Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

A few observations about last nights games: Johansson plays much better as a winger than as a center. He just seems more comfortable playing the wing. It appears to me that recently Miller is playing better and Krueger has gained more confidence in him. I thought Hutton played well. When we get good goaltending we can stay in most games. I like Krueger a lot as a coach and his decision-making. Not playing Skinner with Jack, even temporarily in order for him to overcome his slump, makes no sense to me. It's very puzzling to understand Krueger's reasoning in playing Vesey on that Jack line. The coach is being stubborn on this issue.  

The below link is Krueger on WGR. It is a 15 min segment. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/02-12-sabres-head-coach-ralph-krueger

Edited by JohnC

46 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Frolick is a fourth line player who can be useful as a penalty killer. He was traded for Scandella who was one of our excess defenders and was also on the last year of his contract. We got a bottom line forward for a bottom line defender who wasn't going to be on the team next year. What did you expect to get in the exchange: Austin Mathews? Frolick at best is a useful player whose addition in a limited way better balances the this year's roster. There is a good chance that Frolick like Scandella wasn't going to be if he wasn't dealt.  

If you are going to freak out I recommend that you do it on a transaction that is more worthy of be stressed for. This deal doesn't fall in that category. 

Taking on his salary cap for this year didn't exactly help with roster maneuverability.  It's like Bots just did the Flames a favor. I agree that in the long term he is gone or much cheaper anyway but for this year the pickup was utterly pointless.  Just keep the pick we originally got for Scandella.

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'll be curious to see what Montreal gets when they trade Scandella.  That will be the ultimate evaluation of that trade.

I don't see Montreal getting much for Scandella because he is going to be a free agent. But whatever they get for him is their issue. The Sabres made a deal that they felt was in their interest. In my view however it works out for Montreal is irrelevant from the Sabres' perspective. We got a player in Frolick who we felt will for the short term will help us in the penalty kill and as a fourth line player. From a trade evaluation standpoint this was an even/fair deal that served each team's short team needs. 

Attached is a link of a discussion with Greg Wyshynski from ESPN NHL on WGR. This is a 22 min segment discussing the state of the Sabres and plenty of other NHL hockey talk. I agree with much of what he says about the Sabres which leans toward dealing in the offseason when the organization has plenty of cap space. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/2-12-greg-wyshynski-espn-nhl

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

A few observations about last nights games: Johansson plays much better as a winger than as a center. He just seems more comfortable playing the wing. It appears to me that recently Miller is playing better and Krueger has gained more confidence in him. I thought Hutton played well. When we get good goaltending we can stay in most games. I like Krueger a lot as a coach and his decision-making. Not playing Skinner with Jack, even temporarily in order for him to overcome his slump, makes no sense to me. It's very puzzling to understand Krueger's reasoning in playing Vesey on that Jack line. The coach is being stubborn on this issue.  

The below link is Krueger on WGR. It is a 15 min segment. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/02-12-sabres-head-coach-ralph-krueger

It’s cruel and unusual punishment to have Skinner on a line with ERod and Frolik, two of the most useless players on the team. You mentioned above that Frolik is useful. In what way? PK? Big whip. The next good thing he does for this team will be the first. Then again, his complete lack of production is fits in nicely with the rest of the stiffs populating the roster currently. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

It’s cruel and unusual punishment to have Skinner on a line with ERod and Frolik, two of the most useless players on the team. You mentioned above that Frolik is useful. In what way? PK? Big whip. The next good thing he does for this team will be the first. Then again, his complete lack of production is fits in nicely with the rest of the stiffs populating the roster currently. 

I really like Krueger but I don't get why Skinner isn't with Eichel.  His entire year has been wasted.

• Like (+1) 1

The attached link is a Mike Harrington Buffalo News column on Dahlin. The theme of the article is that a special young talent is getting better as he gains experience. There is a beauty and nuance to his game that is apparent to even those who don't closely follow the sport.  

Krueger has been pairing him with a variety of partners. An intriguing issue is which defenseman on the roster paired with him will put him in the best situation to enhance his talents? 

https://buffalonews.com/2020/02/12/rasmus-dahlin-nhl-buffalo-sabres-2/

Edited by JohnC

I don’t really want to see Larsson traded. He’s one of the only true centers left on the roster, and he’s one of the only guys who plays with any type of edge/grit to their game. He’s also one of the only players that can be counted on to give a full effort every night.

IMO they should be looking to re-sign him. They need more guys that can play center, not less.

The rest, go ahead and trade them. Idgaf.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I don’t really want to see Larsson traded. He’s one of the only true centers left on the roster, and he’s one of the only guys who plays with any type of edge/grit to their game. He’s also one of the only players that can be counted on to give a full effort every night.

IMO they should be looking to re-sign him. They need more guys that can play center, not less.

If you can get some good value then by all means trade him.  They'll have a chance to re-sign him in the offseason if they really want, but at the same time, it's not a huge loss if he doesn't want to.

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Exacatickly.  Larsson provides some value.  The rest remind me of the title a very old Genesis song:

The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging.

Play it pre-game on the Jumbotron:

Look at some of the lyrics and tell me it isn't creepy.

Regarding Eichel:

"Dishing out fail safe superlative, Brother John is number 9."

Regarding the overall roster:

"Grand parade of lifeless packaging all ready to use.  Grand parade of lifeless packaging I just need a fuse."

Regarding Bots roster building:

"Got people stocked in every shade, must be doing well with trade.  Stamped, addressed in odd fatality."

Regarding the playing style:

"No bite at all in labor bondage, just wrinkled wrappers or human bandage."

I mean, it's like they knew.

Unfortunately post game we'll usually have to play "Fly on a Windshield".

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/opinion/olofsson-and-okposo-return-to-the-lineup-against-columbus

Olofsson and Okposo back in the lineup tonight. 

I’ll be at the game, so I fully expect another loss. But at least I’ll get to see Olofsson.

and i will be at a swim meet, and they win when i don't watch. 

Hmm, an unstoppable force meets an unmovable object....my streak is the unmovable object, lets see who wins out!

• Haha (+1) 1

Some observations about this game: Getting Olofsson back gave the first line and team a boost. He's a tremendous shooter and finisher. Columbus has absorbed a lot of injuries but they are still a tough team to play. They play a physical and tight game that doesn't give you much room when you are in the offensive zone. I thought that although Skinner didn't score a goal he played well. He was instrumental in the Rodrigues goal. I thought Hutton was solid. When this team gets good goaltending it can compete with all teams on most nights. That is not to say that they are the better team but can be competitive when the goaltending is solid. Our defensive corps are excellent skaters and are good moving the puck out of their zone. Jack is Great. There is no question that he is a physical talent but what elevates him to the highest level is his vision. His set up in overtime to Olofsson for the winning score was magnificent.  I still want him to shoot more!

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 3

Will wonders cease?! Evan “boobs on a nun” Rodriguez actually made a great play and scored a goal! 

I’ll give them all the credit in the world for coming back and winning the game as Columbus is not an easy team to come from behind on. 

Three games vs. Columbus and all three went to OT. The Blue Jackets must be sick of seeing Eichel with the puck, too. Sure, his giveaway in OT against Columbus in the first meeting this season lost us the game, but it’s almost like Eichel remembers that and carries it with him when we play these guys cause he has atoned in a huge way in the last two games. 

Agree with @JohnC about Eichel’s vision. He’s a good goal scorer, but an absolutely elite passer. Just a great play in OT to Olofsson to win it tonight. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

and i will be at a swim meet, and they win when i don't watch. 

Hmm, an unstoppable force meets an unmovable object....my streak is the unmovable object, lets see who wins out!

I win!   Edit -, wait, or you win? lol 

Eh, whatever. I finally got to see a win in person. My streak would’ve hit 3 years if they had lost tonight.

Edited by BillsFan4