Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

Oloffsson was a factor in both of our scores. In the McCabe goal Olofsson was standing in front of the Detroit net screening the goalie. And with the Reinhart goal on the PP he looked like he was going to shoot but instead made a pass to Reinhart in front of the net who directed the puck into the net. I thought that Olofsson moved around the ice more than he has in the previous games.  

19 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Miller would be my guess. He started strong, but has struggled a bit lately.

I don't know the nature of Scandella's injury so I'll put that issue aside. Because the schedule is so compressed I wouldn't be surprised if Miller, Scandella and maybe even Gilmour (who I thought played well) will be rotated. If I had to guess I would think that Montour would be paired with Dahlin.  

On 10/26/2019 at 7:57 AM, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Who's out when Montour comes back? 

Miller?

Can Montour play the left side? I believe he can. If so, I’d waive Scandella or look to trade him.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

12 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

The biggest mistake that Housley made was his failure to adjust. He was hardheaded and unyielding about his philosophy and system. If the players aren't grasping or are incapable of executing your system then you have to adjust to what the players can do. The biggest difference between Krueger and Housley is that Krueger has been brilliant in assessing the talent he has and adapting to what their strengths are and minimizing their liabilities. He has also been smart in putting together lines and pairings that fit well.

The distinction on how each of these coaches handled Risto, their workhorse defenseman, says it all. Risto is a physical player but he is not the greatest thinker on the ice. While Housley devised a defensive scheme that cluttered Risto's hard head Krueger devised a more simplistic scheme where he just had to play a more basic game.

I'm not as harsh a critic of Housley as some of the lynching crowd here. According to the link there were teams that wanted to bring him on board as an assistant coach. So he isn't seen as a lost cause. I hope that from his struggles in Buffalo he has learned the basic tenet about teaching: the emphasis is on the players and not on the strategy.  Players have to adapt and so do coaches.  

• Like (+1) 1

The attached link is a Paul Hamilton WGR article about John Gilmour being ready when called on. According to Paul H. Scandella is going to be between 2 to 3 weeks. The team having depth is not a problem to worry about as it is a situation to be happy about. The article also points out that Arizona is playing well with exceptional goaltending. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-gilmour-kept-himself-ready-his-opportunity

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

The attached link is a Paul Hamilton WGR article about John Gilmour being ready when called on. According to Paul H. Scandella is going to be between 2 to 3 weeks. The team having depth is not a problem to worry about as it is a situation to be happy about. The article also points out that Arizona is playing well with exceptional goaltending. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-gilmour-kept-himself-ready-his-opportunity

Yes!  Yotes exhibiting some tight tending! Can't let bad ones squeak in against teams like this!!!

Never great to blow a 2 goal lead, but that's a game the Sabres would have absolutely lost in regulation last year.  So it's good to see..  with the goaltending being better (so far) and the defense playing better...it resulted in a valuable point. 

One concerning aspect as told to me by a friend who attended the game.. the Sabres still don't possess the puck as much as they need to.  That will catch up to them.

9 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yes!  Yotes exhibiting some tight tending! Can't let bad ones squeak in against teams like this!!!

That was a fluke goal. The odds of that puck finding that small gap is miniscule. You can blame Hutton for that goal but you have to give him credit for a lot of other good stops. He kept the team in the game.  Arizona has been a teetering franchise on and off the ice for quite a while. Now the franchise is stable and the team is upcoming. 

6 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Never great to blow a 2 goal lead, but that's a game the Sabres would have absolutely lost in regulation last year.  So it's good to see..  with the goaltending being better (so far) and the defense playing better...it resulted in a valuable point. 

One concerning aspect as told to me by a friend who attended the game.. the Sabres still don't possess the puck as much as they need to.  That will catch up to them.

Mittelstadt was in a good golden position to score at least three times at the end of the game. He either hit the crossbar or shot it over the net. Eventually, he is going to convert those opportunities with a greater frequency

This was an entertaining game against evenly matched teams. I thought both teams gave good effort. I would like to see the Sabres be more inclined to shoot rather than pass when there are opportunities. On the play that Jack scored that was the type of situation where he would usually pass. Instead he shot and scored. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

That was a fluke goal. The odds of that puck finding that small gap is miniscule. You can blame Hutton for that goal but you have to give him credit for a lot of other good stops. He kept the team in the game.  Arizona has been a teetering franchise on and off the ice for quite a while. Now the franchise is stable and the team is upcoming. 

Mittelstadt was in a good golden position to score at least three times at the end of the game. He either hit the crossbar or shot it over the net. Eventually, he is going to convert those opportunities with a greater frequency

This was an entertaining game against evenly matched teams. I thought both teams gave good effort. I would like to see the Sabres be more inclined to shoot rather than pass when there are opportunities. On the play that Jack scored that was the type of situation where he would usually pass. Instead he shot and scored. 

Both goals against were flukey.  Hutton made a number of big stops that kept it tied.

Arizona played a tight style last night and the Sabres couldn't sustain much pressure for long stretches -- except that second period stretch when it seemed like the puck was in Arizona's end for 5 minutes (and they didn't capitalize).

Sabres give good effort, AND at times it is as though they're playing faster than their talent allows.  So there's a lot of times when passes bounce off sticks or pucks aren't kept in at the blueline, etc.  The good news is that the talent is close to catching up to the speed that they're playing at, and the pace isn't so fast that they're taking bad penalties.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, snafu said:

Both goals against were flukey.  Hutton made a number of big stops that kept it tied.

Arizona played a tight style last night and the Sabres couldn't sustain much pressure for long stretches -- except that second period stretch when it seemed like the puck was in Arizona's end for 5 minutes (and they didn't capitalize).

Sabres give good effort, AND at times it is as though they're playing faster than their talent allows.  So there's a lot of times when passes bounce off sticks or pucks aren't kept in at the blueline, etc.  The good news is that the talent is close to catching up to the speed that they're playing at, and the pace isn't so fast that they're taking bad penalties.

As the games start to add up I'm becoming more convinced that Olofsson is a drag on the Jack line when on 5x5. Olofsson is dynamite on the PP but his production and performance as a first line player isn't acceptable. I don't see an option in the system other than moving Skinner back to the top line. But making that move will affect the second line which is making a good contribution right now. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

As the games start to add up I'm becoming more convinced that Olofsson is a drag on the Jack line when on 5x5. Olofsson is dynamite on the PP but his production and performance as a first line player isn't acceptable. I don't see an option in the system other than moving Skinner back to the top line. But making that move will affect the second line which is making a good contribution right now. 

Olofsson's got a good, hard shot, but he keeps missing the net badly, so the puck ends up winding down the boards and out of the offensive zone.  His shot is useless if it isn't on net.  And I agree that he should be kept up on that first line (or another replacement besides Skinner made) because the second line is doing pretty well.

Just wanted to say the OT last night, as in almost all games, was positively amazing.

Even when Arizona was doing a lot of back tracking and the crowd was booing, I was loving it. 

3 on 3 hockey is super exciting.  It's a total chess match b/c everyone is paired up in a man-on-man defensive scheme, and you simply can't make a tactical mistake or let your man get by you, b/c it's an instant breakaway or odd man rush and glorious scoring chance if it happens.

And then once an odd-man situation develops, it usually gives rise to one going back the other way, and then one going back the other way, and so on, and the game can bust wide open into pure craziness very quickly.

When I finish watching these 3 on 3 OTs, I constantly ask myself "So why is the regular game 5 on 5 again?"

It's a different sport 3 on 3, and much, much more exciting, fun, and entertaining.

Just is.

I know the purists, the NHLPA, and most folks surrounding the game would never switch to 3 on 3 or deem it Mickey Mouse, but man, it's fun.

Edited by Nextmanup