Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

What a shot by Olofsson! Wow. 

14 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The Devils are one of the most disgraceful outfits I have ever seen suit up in the NHL.

I would say they are bad, but I don't feel like insulting bad teams.

I honestly don’t understand how John Hynes still has a job at this point. Maybe this game will be the final straw? NJ looks awful. 

They have some talent, too. They shouldn’t be this bad. Right now they look like one of buffalo’s tank teams. 

The only reason I can think of why Shero may not be too anxious to fire the coach is there could be some good coaches available this offseason (Laviolette, Boudreau, maybe Julien, etc). But an interim coach doesn’t stop you from hiring a top tier coach in the offseason. You'd think Shero would want to try something to salvage this season and get Hall more interested in signing an extension. 

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

What a shot by Olofsson! Wow. 

I honestly don’t understand how John Hynes still has a job at this point. Maybe this game will be the final straw? NJ looks awful. 

They have some talent, too. They shouldn’t be this bad. Right now they look like one of buffalo’s tank teams. 

The only reason I can think of why Shero may not be too anxious to fire the coach is there could be some good coaches available this offseason (Laviolette, Boudreau, maybe Julien, etc). But an interim coach doesn’t stop you from hiring a top tier coach in the offseason. You'd think Shero would want to try something to salvage this season and get Hall more interested in signing an extension. 

Hynes shouldn't be coaching an AHL team.

A coaching change for the Devils and going with a coach who has a defensive mindset can turn this season around.

But Shero is too loyal to Hynes and it looks like Shero will gladly go down with Hynes. Pathetic.

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

Hynes shouldn't be coaching an AHL team.

A coaching change for the Devils and going with a coach who has a defensive mindset can turn this season around.

But Shero is too loyal to Hynes and it looks like Shero will gladly go down with Hynes. Pathetic.

Shero is definitely loyal, to a fault I think. 

Look at Bylsma...

It’s a shame because he seems like a decent GM, and added quite a bit of talent to the NJD without giving up anything too major. 

Edited by BillsFan4

In this type of game where we dominated the scoreboard you can't come away with any meaningful takeaways because the opposition played like an inert doormat. If there is a takeaway from this game it is that Ullmark has solidified his position as our #1 goalie. He is playing with confidence with very economical moves because his anticipation has been superb. 

One positive observation is that our younger players such as Joki, Olofasson, Asplund and Mitts are playing with more confidence and getting better. The GM's trade of Nylander for Joki was a fantastic deal for us. Joki not only is one of our most consistent defenders but he has become more offensively involved. For a youngster he plays with a lot of maturity and confidence.

Krueger has been smartly juggling his defensive pairings. He knows how to fit the pieces. It's obvious that Risto playing fewer minutes improves his quality of play and results in less glaring mistakes. I don't know why so many people complain about having too many defensemen? Most organizations would love to have that problem. The smart HC's moving Mitts to the wing on a Johansson line has allowed him to play looser and up his game. He is steadily getting better.

Although I am happy with our scoring goals this contest was very much a bore because the opposition was spiritless and not much of a match. It was good to see Mike Robataille (sic?) back in the booth talking hockey. 

Attached is a link of the standings. 

https://www.nhl.com/standings/2019/conference

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

In this type of game where we dominated the scoreboard you can't come away with any meaningful takeaways because the opposition played like an inert doormat. If there is a takeaway from this game it is that Ullmark has solidified his position as our #1 goalie. He is playing with confidence with very economical moves because his anticipation has been superb. 

One positive observation is that our younger players such as Joki, Olofasson, Asplund and Mitts are playing with more confidence and getting better. The GM's trade of Nylander for Joki was a fantastic deal for us. Joki not only is one of our most consistent defenders but he has become more offensively involved. For a youngster he plays with a lot of maturity and confidence.

Krueger has been smartly juggling his defensemen pairing. He knows how to fit the pieces. It's obvious that Risto playing fewer minutes improves his quality of play and results in less glaring mistakes. I don't know why so many people complain about having too many defensemen? Most organizations would love to have that problem. The smart HC's moving Mitts to the wing on a Johansson line has allowed him to play looser and up his game. He is steadily getting better.

Although I am happy with our scoring goals this contest was very much a bore because the opposition was spiritless and not much of a match. It was good to see Mike Robataille (sic?) back in the booth talking hockey. 

Attached is a link of the standings. 

https://www.nhl.com/standings/2019/conference

Honestly, I don't mind being that kind of bored.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Honestly, I don't mind being that kind of bored.

I'll take the win any time. However, I found both of the Toronto games exciting and dramatic because both teams played with passion and heart. New Jersey players seemed to be going through the motion.  

• Like (+1) 1

Lance Lysowski of the Buffalo News gives a recap of the game. He noted that Jokiharju was on the first PP unit when he scored. It was also noted that the goal on the PP was the first time it happened in 38 attempts. Brutal!

Does anyone know why the attendance is no longer given in the box score? How are the Sabres drawing? Is it dramatically down? 

https://buffalonews.com/2019/12/02/buffalo-sabres-new-jersey-devils-conor-sheary-jeff-skinner-jack-eichel-victor-olofsson-nhl-news-2019/?view=getnewpost

10 hours ago, GG said:

Back in the hunt

1-0.

I was going to suggest the Devils were the NHL’s Dolphins, but Miami seems to be really trying.  (Despite what their front office is up to.) 

11 hours ago, snafu said:

Probably the wrong night to bring this up but this is the first game that I’ve seen Bogosian play.

He can’t move!  I feel awful for him, but he shouldn’t be on the ice.

Like the Fonz, when he went roller skating with Potsie?  ??

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Lance Lysowski of the Buffalo News gives a recap of the game. He noted that Jokiharju was on the first PP unit when he scored. It was also noted that the goal on the PP was the first time it happened in 38 attempts. Brutal!

Does anyone know why the attendance is no longer given in the box score? How are the Sabres drawing? Is it dramatically down? 

https://buffalonews.com/2019/12/02/buffalo-sabres-new-jersey-devils-conor-sheary-jeff-skinner-jack-eichel-victor-olofsson-nhl-news-2019/?view=getnewpost

I randomly check this throughout the year.  I'd say the numbers are right around where I'd expect them to be.  It seems like they're stuck right in the heart of the "bad team or bad market" section of the listing.  While not exactly surprising, the Ottawa numbers are an eye opener.

The one thing I'm not sure about is if the Sweden "home game" is included in there.  One game's not going to skew things too much with 14/15 games played, but I have no idea if that was a large/small arena and how many fans showed up.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

1-0.

I was going to suggest the Devils were the NHL’s Dolphins, but Miami seems to be really trying.  (Despite what their front office is up to.) 

Like the Fonz, when he went roller skating with Potsie?  ??

Yes, or Like Rocky when he took Adrian skating.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, shrader said:

I randomly check this throughout the year.  I'd say the numbers are right around where I'd expect them to be.  It seems like they're stuck right in the heart of the "bad team or bad market" section of the listing.  While not exactly surprising, the Ottawa numbers are an eye opener.

The one thing I'm not sure about is if the Sweden "home game" is included in there.  One game's not going to skew things too much with 14/15 games played, but I have no idea if that was a large/small arena and how many fans showed up.

i would not  attend  if I was in Ottawa either. Never been to a game there, but from reports really far out, owner who sucks, and a team that stinks.

Looked to me to be about 80% full last night from the TV views, not bad for a Monday night against the Devils.

Sabres 3-1-2 last 6, maybe having at the least steadied the ship, if not quite yet turned the ship around.

Edited by plenzmd1

15 hours ago, snafu said:

Probably the wrong night to bring this up but this is the first game that I’ve seen Bogosian play.

He can’t move!  I feel awful for him, but he shouldn’t be on the ice.

Bogosian is not the player he once was. That's apparent. There are too many injuries and surgeries that have accumulated to make him physically capable of doing what he used to be able to do. But that is not to say that by modifying his game (as he has) that he can't be a contributing player. He now is more of a defensive-defensive who doesn't rush up the ice very much. But what he does to compensate is quickly pass the puck forward and get the offense moving north. He won't be making many crushing hits in the open ice but he is still as good playing his man and checking him man along the boards than anyone else on the unit. He may be physically diminished but he compensates by playing a more limited and smarter game. 

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Thanks for the clip. There is a lesson to his plight and this story. Although it wouldn't be unfair to consider that his agent was negligent the player has to recognize that the hockey business is a business. You have to be diligent in protecting your own interests even if you have an agent acting on your behalf. He was in a good situation in St. Louis and he was happy. His contract was coming up where his not trade clause was going to expire. If he didn't realize that it was his mistake. Some agents are more detailed in their work. However, agents usually have a number of clients to keep tabs on. As it turns out each side is pointing the finger as to who is to blame for not maintaining the no trade clause. 

Pat Berglund seems to be a good person and a capable hockey player. But when he was traded and found himself out of his comfort zone in a new city and team he seemed to loose his support system. I hope that he is more happy now than when he was in Buffalo. But based on the clip he seems to have regrets as to how things turned out for him. 

There is another aspect to this deal that is troubling. Did our GM do his due diligence when making this deal? If he would have talked to the player it would have become apparent that this player didn't want to come to Buffalo. Overall, I consider Botts to have done a good job managing this franchise. The ROR deal has turned out to be a boondoggle for us. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

i would not  attend  if I was in Ottawa either. Never been to a game there, but from reports really far out, owner who sucks, and a team that stinks.

Looked to me to be about 80% full last night from the TV views, not bad for a Monday night against the Devils.

Sabres 3-1-2 last 6, maybe having at the least steadied the ship, if not quite yet turned the ship around.

I need to see consecutive wins.  I bet we could find at least one stretch last year post-streak where they went 3-1-2.