big a clueless moron as I thought. 

Still not a fan though. He’s perhaps the worst interviewer in history with his uncanny ability to answer his own questions as he’s asking them. In court, they’d say that’s leading a witness. In the lockerroom, it’s crappy journalism. 

On 5/20/2019 at 9:19 AM, plenzmd1 said:

usually later int he spring i think...maybe like mid-June..prolly after the Cup is finished.

Pegulas know the value of a doubleheader, good chance they will home the Friday or Saturday before the Pats game.

I noticed the last few years more and more  Sabres regular season  home games on Bills weekends..think TPegs gives up other weekend games to make sure he has plenty of doubleheader weekends in the fall.

Let's hope it's Saturday as I can't get to town Friday. My Pats STHer boss is making the trip with me. Hope I can treat him to a Sabres game too. BTW, I just renewed my four seats today. The positive feelings over the Krueger hire got me off the fence.

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, shrader said:

They'll be the first team to ever win 98 in a row but not win the Cup.  Don't ask me how that's possible.  They'll find a way.

Win the last 4 exhibition games in September.  Break Eichel & Hutton tripping over each other trying to avoid touching the Prince of Wales trophy.  Reinhart & Dahlin both catch staph infection from exhibit of relics from the '06 run.

Soooo Buffalo.

So it looks like we can close the book on the Kane deal, at least until draft future picks are made. It was Kane to San Jose for Montour, O’Reagan, and a conditional 2019 4th, which the Sharks can defer to a 2020 3rd. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

So it looks like we can close the book on the Kane deal, at least until draft future picks are made. It was Kane to San Jose for Montour, O’Reagan, and a conditional 2019 4th, which the Sharks can defer to a 2020 3rd. 

Makes the Kane trade better and the ROR trade that much worse. lol 

6 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Makes the Kane trade better and the ROR trade that much worse. lol 

Unfortunately, that's true. Unless Thompson becomes a solid top six player, which I doubt, or the 30th or 31st in the upcoming draft becomes one instead,  which I doubt even more, then we have absolutely nothing to show for the ROR trade. Nothing. I'm gonna go ahead and label it the worst trade in Buffalo pro sports history. At least until I comb the memory banks for something worse among the Bills, Sabres, or Braves. Right now, I can't remember one. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Unfortunately, that's true. Unless Thompson becomes a solid top six player, which I doubt, or the 30th or 31st in the upcoming draft becomes one instead,  which I doubt even more, then we have absolutely nothing to show for the ROR trade. Nothing. I'm gonna go ahead and label it the worst trade in Buffalo pro sports history. At least until I comb the memory banks for something worse among the Bills, Sabres, or Braves. Right now, I can't remember one. 

C'est la vie.   If my aunt had a **** she'd be my uncle....

8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

C'est la vie.   If my aunt had a **** she'd be my uncle....

Words do not do justice to the magnitude of these words; their sheer wisdom is beyond the grasp of mere mortals to comprehend. 

Then again, it all depends on how your aunt chooses to identify. 

5 hours ago, K-9 said:

Shouldnt we include Guhle as well as he was traded along with that pick?

3 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Guhle was a good prospect. On the other hand Pilut moved ahead of him as a defenseman prospect. When he is healthy will be on the roster with the Sabres. Montour is a good second pairing defenseman. When the tally is finalized this was a good deal for us.  

6 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I was only looking at the transaction with the Sharks. But yeah, I suppose one could add all the elements to include the Ducks.

it was more of a lament of the ROR trade. If the Sharks had won and Anaheim acquired the pick we got from the Blues instead, at least we could say we have Montour to show for that pick. But we don’t, making the trade with St. Louis even worse. 

we have no idea if Montour will be good or not.  Everyone was fist pumping about Scandella too and he is terrible.  Montour apparently is not a good player with the analytics/advanced stats crowd.  

I hope he pans out to an above average 2nd pairing D-man.  The decisions made by this team though give me little faith.  

Either way, I dislike the Kane and OReilly trades.  IMO, Kane should have been traded in the Summer or in the Fall when he got off to the hot start.  There were more buyers and it would have been proactive.  Instead they waited to the deadline and their hand was forced, while the Rangers got one over by dealing Nash earlier for a better return.

OReilly.  Yeah, that trade has been beaten to death and goes without saying.  No idea why the Sabres are continually in a mode to accept other teams' roster and cap garbage.

4 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

we have no idea if Montour will be good or not.  Everyone was fist pumping about Scandella too and he is terrible.  Montour apparently is not a good player with the analytics/advanced stats crowd.  

I hope he pans out to an above average 2nd pairing D-man.  The decisions made by this team though give me little faith.  

Either way, I dislike the Kane and OReilly trades.  IMO, Kane should have been traded in the Summer or in the Fall when he got off to the hot start.  There were more buyers and it would have been proactive.  Instead they waited to the deadline and their hand was forced, while the Rangers got one over by dealing Nash earlier for a better return.

OReilly.  Yeah, that trade has been beaten to death and goes without saying.  No idea why the Sabres are continually in a mode to accept other teams' roster and cap garbage.

As it turned out, I don’t like either trade, either. But good or not, Montour is at least a tangible asset as a top four Dman. Which is at least something for Kane. And that’s better than the nothing we got for ROR to this point.