Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

12 hours ago, Doc said:

Can Murray be blamed for Lehner being drinking himself silly while in Buffalo?

Lehner had extreme issues all the way back to his Binghamton days in the AHL where Murray was the GM of the team.

8 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Just finished watching Ralph's postgame presser, focusing the entire time on only one thing: his nose.

It's really quite magnificent.

Still can't decide if our new "10 game win streak" is for real or not.  

Time will tell.  Until then, enjoy the ride!

It feels a lot better than the 10 game streak. The Sabres are actually outplaying their opponents unlike last year when they were getting extremely lucky.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Big C said:

You guys seeing Sully and Jeremy White going at it on Twitter? Lol.

Love watching the Sabres this year. Feels very different from the hot start last year. 

Side note, I enjoy Biron's analysis.

Jerry's got blue balls right now because both teams are doing well. He can't write one of his usual hit pieces (he's now with AP believe it or not) without looking like a chump. Remember him railing against Beane for signing the multiple-time concussed Mitch Morse "out of desperation?" That take aged well.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 3

The attached link is WGR's Paul Hamilton writing a quick summary of the game. What the crowd is telling Jack is to shoot the freaking puck!

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-eichel-takes-over-game-win-over-san-jose

This link is a WGR post game comments by Krueger. It is a little longer than 4 minutes. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/10-22-ralph-krueger-post-game

Edited by JohnC
addition

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Jerry's got blue balls right now because both teams are doing well. He can't write one of his usual hit pieces (he's now with AP believe it not) without looking like a chump. Remember him railing against Beane for signing the multiple-time concussed Mitch Morse "out of desperation?" That take aged well.

:lol:

You just know he’s got all his hit pieces written and sitting in a drawer waiting to be unleashed. 

The below NHL.com link shows the team standings. The most impressive stat in the standings is that Buffalo leads the league with a +14. That indicates that our record is not a fluke. I'm not going to get carried away and say that the Sabres are an elite team because of their early record because I don't believe that assessment. However, I do believe that they are a demonstrating that they are not only a good team but an emerging team that because of its youthfulness  will get better. 

https://www.nhl.com/standings/2019/wildcard

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alaska Darin said:

Anyone who wants to know how much coaching matters only needs to watch the OT.  This is the first time since the 3-on-3 format was adopted that the Sabres looked like they had a clue of what they were doing.  TOTAL domination in the extra session.

I listened to about 3 minutes of GR this morning, and even they said something to the effect" dont want to throw dirt on the grave" when discussing Housley, its just hard to not see the difference coaching has made here. I had no clue if Krueger would be any good or not, but at least he is not throwing 17  and 6 out there to start every overtime.

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I listened to about 3 minutes of GR this morning, and even they said something to the effect" dont want to throw dirt on the grave" when discussing Housley, its just hard to not see the difference coaching has made here. I had no clue if Krueger would be any good or not, but at least he is not throwing 17  and 6 out there to start every overtime.

• Haha (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The below NHL.com link shows the team standings. The most impressive stat in the standings is that Buffalo leads the league with a +14. That indicates that our record is not a fluke. I'm not going to get carried away and say that the Sabres are an elite team because of their early record because I don't believe that assessment. However, I do believe that they are a demonstrating that they are not only a good team but an emerging team that because of its youthfulness  will get better. 

https://www.nhl.com/standings/2019/wildcard

It's an incredibly minor thing, but I'll point out that the +14 does include the fake goal awarded for winning that one shootout.  It doesn't change your point one bit, but I really wish the NHL wouldn't include those in their official stats.  Anyway, I wanted to say that the number of OT wins gives me a little doubt, but looking over the schedule, there's actually been less of those than I thought.  I guess that's the problem when they play 3 west coast games that I can't watch, all I remember is the three consecutive OT games just prior to that trip.  So far, they're different than last year.  I don't see that quit that I was so worried about, particularly in a game like last night after falling behind 2-0 early.

Speaking of OT, that one last night was great.  They lost control of the puck just once during the entire 3 minutes.  Granted that one loss of control lead to a rush the other way, but they completely controlled the entire OT.

12 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

In retrospect, the only remotely, slightly, possible silver lining to keeping Housley for the entire '18 season was the off-chance that the interim coach would be decent enough to prevent a full on coaching search that landed Ralph.

5 minutes ago, shrader said:

Speaking of OT, that one last night was great.  They lost control of the puck just once during the entire 3 minutes.  Granted that one loss of control lead to a rush the other way, but they completely controlled the entire OT.

But man the hustle on Casey to backcheck and get in the passing lane and steal the puck was just awesome to watch. If you have the game on DVR, go back and watch that play and focus on 37...just awesome

1 minute ago, GG said:

In retrospect, the only remotely, slightly, possible silver lining to keeping Housley for the entire '18 season was the off-chance that the interim coach would be decent enough to prevent a full on coaching search that landed Ralph.

true dat...but Ralph got a long way to go before we crown his ass?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

But man the hustle on Casey to backcheck and get in the passing lane and steal the puck was just awesome to watch. If you have the game on DVR, go back and watch that play and focus on 37...just awesome

true dat...but Ralph got a long way to go before we crown his ass?

Holy crap! I just had a chance to rewatch that play and wow! That’s as major league as it gets. Just great desire and then the situational awareness to make the play.

I love offense and skill and talent and great playmaking as much as the next guy, but I RESPECT defensive effort in sports more than anything. Defense is ALL heart and desire and guts and it doesn’t get the accolades that a great offensive skill play gets, but it’s just so integral to success.

Casey was gassed after that sprint and exhaustion often brings out the worst in players immediately afterward, but he still had the poise and awareness to control the puck and wait for a better play to develop. I say that’s the best play he’s made since he’s been here. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, shrader said:

It's an incredibly minor thing, but I'll point out that the +14 does include the fake goal awarded for winning that one shootout.  It doesn't change your point one bit, but I really wish the NHL wouldn't include those in their official stats.  Anyway, I wanted to say that the number of OT wins gives me a little doubt, but looking over the schedule, there's actually been less of those than I thought.  I guess that's the problem when they play 3 west coast games that I can't watch, all I remember is the three consecutive OT games just prior to that trip.  So far, they're different than last year.  I don't see that quit that I was so worried about, particularly in a game like last night after falling behind 2-0 early.

You are punctilious. ?

The below link is a WGR interview with Ralph Krueger. He made some positive comments about Mitts and how he is working hard and coming along. This is a 13 min segment. The coach is so illuminating. How many coaches would use the term "harmonizing on and off performances"?

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/krueger-have-system-where-we-let-players-genius-execute

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, K-9 said:

All the underlying analytics tell us it’s real. 

Yes and no.

For example, Hutton has played in 6 of our game and has an outstanding .943 save percentage.

That's not typical of his performance and that will almost certainl drop of, just as it did last year.

One of the biggest reasons for our "tale of 2 teams" last year was the goaltending leading up to the new year, and after.

After January 1st, we had one of the worst goaltending duos in the league.

Ullmark's % after 4 games is much more realistic at .913.

If things cool off, I think we'll see that both goaltender's save percentages have dropped.